Bluescreen when using Air Video Server

Annihilator

Bluescreen when gaming, among other things

Hi,
I edited this post a little. At first it only happened when streaming videos, now I noticed it happens when playing games too.

After I had the same thing yesterday (and the bluescreen always gives a 124 error, which apparently is supposed to be something hardware related), I scanned all my harddrives with seatools over night, but they all passed with flying colors.

The PC had been running overnight, and all day today. All day long I used it, unrard things, played rather taxing games, watched a HD movie and worked in 3DS Max and Photoshop. No problem at all. Now suddenly it appears after around 10 minutes of playing Skyrim.

I'd appreciate if someone could help me here. Maybe someone can look at the minidumps? (Second post)

I'm using Windows 7 x64
8GB Ram
GTX 470
AMD Phenom II x4 black edition at 3,4 GHZ

Oh man. I'm sorry, it was late when I wrote that, and I forgot that. I included them now. Thank you!

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    65.9 KB · Views: 9
HAL.dll is the offending file... This usually means that the boot.ini record is corrupt, but you can boot okay

I see, thanks a lot for checking it out. How would I go about fixing this? I can boot and do everything else ok, yeah. It only crashes when using Air Video Server to stream a movie.

Edit: Ok, correction: now it crashed while playing Skyrim. With the same error. :(
Edit2: So I went ahead and opened CMD and went with SFC/scannow. It said it did find corrupt files and would replace them at the next reboot. So I rebooted. It didn't say if something or what was fixed though. I could upload the CBS log if you need it.
I read the 124 error means it's a hardware problem, but the ram and hdd's tested fine.

Edit3: Also I did another scan with SFC and it again said it found corrupt files.
Edit4: Tried playing Skyrim again and monitoring my temps. At the point it crashed the CPU was at 54 degree Celsius, the gpu was at 75 degree Celsius.
Edit5: I tried to do a system restore, but all my restore points are gone. Only one is from today, and that won't do me any good. Tried startup repair, but that tells me the DVD is from a different version of Windows so it can't do the repair. Which isn't true. I only have this Win 7 dvd and it's the one I installed from. Just amazing. Now I don't know what to do anymore at all.

Please, can someone help me with this? It crashes every time I start Battlefield 3 too. And it when using 3DS Max and Photoshop, though there at random times.

I made it crash with BF3 2 times now, but although the bluescreen said "dumping physical memory to disk complete" it didn't save a minidump. I have no idea why, so I can't upload that. :(

Tmagic650, you found something out at least. Can you tell me how I can fix this?

I'm a bit desperate now, I pretty much can't do anything I need my computer for, and games don't work either.

Can you run SFC once more? If it still finds corrupted files, the hard drive is suspect. Are you over-clocking?

I just ran SFC again, and it still says there are corrupted files. Here is the link to the CBS.log (395kb zip file)

Additionally I managed to do a repair with the Windows 7 disk, but the problem persists.

I disabled AMD's cool and quiet in the BIOS, after that battlefield 3 and skyrim, and also video converting, ran for way longer. Could play BF3 for 30 minutes or so. I then stopped and started video converting, but after around 10 minutes of that the PC froze so I had to restart.

Does this mean it could be the CPU?

Set the bios to optimum defaults and see if things run better, especially if you changed any other bios settings

I had done that before I changed the cool and quiet setting, sadly that didn't help at all. I can't easily replace the harddrive because I don't have a spare at the moment, but I'll get on that. Is it likely that the CPU is the problem, or do you think the harddrive is a better candidate for that? Would you first change the HDD because of the SFC finding corrupt files every time, or should I change the CPU first?

Edit: Small update: As I was getting ready to backup my system drive and copied over some files, I got another bluescreen. I wasn't doing anything taxing meanwhile, just copying over files. So maybe the harddrive is really on it's way to the grave. I'm gonna make sure to get all my stuff off of it and try to get a new one in here.

I now did a clean install on a new drive. So far everything seems to be going fine. I'll update as to if it works.

Sad news. :( After it seemed to go well I just had the same thing happen. Bluescreen with error 124. I had put in a new hdd (ssd this time) and did a clean install of Windows 7. I got another minidump file though, which I attached.

Attachments

• 020912-11200-01.zip
    20.5 KB · Views: 3
It's a very non-discrepant error... HAL.DLL, must be a bios setting or memory voltage adjustment, or program incompatibility. Is everything in the bios stock, and no over-clocking done?

Yeah it is, I also reset the bios to optimized defaults, just in case. There is no overclocking going on either. I've had crashes with various programs, sometimes when just copying files.

So I tested it now with different ram in a different ram slot, and it still crashes. However, since I put the SSD in, it seemingly takes longer to crash. Coincidentally I had both case sides open since I did that. Could this error come from overheating? I measured the temps before, but at the time of the crash the CPU didn't seem overly hot (from what the program said on the other monitor, when everything froze). Something around 54°C. (129 Fahrenheit)

Wouldn't surprise me, I had to send mainboards from gigabyte 2 times before, one of those times it was this one. Sending this to RMA on a hunch is a really big hassle, but I think at this point I have no other choice.

Alright, I'm back.

I just got my mainboard back (took a very long time as you can see) and they switched it for a new one. The problem however persists! I could vomit right now.

Tried to play Battlefield 3 -> Bluescreen error 124.

I don't know what to do right now. Not sure if it could be the cpu, but since Gigabyte took such a long time to get this back to me, the warranty has run out on the cpu. (It was until the 13th of March).

Could someone just help me what I could do now?

The video card is fine, I'm sure, because I've had it running fine in another computer I used in the meantime. (Not a single bluescreen with that)

Okay, geeze :eek: Can you post any new minidumps. Can you check the memory voltages for me? 1.58 or a bit higher

Back