Lincoln's latest luxury SUV includes a 48-inch 4K digital dashboard

Daniel Sims

Staff
In context: Ford is the latest company to adopt the growing trend of using extra-large dashboard screens for digitized driver interfaces. Despite growing concerns that too much technology distracts drivers, the automaker insists it is taking a careful approach that prioritizes efficiency and customization without diverting drivers' attention from the road.

The 2024 Lincoln Nautilus will feature a 48-inch 4K screen that occupies the entire dashboard. Combined with a conventional 11-inch center panel, the new system promises increased flexibility and efficiency while maintaining safety.

Ford placed the panel just underneath the windshield to minimize the distance drivers need to shift their eyes to glance at it, thus aiming to minimize distraction. Furthermore, it isn't a touchscreen. All controls are on the steering wheel and the middle panel; the dashboard displays critical driving information.

The information is divided into three sections based on priority to replicate the typical driving experience. The most crucial part of the interface, including the speedometer and fuel indicator, appears on the left side behind the steering wheel. Meanwhile, navigation information and drive modes occupy the center. The passenger side portion of the panel displays details such as time, weather, and tire conditions.

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are supported, allowing drivers to extend mobile apps across the massive screen. The Nautilus will also utilize the latest version of Ford's in-house Android-based operating system. A significant update for the company's OS, called Sync, has faced considerable delays and will have a different, yet-to-be-revealed name when it arrives in the Nautilus, but it will incorporate numerous apps and other software features.

When parked, entertainment options include YouTube, Spotify, PBS Kids, Amazon Prime Video, Amazon Music, Audible, and more. Notably, the infotainment system supports Bluetooth game controllers and a selection of Google Play Store games, including a Ford-exclusive version of Asphalt Nitro 2. Moreover, the in-car OS includes productivity apps to facilitate work calls and the Vivaldi web browser. New features, including Google Chrome, will come later through over-the-air updates.

A similar panoramic in-car panel appeared in BOE's CES 2024 exhibit. The company's 45-inch touchscreen, which debuted in the Geely Galaxy E8, doubles Ford's resolution to 8K for a near-retina pixel density. A 9K Oxide Mini LED variant of the same size with a 90Hz refresh rate and 1500-nit brightness is also planned.

Permalink to story.

It's pretty cool looking, but what could you possibly show there that isn't distracting?

Speed limit? Ok
Navigation? Sure.
Weather? A giant clock? Tire pressure? meh

Reminds me of desktop widgets. Some people like those I guess.

Driving down the road...the display freaks out. Sorry, just more non needed BS in a vehicle to
increase the price of the vehicle AND what it costs to repair/replace.

Try to ponder on my statement here: there is NO stopping for car manufacturer to produce ICE cars with the similar blinks, gizmos, all oled displays everywhere, and motorized sliders and popups of small things and whatnots.

None. Yet they don't. Isn't it weird?

Minimises distraction, sure....
I mean, of course many of us want some kind of integration with our phone maybe so we can have maps and music etc. in the car, but why the hell have they now become computers on wheels, like who the hell needs a screen that big to more than likely still not tell them everything they need to drive? And of course not even thinking about what happens if any of this breaks, which it more than likely will, considering cars these days feel like they are built more like a white good that is destined to break than actual engineering, add a screen and some digital items, sure, but what was wrong with normal dials and physical buttons that you don't have to hunt for when you are "distracted", by say....driving properly?

I cannot blame the automakers, it’s the ***** public that have associated more, bigger screens with luxury, at the expense of all other interior design elements.

I HATE digital displays like this. They are expensive to replace, they glitch out when you lease expect it, and unlike normal sensors or gauges it,s much harder for third parties to replicate, so in 5 years when Ford decides to stop making electronic parts, you are just ROYALLY screwed on replacements. These all digital displays are very much so anti consumer, but consumers will gobble them up and defend them. /sigh

I also hate them because personally, it takes my eyes a second or two to adjust from looking at the brightly lit road to the digital display cluster. Checking my speed should take 2+ seconds to read. On a gauge, I can tell immediately where my speed is without reading the numbers.

Some will say "well just dont buy a display, let people have choices!" and ignore that we are rapidly approaching a time where there is no choice, only displays.
I cannot blame the automakers, it’s the ***** public that have associated more, bigger screens with luxury, at the expense of all other interior design elements.
Yup. Same reason we dont get coupes, wagons, small utility trucks, proper SUVs, why software as a service took off, why subscriptions are everywhere, ece.
When did we completely lose the sense of what cars are for?
When people saw them as a fashion accessory instead of a tool. People buy new cars like they buy phones, constantly trading them in on debt and pushing the problem to tomorrow.

The reason I bought my 2020 GLI was entirely because the 21 models used digital displays for everything. I HATE that, and bought the last one with analog gauges. I'll be keeping that as long as possible.

It's pretty cool looking, but what could you possibly show there that isn't distracting?

Speed limit? Ok
Navigation? Sure.
Weather? A giant clock? Tire pressure? meh

Reminds me of desktop widgets. Some people like those I guess.

Touchpad size is too small. I love the 15" screen on my MYP. MS and MX have 17". No need for the dash screen. Once I started driving without a dash, I realized how useless it is. Did not miss it for a minute.

All the things on the dash can be placed on the touchscreen. Speed is in top left corner. When driving, most of the screen is navigation on the right and your car on the left. When using turn signals you can position the video feed that pops up almost anywhere on the screen. No need to see tire pressures live. If they go low, an icon will appear and you can click it to view the pressures or just press the Service if you're curious. Outside temp is at the top of the screen and HVAC temp is at the bottom left and right.

Driving down the road...the display freaks out. Sorry, just more non needed BS in a vehicle to
increase the price of the vehicle AND what it costs to repair/replace.

You do realize this is not jsut an addition but a replacement for a million mechanical parts that also cost to repair and replace.

Try to ponder on my statement here: there is NO stopping for car manufacturer to produce ICE cars with the similar blinks, gizmos, all oled displays everywhere, and motorized sliders and popups of small things and whatnots.

None. Yet they don't. Isn't it weird?

Developing a platform is very expensive and retooling a factory is also very expensive. Add to it that traditional automakers like to keep the cars as is for around 5y. That's why the electric only automakers are so far ahead. The big 3 just pushed back their EV models. I still wonder how the car unions will react when they need to let go of most of them since there is very few parts in EV models. EV manufactuers don't have car unions or dealerships.

Also, do you think all that electric stuff can run off the 12v car battery? That thing lasts 4y max as is in perfect weather conditions. Tesla's main 400v battery is constantly charging the 12v lithium ion battery so there is ample capacity. In more than one car I owed, I left the blinkers on for a few minutes and came back to a dead battery. I lost count of how many car batteries I purchased in my life. Park it outside in the winter overnight and you're playing russian roulette if it will start the next day. If it doesn't, the battery is shot and you need a new one. These batteries once they go below a certain voltage, will not recover.

I drive a 20 year old truck, so this looks crazy to me. I don't see what the point of all the screen real estate is. It will look very outdated in 10 years, maybe even less. Do these screens somehow improve your driving over the basic gauges that cars have had for literal decades?

You do realize this is not jsut an addition but a replacement for a million mechanical parts that also cost to repair and replace.
Yeah, but with the mechanical ones, what are the odds ALL of them go out together? If the DISPLAY freaks out, you can't read any of them.

Back