TechSpot

booting 2 os

By wacind
Feb 18, 2004
  1. hi
    im pretty new to this forum, however i know a bit of what i am trying to do, just having a hard time doing it

ive read through some posts about this issue, but couldnt really find anything exactly like my problem

on one of my computers, i have a single hard disc with 2 partions of equal size, c and d drives.
    on c drive i have winxp home and on d drive i have winxp prof.

when i start the computer, a screen comes up where i choose which os to go into

i have been using winxp prof and thus want to remove home edition that is on the c drive.

however when i look for the boot.ini file, only the c drive or the home edition seems to have one. i cant find the boot.ini file in the d drive.

so im not sure if i want to change the boot.ini file

any help would be appreciated
    thanks

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

There is always only one boot.ini file used and only one bootloader installed for windows. You have to change the boot.ini. No going around that.

Or you could format the c: drive and then repair the xp pro installation.

3. wacind

wacind TS Rookie Topic Starter

if i format the c drive, then repair the xp pro installation, will that cause me to loose all my files on the d drive ?

4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

On the C-drive you can get rid of your XP-Home very simply.
    Boot into XP-Pro.
    Copy any personal files that you want to save from the C-drive into a new (let's call it C-Save) directory. Then delete all other directories, but keep your hands off all files in the root-directory of C. These are the likes of boot.ini, boot.bak, ntldr, cmldr, ntdetect.com.
    Don't know if XP still has autoexec.bat, config.sys and msdos.sys, all with filesize = 0. Keep these as well.
    You can delete any other files you find in the root, like .log and .txt etc.

No need to format the C-drive.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.