Booting problem in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reil

Since being “fixed” by the G... Sq..., my computer no longer boots correctly, but goes thru a double require selection. “Boot MRI PE …” or “Client OS” (I have to choose the second – quickly), and then:
“windows default” or “windows default” (I have to arrow up to the first listing – quickly).

My “time to display” is already off-checked, and the edit file already reads:
[boot loader]
timeout=2
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /fastdetect

How can I take the system back to its correct, direct booting?

Hello Reil

Go to System properties by rt clicking My Computer then properties or go to control panel and click System.

In System properties click Advanced Tab then Startup and Recovery, settings, then edit.

First change Time out to 15 - 20 secs.

Then copy the screen and post it back so I can see and advise.

Save the settings before closing System properties.

Mike

boot problem

Mike: Thanks for the reply.

At the suggestion of someone else, the edit was changed to the following:

[boot loader]
timeout=20
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition"/noexecute=optin/fastdetect

Result: Same problem - two boot screen choices required before going to XP.

reil

Is this the entire settigs screen?

Setting the Time to 20 instead of 2 only gives you more time to make choice.

Go back and click edit and copy and paste the entire settings screen back to this thread..

Mike

boot problem

Yep; this is the entire screen in the edit:

[boot loader]
timeout=20
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition"/noexecute=optin/fastdetect

For easily making it to load normally simply do that:

Boot from the Windows XP CDROM, then choose Recovery console and then when the MSDOS page is open do that:

Run:

Then run:

bootcfg /rebuild
fixboot
fixmbr

And just restart it and your windows will load as normal.

I'm afraid to do that?

My XP came with the computer, and the system operating disc from Gateway says:
"Insert this disc, close all programs ..restart your computer ... [etc.]" and concludes with:

"WARNING: Process erases all data and files from the hard drive".

I was just researching what GS does, thought it may come in handy to keep the GS WinPe boot as a possible resource in time of trouble.

Before making changes.

Copy and Paste the boot.ini to a Backup folder for backup.

Then open and post contents so we may can see it. Before you change it.

What ever you do backup the original.

Mike

boot problem in xp

Thanks, again, to both of you for all this effort.

I've followed the microsoft procedure, including noting that the partition number in the example says "(1)" [not 2]; so I changed that.

This is the file now:

[boot loader]
timeout=20
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition"/fastdetect

I've made a copy of this on my C directory, and I've rebooted.

Same result: have to answer two screens to get into XP. The first screen I have to arrow down to "Client OS"; the second screen I have to arrow up to the first instance of "window default".

They have replaced the Windows standard Boot loader with a custom boot loader.

Hey wait did they leave a CD in one of your drives or perhaps a Flash drive? If so remove and reboot.

Else: do the below

Boot to their selection. The WinPE will look a little different but look at the Boot settings here just as you did while booted up to your windows System-Advanced-Startup and recovery-Edit .

If you have internet access and you should, paste that here.

Mike

Oh Geeze how did I overlook this, and I am not sure why it even worked for you when you changed the 2 to a 1.
Make it read just like below or you can copy and paste.

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Mike

boot problem in XP

Nope; nope; and nope.

No CD left, no Flash left, and the system will not boot to their "PE" (windows error regarding missing or corrupted data).

did your last post; now I'm communicating from my laptop.

the desktop (the subject of our discussion) won't boot after that last change; system error.

missing or corrupt
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install

Sorry but that is a danger especially not knowing what they have done.

The OS is there just will not boot. So don't worry!

The simplest way to get it back is borrow a XP CD and Boot into Recovery console.

Here are some links to help you if you get to recovery console.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330184

http://commandwindows.com/recovery.htm

http://www.pnelsoncomposer.com/FAQs/RecoveryConsole.html

Likely the number should have been 1 instead of 2.

Normally it is 2 and is only 2 if there is a Hidden partition.

Do not try to format or do a destructive repair/recover as all we need to do is fix the Boot ini.

As a last resort we can build a WinPE disk as in the UBCD4Win and fix it.

But just to get to Recovery console it does not have to be your disk so try to borrow one.

I will try to be here for you except for sleep to help.

Mike

boot problem in XP

Thanks, again and again.

I think I'm done for the night; will go at it again tomorrow.

Thank you very much for your time.

If I understand well that you mentioned is that another loader have been installed then the best way is to do that I told you before.

It's safe I did it a lot of time when I uninstall Windows Vista and Server from my PC and it work everytime. This process will scan for Windows setup on you PC and will restore the Windows XP boot loader. You may go it's safe I repeat.

Thank you all for the effort in trying to help. I really appreciate it.

I tried the restore disc from Gateway (didn't want to ask anyone for their XP Restore), and got an endless loop on the restore function. Having run out of patience, I did the complete Restore, and am now trying to reconstruct 2.5 years of programs and data. Fortunately, I have a lot of discs and a backup of most data. So far, a tedious 18 hours, and not nearly half complete.

There are worse things in life. One of the better things in life is meeting people who spend a lot of time trying to help.

Thanks again.

Hi Reil

I am so sorry this happened!

This is the type of thing that happens when you do not have the real XP CD as opposed to the Recovery CD.

More sorry because it would be so simple to fix from the recovery console.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back