Booting problems

I have a Compaq Presario SR2010NX desktop computer. Very occasionally, the computer would freeze and give me the BSOD. Recently it has been freezing but the screen would scramble. It almost looks like someone chopped up the picture on the screen and put it back together wrong. Then we would have to manually shut down the computer and restart. It would always work fine afterwards.

Well it did it again a couple days ago. It restarted fine but when my boyfriend tried to install a new mouse the computer froze again and the screen went scrambled. Well this time it did not start back up. I tried to unplug the computer from the wall and restart but that got me to the COMPAQ screen and then the computer froze again and the word compaq was doubled all the way down the screen. We continued to try to start it in PC recovery but it would get to the program and freeze. I actually got it to run once but I couldn't see what it was doing because the screen was scrambled.

Now we have restarted it so many times that it will start up, light turns green, and stays green. Usually it turns orange when its thinking. The fans are running and sound louder than normal. The computer doesn't do anything and the screen is black. The lights on the keyboard do not turn on but the light in the mouse does. The CD drive will light up and run as well but nothing happens after that. I can't see the cursor and the keyboard does not work.

I opened the computer up, cleaned the dust off, tried to re-install my old RAM and that did not work either. I disconnected the CD drive but that did not work. Tried to start the computer with nothing plugged in except mouse, keyboard and monitor and that did not work. Replaced the CMOS battery, that did not work.

I am not sure what else to do. I also think another problem may be related. A year or so ago the computer stopped recognizing the CD-RW drive. I could not get Microsoft Media player to recognize the drive. I finally found a fix for it and got I Tunes to work. Ever since then I have not been able to use Microsoft Media Player.

Back