BOOTMGR is missing, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a strange problem I have failed to resolve & would like to see if anybody has had a similar issue.

I recently bought a new HD753LJ hard drive on to which I clean installed Windows 7 (64bit).
However, each time I turn my computer On, after it has been turned off for several hours, I get the following message:

BOOTMGR is missing, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot

A reboot solves the issue. Also the computer starts fine on subsequent starts/reboots when the computer has only been Off for short periods. I have checked the BIOS boot order, changed SATA cables & replaced the CMOS battery. When I run the Windows 7 CD repair manager it finds no issues. Please help as I am at a dead end. Thanks.

System Details

AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800+
ASROCK 939 DUAL SATA II
HDD SATA port1: Samsung HD753LJ(604Gb) – Windows 7
HDD SATA port2: Hitachi(115Gb) - Backup
HDD IDE: Samsung(250Gb) – Blank
Corsair(VS1GBKIT400) 2Gb
Corsair HX Series 520W Modular PSU

No boot.ini in Windows 7 :suspiciou

Windows 7 needs to make a 100MB Reserved partition which is the active boot partition and needs to be at the start of the boot drive. If you are booting to another drive or partition first like XP or Vista this could be your problem.

Sometimes it can also be another Primary boot drive (XP or Vista ?) plugged into your computer
Are you running dual boot? And do you have multiple hard drives present?

Sometimes its just as easy to unplug all other extra drives, and just Repair Windows 7 Startup, using your Windows 7 Setup disc

Thanks for the reply.

Yesterday a user on another thread suggested rebuilding the BCD, which I have done. The PC booted from cold fine this morning but I will have to monitor over a few days to see if it has solved the strange problem. Fingers crossed.

Hi,

Thanks for the help. Problem resolved. Over overclocking my CPU in Windows 7 does not give a blue screen of death anymore; instead the BCD got corrupt.

Cheers

Similar issue (same fix?)

Hello,

I've got a similar issue. I have 3 HD's in my machine. My primary boot drive is seen as Disk2. Disk0 and Disk1 are 1.5Tb data drives. When I installed Win 7 Pro x64, it boots fine as long as a Win7 install disk is in the DVD drive, but if it's removed I get a BootMGR is missing message. I ran the install disk and told it to fix startup errors. It couldn't find anything. What do I need to add and/or remove to allow it to boot without having the DVD in the drive? As I'm typing this I'm wondering, would swapping SATA cables around work?

Thanks,
Jim

my best bet would be first of, make sure your intended windows 7 disk is put in the sata0 port. Then disconnect all other harddrives while installing windows 7.

Install win7 fresh.

then connect the other harddrives when install is finished

Try the following:

Check the BIOS HDD boot order.
Disable old, non new windows HDD in BIOS.
See if it works.

If not repair Boot with W7 cd then reinstall other HDDs.

The cables swap did nothing for me. My issue was too much overclock on my CPU. Odd because in Vista an over-overclock just caused a Blue Scrren of Death. In W7 I lost my BCD integrity.

Cheers

Follow-up on solution

Hey all, Just wanted to post a follow-up with final disposition. I ended up biting the bullet and started from scratch. I pulled the cables on all the drives, then put the drive I'll be booting from onto Sata-0. I then reformatted and reloaded Win7Pro. Once it was up and booting properly without the CD in, I added my other drives back and repointed my documents and such over to the other drives. I'm lucky in one respect, I keep my OS partition pretty clean. All documents, downloads, and data files are kept on a different drive. I've just got to load the OS and all my applications (that's where the pain comes in).
Thanks for the assist.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back