TechSpot

Brother printer IP keeps changing

By ervtwl
Sep 19, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. Hello,

Please help provide instructions to prevent this from happening whenever the internet or power goes out. I always have to change the ip under tcp/ip port monitor in order to use the printer again. Thank you.

Router: Actiontec
    Model: GT784WNV
    Printer: Brother MFC-8810DW

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,351   +622

You need a FIXED address for the printer - - we typically do this in the router as an Address Reservation, where the MAC of the printer is assigned a constant IP address, typically at the high end of the router's subnet, but not x.255

3. ervtwl

ervtwl TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you for your response. Would you be able to guide me through this process? It's a hassle having to do this every time internet goes down.

4. ervtwl

So I went ahead and logged in to my router, chose the Mac address of the printer and selected an available IP from the drop down box and pick one IP. We're these the right steps?

5. jobeard

Yes!! good for you. Just make sure the printer address has the same three numbers as the router's first three;
    eg: if the router is 191.162.0.1 then change only the last digit to say 100 thru 200

6. ervtwl

Yes, my printers address first three numbers are identical to that of my router.

7. jobeard

Should be at that address, even when the PC is off; aka other systems can used it if you share it.

8. ervtwl

So I should be good now?

9. jobeard

YES. Power off the printer and delete it from your pc.
    Wait 30sec, then power it on. You should be able to ping the address you reserved for it.

Now go to the PC and add a Network Printer. This will capture the new address so that regardless of which devices come ready first, when they are all on-line, every system on your router will be able to use that printer.

10. ervtwl

Okay I will try this later at the end of the day. Thank you.

11. ervtwl

Would you happen to know why one computer connected in the network is able to print regardless of the IP changes before all of this?

12. jobeard

Hmm; list the system OS version which do that vs the ones that don't pls. (bump: status on the change??)

13. ervtwl

The computer not affected is running Windows 10 while the rest are running Windows 7. I was not able to test it out and will try later today.

14. ervtwl

Followed your instructions and was able to find the printer on network. Thanks for your help!

15. jobeard

I suspect that the Win 10 has new/special service in the mDNSresponder

16. ervtwl

Okay got it. One less computer to worry about. Thank you.