TechSpot

Browser Hijacked

By dazed&confused
Jan 4, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Another fine mess I was called upon to deal with but have had no luck in solving this pesky problem.
    I beleive IE had been hijacked on my neices computer. Here are the symptoms.
    Firt problem was that after going to 3 or 4 web pages she gets a "Page cannot be displayed" error. Even on pages that we know are valid. Next problem that occured was that the browser suddenly showed this line in the address bar,
    "k-the-fbi-got-my-info"" then a bunch of other gibberish as well (sorry I can't remember exactly what it all was but it pointed the browser to an apparently empty web page.)
    I searched in google for anything relating to the following search criteria (k-the-fbi-got-my-info). All I got were three pages (all in german) and upon more recent searches I got one german page and two Italian pages, all linked to use groups relating to spyware and trojan horses.
    Has anyone else seen this problem? If not I feel that in the near future we will be made more painfully aware of this nasty hijack.

I ran spybot search and destroy, adaware, updated virus scan (AVG as well as Avast). The one thing I did do that lessened the pest was to remove XP service Pack 2. The computer ran alot faster and although the page does come up, it lasts for a split second and then returnes to the requested URL. This leads me to believe that the hijack is taking advantage of a security hole in SP2. God I wish she'd let me load Mozilla Firfox on her machine!

2. E_Saint

E_Saint TS Rookie

use ad-aware but first ...do tis before installing ... go to Start > Run > type "msconfig" > go Startup > untick all of them ... then install > run the program > quarantine the hijacker then go back to msconfig and tick all ur startup options again or simply click normal startup :)

Opps forgot to mention uncheck the the "search negligble risk entries" when scaning cos lotsa progam pop up askin u to del them :)

3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.