BSOD after upgrading q6600 to a qx9650

Hi,
i just upgraded my cpu from an intel q6600 to a qx9650.
now when i try & boot into windows 7 i get a bsod & the comp restarts so quickly i cant even get the error codes.
i have made sure the motherboard can use the new cpu & updated it before installing the new chip. the bios also picks the cpu up with no problems.
I tried the windows recovery but that bsods too.
Also tried installing win7 on a formatted hard drive but this also bsods!
The most confusing thing is that it works fine with an xp install so i'm not sure i can say the cpu is at fault & send it back for a refund.

Any idea's anyone?

the motherboard is most-likely using the same settings it was when the Q6600 was installed. so, you'll either need to edit the settings or clear/reset the CMOS. the FSB speed is probably 1066mhz and you'll need 1333 or 1600. that's my first guess and secondly the voltages will need to be adjusted to compensate for the new processor.

also, what speed is your memory running at?

Just to be clear, you "updated your motherboard"? Do you mean you did a BIOS update? And if so, did you get confirmation, that the BIOS update was successful?

I'm thinking that if you did a BIOS update correctly it probably should have changed the FSB speed when the new CPU was identified. Or, maybe not.

Out of pure idle curiosity, what motherboard do you have?

Hi again, sorry my 1st post was a little short on info.

My motherboard is an abit fatality fp-in9 sli (when i said i'd updated my mobo i meant that i'd done a bios update to 16) which as far as the abit website says is the 1 i need for this chip to work. i did the update via an abit utility that came on a disk with the mobo. That reports that its using the 16 version & that the bios was updated with no problems

I did flash the cmos before installing the new chip but since then i think the mobo battery has died & it refuses to save the settings so im having to shut the computer down into sleep mode to avoid having to change bios settings every time i boot up.

I go into the bios & its all set to auto so i just left it, as it picked the q6600 up & set it all up 1st time, the fsb changes from 1066 (i think) to 1333 in the bios when i put the new cpu in so i presumed it would have auto'd everything again.

if i put the q6600 back in, & apart from the bios warning of a cpu change which i would expect it to do, it boots with no problem.

My very limited knowlage lead me to 2 things it could be. 1 the CPU is faulty which the fact it booted to xp is probably wrong, or its my windows install & after trying a fresh win7 install & getting a bsod dismisses that argument too.
I really thought it would be quite simple to change cpu's as i've done it before & never had problems like this!

if you need any more info let me know as i'd like to get it sorted.

thanks for getting back to me too guys, much appreciated

The Abit IN9 is a 650i chipset. The 650i (and 680i SLI) were effectively locked out of upgrades by Intel changing specification at the last moment on the Q/QX9xxx and E8xxx CPU's.
From memory, there are only a couple of nVidia 6xx SLI boards that support these CPU's (Foxconn's N68S7AA-8EKRS2H and Abit's IN9 32X-MAX Wi-Fi...both 680i SLI, and both these boards have major compatibility problems), I'm assuming that you may have either checked the CPU compatibility with the 32-Max*, or you're running into the compatibilty problems.
The Fatal1ty FP-IN9 CPU compatibility list
Either way I personally would not persevere with that combination. If you want to stay with an nVidia chipset board then you'll need a 750i (the EVGA FTW is head and shoulders above all other 750i and 780i boards), 780i, 790i or 790 Ultra. Conversely a good P45 or X48 Intel chipset will offer you comparable performance and probably a better measure of stability (EVGA FTW excepted)

* Abit bizarrely named the board because of it's supposed ability to use 32Gb RAM (4x8Gb)

I cant post links yet sorry but going on the abit site & clicking cpu support & these options...
CPU platform LGA775
CPU type core 2 extreme
Chipset vendor nforce 6 series
Abit model fp-in9 sli

Which then brings up a screen saying the CPU is supported with 16 BIOS revision & to be honest, i went & bought the chip off that info.
Was that an easy mistake to make or was it something i should have seen? lol
Still confused as to why XP booted with no problems though but i think I'm going to try & send the CPU back & hope they give me a refund & maybe just do a new build with i7

Thanks very much for the reply's again

I see where you got the conflicting information.
Core 2 Extreme is supported -unfortunately the Extreme CPU models supported are X6800 (Core 2 Duo) and QX6700 (Core 2 Quad) -both are 65nm Conroe based CPU's.
The QX9650 is a 45nm Penryn/Yorkfield based CPU and utilises a different VRM (voltage regulation module) specification
This article (amongst others on the web) explains the stance (for all nF4, 5 and 6 series SLI), and this older article at Anandtech lists compatible motherboards at Yorkfields release.

The info on the Abit site could have been more informative. You are not alone in being caught out- message boards and forums at the time (and for some time thereafter) were filled with speculation of whether the chipset would accomodate the new Yorkfield CPU's.

An unsupported CPU can still boot the system- it just won't work fully, and in this case I would guess that the BSOD happens as soon as the CPU goes under any reasonable load.
If you can return the CPU, then I would. A Core i7 build would be a sizeable improvement.

Well, I don't know if more info helps or hurts, since now I can't say, "oh you probably have to update the BIOS".

With that said, you certainly can't make any headway if you have to rest the BIOS every time you start the computer. So, maybe the CMOS battery should be your first priority.

Same problem

Hi I have exactly the same problem with my Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI and qx9650.

So Did you finally manage to make it work??

Back