BSOD Installing Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

tewas

Hi,
I'm having trouble installing Windows XP pro SP2 to Dell laptop. I have Latitude E6500 with Windows Vista Basic pre-installed and i need to install XP instead. I updated BIOS from A10 to A11 and while installing i'm getting BSOD:

STOP: 0x0000007e (0xC0000005, 0xF748E0BF, 0xF78DA208, 0xF78D9F08)

pci.sys - Address F748E0BF base at F7487000, DateStamp 3b7d855c

I looked around and there were few post about this but dating 2-3 years ago. I'm pretty sure things are changed since then. Another thing that i found out is that 0x0000007e error might mean that BIOS is not compatible with XP (taken from Microsoft site). The recommended solution is to get latest BIOS version (which i already have). Does anyone have similar problems or the only solution is to find Dell bios that is compatible with XP which probably means i need to downgrade mine.

Thank you for answers.

Have you deleted ALL partions? DELL always has 2 and in the bios DRIVE configuration set to SATA mode not the default mode

I had a similar problem with my Dell (desktop). Whenever I ran the windows installation I accepted the t+c's and then bsod. The thing that worked for me was to go into the bios and then go to drives. Go to the main one (Sata or something) and there should be 4 options I think. I'm no expert and just doing this from memory but they should Rage / ATHC, Rage / something else), and Combination. Again these are rough as I can't remember. Anyway, if you change it to "Combination" then exit and save and try installing it again. After I did that I didn't get a BSOD when re-installing. It's a common problem with Dell's apparently.

Good luck.

Granpa is right check the BIOS for mmmmm Maybe it is AICH can't remember but i now that this switch for SATA OPERATION needs to be set

I've just checked.

Go to your BIOS (F2 at start up) then select Drives. Go to SATA operation. It's probably set to "RAID Autodetect / AHCI". Change the SATA operation setting to "Combination". Save the changes and reboot. You should be good to go mate.

Hi,
In BIOS sata section i have only these selections:
Disabled, ATA, AHCI, IRRT (default)

I tried to set everyone of them and still get BSOD. I have A11 as my bios version (which is latest from DELL)

there is some peice of hardware in that machine that doesnt have the drivers on that install disk or it is mis-detecting some peice of hardware. the fact the file referenced is "pci.sys" I doubt its the hard drive setting that is the problem it is a driver though. the machine was designed for Vista so an XP driver for it more than likely doesn't exist.

Wolf, you are right about not using restore CD. It came with Vista Home Basic and i need XP installed on it. Dell DO have same laptop coming with XP installed (for extra $99). The hardware itself is compatible with XP, but most likely, as Bruce said, Dell conveniently "forgot" to add xp drivers of hardware to BIOS version.
We contacted Dell about this issue, and now waiting for answer. I will post more once Dell let us know what to do.

Thanks for you help guys.

You should check to see if there is xp drivers for this system. My university uses XP and we cannot order some of the new systems because it won't accept XP drivers.

SATA operation. It's probably set to "RAID Autodetect / AHCI". Change the SATA operation setting to ATA
from dell download not from the service tag but the model and Choose Win XP OS
extract the drivers to a folder and copy them to a CD

twas, I am currently working on the same thing. Not only do you have to go into Set up and change the Hard Drive Controller to ATA (Press F2 during boot, Controller will be under CMOS settings), but you also have to have at least a bootable XP SP2 CD. You can create your own, just google Slipstream XP and SP2. I still have one more driver to locate. I have a OTHER DEVICES then USB Device still with a yellow question mark I am trying to resolve. Anyone have any ideas?

I found now that dell put their XP drivers on the web, so i just made bootable SP3 cd with drivers and BSOD disappeared. As for drivers did you installed dell security suite or something similar? I think that was responsible for other devices. Or you can go thru all dell drivers (i downloaded all drivers and just installed everything so don't really know exact name)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back