TechSpot

BSOD memory management

By steven phu
Aug 16, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. hi there
    I've been getting BSOD the past few days. I did the memtest and everything went fine.
    so I used whocrashed program and it gave me this

On Thu 8/16/2012 7:56:18 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
    Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x31, 0xFFFFFA8007EDDBD0, 0xFFFFF88009BE8000, 0xFFFFF8A0111B7E0A)
    Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
    Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
    This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

can anyone elaborate what it means?

my specs:
    intel corei5 2500k
    xfx 5850 crossfired
    asrock z68 extreme 3
    corsair vengeance 1600

I've attached my minidump as well.
    thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,985   +168

Did you run check disk on the hard drive?

3. steven phu

steven phu TS Rookie Topic Starter

That's where you type "chkdsk /f" or something like that in run? If so I did. Windows dos came up for half a sec then disappeared. That's all it did. wasn't 100% sure if I did it correctly

4. steven phu

I took my second video card out suspecting it might be a driver of that and left my computer on while I was at work. it BSOD again. I got these two messages on whocrashed program
    On Thu 8/16/2012 9:25:20 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\081612-35365-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0x5A88)
    Bugcheck code: 0x24 (0x1904FB, 0xFFFFF8800AD30148, 0xFFFFF8800AD2F9A0, 0xFFFFF88001301527)
    Error: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: NT File System Driver
    Bug check description: This indicates a problem occurred in the NTFS file system.
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 8/16/2012 9:25:20 PM GMT your computer crashed
    This was probably caused by the following module: avgmfx64.sys (avgmfx64+0x1554)
    Bugcheck code: 0x24 (0x1904FB, 0xFFFFF8800AD30148, 0xFFFFF8800AD2F9A0, 0xFFFFF88001301527)
    Error: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\avgmfx64.sys
    product: AVG Internet Security
    company: AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.
    description: AVG Resident Shield Minifilter Driver
    Bug check description: This indicates a problem occurred in the NTFS file system.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: avgmfx64.sys (AVG Resident Shield Minifilter Driver, AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.).
    Google query: avgmfx64.sys AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
    the second one is obvious my avg antivirus, which I uninstalled. the first one im not too sure what that means.

5. Tmagic650

Download and install Microsoft Security Essentials:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

after you uninstall any other antivirus programs. NTFS File System refers to your hard drive files. To run CHKDSK properly go to Computer, and right-click on the C drive. Select Properties, Tools, Check Now. Select both check boxes to set a disk check on the next start up. If any errors are noted, the hard drive may be going bad. This may be a good time to back up any files you can't afford to loose

6. steven phu

ok ty
    ill do this right now

7. steven phu

I did the chkdsk and it seem fine. I got another bsod

On Sat 8/18/2012 2:47:47 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\081812-29062-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x842C4)
    Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF800034E82C4, 0xFFFFF880031936F8, 0xFFFFF88003192F50)
    Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    description: NT Kernel & System
    Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 8/18/2012 2:47:47 PM GMT your computer crashed
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0x2C362)
    Bugcheck code: 0x7E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF800034E82C4, 0xFFFFF880031936F8, 0xFFFFF88003192F50)
    Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
    description: NT File System Driver
    Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

im assuming my hard drive is fine now?

8. Tmagic650

Are you over-clocking the CPU or memory?

9. steven phu

Just the cpu

10. Tmagic650

Back it down and see if the BSOD's stop

11. steven phu

Ok ill do that once I get off work tonight. Thanks!

12. steven phu

I pushed the cmos button on my motherboard, so everything should be set to default. I still got a BSOD
    On Sun 8/19/2012 7:26:03 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\081912-30217-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7F1C0)
    Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41790, 0xFFFFFA8000BE7010, 0xFFFF, 0x0)
    Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    description: NT Kernel & System
    Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
    This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.

I noticed that my computer runs really slow right before I get a BSOD. not sure if that would help

13. Tmagic650

"I noticed that my computer runs really slow right before I get a BSOD. Not sure if that would help"... Try running Memtest86. Download the pre-compiled 4.20 iso file and burn it to a CD or DVD. Boot the computer with this disk and let Memtest86 run for at least 7 passes. Any errors mean trouble: http://www.memtest.org/

14. steven phu

Ok ill do it tom. What kind of trouble? Hard drive dying?
    I was on safe mode yesterdat for awhile with no issues which makes me think its got to be a driver issue
    thanks again for your input

15. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,482   +233

Since running memtest will be testing the RAM (memory), any errors will mean trouble with the RAM. Replacement of the defective module(s) would be the solution.

16. steven phu

I did run a memtest couple days ago and my ram seems fine. Ill try using a differ ram tom and see if that fixes it

17. steven phu

ok so I did a reformat on my harddrive. I get it still. Took one stick out. still got BSOD. switched to the other ram. still got it.
    so im guessing its either hard drive, both ram, or maybe motherboard?

also I notice everytime I get a BSOD. it wipes out my temp folder.
    everytime I log into steam. it thinks im logging in from another computer

18. Tmagic650

"also I notice every time I get a BSOD. it wipes out my temp folder.
    every time I log into steam. it thinks im logging in from another computer" You may have a virus or other type of malware infection

19. steven phu

I ended up reformatting and I still get bsod. It still wipes out my temp folder.
    I found out it was my ram that was causing it. I switched rams with my cousins computer. No bsod, but his computer started acting up. Crashing games and other things wouldn't load correctly.

I appreciate all your help and advice

20. Tmagic650

Okay, I wonder why Memtest86 didn't detect problems. Was this memory the original that came with the computer?

21. steven phu

Im not sure why it didn't detect it. I remember it saying 100% pass when I ran it. This was a custom build computer that I build.
    I was using corsair vengence 8gb 1600mhz

22. Tmagic650

Thanks, and good luck:)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.