BSOD memory management

steven phu

Hi there
I've been getting BSOD the past few days. I did the memtest and everything went fine.
so I used whocrashed program and it gave me this

[FONT=Segoe UI]On Thu 8/16/2012 7:56:18 PM GMT your computer crashed[/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI]crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp[/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI]This was probably caused by the following module: [FONT=Segoe UI]ntkrnlmp.exe[/FONT] (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0) [/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI]Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x31, 0xFFFFFA8007EDDBD0, 0xFFFFF88009BE8000, 0xFFFFF8A0111B7E0A)[/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI]Error: [FONT=Segoe UI]MEMORY_MANAGEMENT[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI]Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.[/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI]This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules. [/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI]The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time. [/FONT]

can anyone elaborate what it means?

my specs:
intel corei5 2500k
xfx 5850 crossfired
asrock z68 extreme 3
corsair vengeance 1600

I've attached my minidump as well.
thanks!

Attachments

• 081612-38859-01.zip
    22.6 KB · Views: 1
That's where you type "chkdsk /f" or something like that in run? If so I did. Windows dos came up for half a sec then disappeared. That's all it did. wasn't 100% sure if I did it correctly

I took my second video card out suspecting it might be a driver of that and left my computer on while I was at work. it BSOD again. I got these two messages on whocrashed program
[FONT=Segoe UI]On Thu 8/16/2012 9:25:20 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\081612-35365-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: [FONT=Segoe UI]ntfs.sys[/FONT] (Ntfs+0x5A88)
Bugcheck code: 0x24 (0x1904FB, 0xFFFFF8800AD30148, 0xFFFFF8800AD2F9A0, 0xFFFFF88001301527)
Error: [FONT=Segoe UI]NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM[/FONT]
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
product: [FONT=Segoe UI]Microsoft® Windows® Operating System[/FONT]
company: [FONT=Segoe UI]Microsoft Corporation[/FONT]
description: NT File System Driver
Bug check description: This indicates a problem occurred in the NTFS file system.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI]On Thu 8/16/2012 9:25:20 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: [FONT=Segoe UI]avgmfx64.sys[/FONT] (avgmfx64+0x1554)
Bugcheck code: 0x24 (0x1904FB, 0xFFFFF8800AD30148, 0xFFFFF8800AD2F9A0, 0xFFFFF88001301527)
Error: [FONT=Segoe UI]NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM[/FONT]
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\avgmfx64.sys
product: [FONT=Segoe UI]AVG Internet Security[/FONT]
company: [FONT=Segoe UI]AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.[/FONT]
description: AVG Resident Shield Minifilter Driver
Bug check description: This indicates a problem occurred in the NTFS file system.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: avgmfx64.sys (AVG Resident Shield Minifilter Driver, AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.).
Google query: [FONT=Segoe UI]avgmfx64.sys AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM[/FONT]
[/FONT]the second one is obvious my avg antivirus, which I uninstalled. the first one im not too sure what that means.

Download and install Microsoft Security Essentials:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

after you uninstall any other antivirus programs. NTFS File System refers to your hard drive files. To run CHKDSK properly go to Computer, and right-click on the C drive. Select Properties, Tools, Check Now. Select both check boxes to set a disk check on the next start up. If any errors are noted, the hard drive may be going bad. This may be a good time to back up any files you can't afford to loose

I did the chkdsk and it seem fine. I got another bsod

[FONT=Segoe UI]On Sat 8/18/2012 2:47:47 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\081812-29062-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: [FONT=Segoe UI]ntoskrnl.exe[/FONT] (nt+0x842C4)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF800034E82C4, 0xFFFFF880031936F8, 0xFFFFF88003192F50)
Error: [FONT=Segoe UI]SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M[/FONT]
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI]On Sat 8/18/2012 2:47:47 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: [FONT=Segoe UI]ntfs.sys[/FONT] (Ntfs+0x2C362)
Bugcheck code: 0x7E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF800034E82C4, 0xFFFFF880031936F8, 0xFFFFF88003192F50)
Error: [FONT=Segoe UI]SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED[/FONT]
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
description: NT File System Driver
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.
[/FONT]
im assuming my hard drive is fine now?

I pushed the cmos button on my motherboard, so everything should be set to default. I still got a BSOD
[FONT=Segoe UI]On Sun 8/19/2012 7:26:03 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\081912-30217-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: [FONT=Segoe UI]ntoskrnl.exe[/FONT] (nt+0x7F1C0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41790, 0xFFFFFA8000BE7010, 0xFFFF, 0x0)
Error: [FONT=Segoe UI]MEMORY_MANAGEMENT[/FONT]
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.
[/FONT]

I noticed that my computer runs really slow right before I get a BSOD. not sure if that would help

"I noticed that my computer runs really slow right before I get a BSOD. Not sure if that would help"... Try running Memtest86. Download the pre-compiled 4.20 iso file and burn it to a CD or DVD. Boot the computer with this disk and let Memtest86 run for at least 7 passes. Any errors mean trouble: http://www.memtest.org/

Ok ill do it tom. What kind of trouble? Hard drive dying?
I was on safe mode yesterdat for awhile with no issues which makes me think its got to be a driver issue
thanks again for your input

Since running memtest will be testing the RAM (memory), any errors will mean trouble with the RAM. Replacement of the defective module(s) would be the solution.

I did run a memtest couple days ago and my ram seems fine. Ill try using a differ ram tom and see if that fixes it

ok so I did a reformat on my harddrive. I get it still. Took one stick out. still got BSOD. switched to the other ram. still got it.
so im guessing its either hard drive, both ram, or maybe motherboard?

also I notice everytime I get a BSOD. it wipes out my temp folder.
everytime I log into steam. it thinks im logging in from another computer

"also I notice every time I get a BSOD. it wipes out my temp folder.
every time I log into steam. it thinks im logging in from another computer" You may have a virus or other type of malware infection

I ended up reformatting and I still get bsod. It still wipes out my temp folder.
I found out it was my ram that was causing it. I switched rams with my cousins computer. No bsod, but his computer started acting up. Crashing games and other things wouldn't load correctly.

I appreciate all your help and advice

Okay, I wonder why Memtest86 didn't detect problems. Was this memory the original that came with the computer?

Im not sure why it didn't detect it. I remember it saying 100% pass when I ran it. This was a custom build computer that I build.
I was using corsair vengence 8gb 1600mhz

Back