BSOD ntoskrnl.exe Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

ropiav

Hi everybody,

I've just installed an upgraded version of windows 7 ultimate edition over my Windows XP 32bits. Since, I get daily BSOD.
Every time, I wasn't using my computer.
I didn't have this problem with XP.
Here is the last problem signature (in french) :

Code:
Signature du problème
Nom d’événement du problème*:	BlueScreen
Version du système:	6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Identificateur de paramètres régionaux:	1036

Informations complémentaires sur le problème
BCCode:	d1
BCP1:	00000000
BCP2:	000000FF
BCP3:	00000001
BCP4:	80E01801
OS Version:	6_1_7600
Service Pack:	0_0
Product:	256_1
ID du récipient*:	0xD1_nt!KiIdleLoop+d
Informations du serveur*:	21da604c-eb57-4a1c-8ea5-670d9d390332

CPU : Q9650 @ 3.00 GHz (O/C @ 3,87)
Memory : DDR2 4 GB
Mainboard : Asus P5Q PRO
VGA : Ati HD4890
HDD : 2*Seagate 500 Gb SATA

I also attached the dump.
I tried to analyse them with WinDbg but I don't understand.
If someone can analyse them and tell me the cause of this BSOD it will be very helpful.

Thank you

Ropiav

Attachments

• Dump.zip
    68.7 KB · Views: 1
Two errors are 0xD1 and these can be caused by faulty drivers or faulty or mismatched memory. Both simply cited a Windows OS driver as the cause and OS drivers are usually too general to be of much diagnostic help.

Your third error is 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and is described as "A fatal hardware error has occurred."

This error code and definition has replaced the older XP code 0x9C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION and though it is older the definition still is applicable: This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Honestly, this is a very difficult error to work with because as it says a clear diagnosis rarely comes forth and I have never seen a minidump with either error codes give a definitive answer. I know IT techs that don't like working with it. What makes it so difficult is that it can be any hardware in your system -- and I mean any. Your dump simply cited hardware as the issue and nothing more definitive.

Here are some of the causes that were determined to be the source o 0x124/0x9C errors from posters here and abroad: NIC, DVD/CD drives, dust build up around the CPU that caused overheating of said CPU, bulging capacitors hidden by heatsink, video card, harddrive, psu, motherboard, and external harddrive connected by USB.

* Do this: Go into your BIOS and check the voltage settings for your RAM. Does it match the manufacture's voltage specs?

Thank you so much Route44 for helping me.

When I read your analysis I'm very scared, because it's seems the causes of the issues are too general too deal with.

I checked the voltage settings for my RAM, it's set to 1,80V with a frequency of 430 Mhz.
This is what CPU-Z report too @400Mhz.

I also notice that my CPU voltage is set to 1,30625V in my BIOS but CPU-Z and the hardware monitor in BIOS report 1,288V.

GPU and CPU Temp seems normal.

Also, I found my memory usage is very high in the task manager.

The thing is that it never happen (so far) when using my computer for gaming, web surfing, or anything else.
Before the two 0xD1 errors happened I left my computer the first time doing a scan with ad-aware, a2free and spybot, and the second time with azureus downloading a file.
Strange!

Attachments

• CPUZ.jpg
    CPUZ.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 3
  • task manager.jpg
    task manager.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 4
  • CPU.jpg
    CPU.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1
  • GPU.jpg
    GPU.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 1
You have an Asus board and Asus makes some very good models but they are also quite well known to be picky about RAM.

In your BIOS set your RAM to the designed specs of 1.8v and when you exit you want to Save this new setting.

Thank you for your answer Route44.

In my BIOS my RAM voltage is already at 1,8v. It's the minimum.

Attachments

• Voltage.jpg
    Voltage.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 3
  • Voltage2.jpg
    Voltage2.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 0
Thank you for your answer Route44.

In my BIOS my RAM voltage is already at 1,8v. It's the minimum.

Sorry. I misread your previous information.

I note your cpu is overclocked. For diagnostic reasons, set your CPU to 3.0. What are the results?

I had my first BSOD while doing something on my computer.
This morning just after wake up, I thought my computer was crashed but it wasn't.
So I wanted to check the task manager. I hit Ctrl+Alt+Suppr, the screen for choosing an option appeared and then BSOD!

Here is the dump file. But I think it's the same problem.

I put all my BIOS in auto. Let see if it change something.

One question : Does formating all can resolve the problem?

Attachments

• 060810-22495-01.zip
    23.4 KB · Views: 2
In addition to Route's valuable advice, I would suggest you to check Asus's QVL for this motherboard. Secondly, ensure that your RAM settings/timings etc. are set correctly as per its designed specs, along with the voltage etc. I've seen many cases here when Asus's boards would set different settings/voltage by default, which would result in system instability, and in several of these instances even memtest won't catch any errors because 'the RAM actually is Good'.

Thanks to help me. I very appreciate.

Ok I checked my DRAM.
It's a 2*2Gb Patriot Kit. Here are the spec :
PVS24G8500ELKR2 DDR2 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15@2.1V
So I put the voltage in my bios to 2.1V.
I also noticed that this kit was not mentioned in the QVL of my motherboard.
Maybe it's the problem, but I didn't had a problem in past six month I had this Motherboard and DRAM combined with XP.
Tonight I'm going to do a Memtest and then and OCCT test.

If no problem with these tests and if BSOD still happen, maybe a new install of Seven may resolve this issue?

Hi everyone,

So, the 1 hour OCCT test was succefully. No problem from the CPU.
I also made a 14 pass Memtest86+ => No error from the DRAM.

Let see if the change we made in the BIOS make a difference.
I let you know.

In the BIOS I just put this settings manualy :
- CPU Bus Speed : 333
- CPU Multiplier : 9
- DRAM Freq : 1066
- DRAM Timing : 5-5-5-15
- DRAM Voltag : 2.1V

All other settings to Auto.
No BSOD so far. Let's cross the fingers...

AWSOME!!!
Still no BSOD!
Maybe my O/C CPU or my DRAM with bad voltage value.
Thank you so much Route44 and Archean you saved my WE.

Excellent! :grinthumb Thanks for getting back to us and what makes me really glad is that someone with the dreaded 0x124 error got it resolved as well as the absolute importance of correct memory voltage.

Nice work on your part as well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back