BSOD on 4 month system

Had this new system for about 4 months and I've been getting the BSOD daily. I tried to figure out the problem myself but had no luck.
Here's the latest 5 minidumps

Attachments

• Minidump 1.zip
    162.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Minidump 2.zip
    143 KB · Views: 2
Three dumps cite the error 0x0000009F: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
A driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state. Typically occurs during events that involve power state transitions, such as shutting down, or moving into or out of standby or hibernate mode.

The driver cited is the Widows OS driver disk.sys which is a Disk Driver. The thing about OS drivers that usually they are too general to be of much diagnostic help. They more so point out that there is a problem than state what the cause of the problem is. However, see below.

The two remaining error codes are the same and are more significant: 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and is described as "A fatal hardware error has occurred."

This error code and definition has replaced the older XP code 0x9C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION and though it is older the definition still is applicable: This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Honestly, this is a very difficult error to work with because as it says a clear diagnosis rarely comes forth and I have never seen a minidump with either error codes give a definitive answer. I know IT techs that don't like working with it. What makes it so difficult is that it can be any hardware in your system -- and I mean any. Your dumps simply cited hardware as the issue and nothing more definitive.

Here are some of the causes that were determined to be the source of 0x124/0x9C errors from posters here and abroad: NIC, DVD/CD drives, dust build up around the CPU that caused overheating of said CPU, bulging capacitors hidden by heatsink, video card, psu, motherboard, and external harddrive connected by USB.

* In light of the above information I suggest the following:

1. If any hardware is overclocked then set it at default settings as per the manufacture's original specs.

2. Run a full virus/malware scan. Yes, it says hardware but research has shown that disk.sys can be infected.

3. Run harddrive diagnostics. What make is your harddrive?

4. Run memtest on your memory. If you never have done this before let us know. But first do #'s 1 through 3.

In addition: http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-lockup-debug-how/35349-stop-0x124-what-means-what-try.html

Back