TechSpot

BSOD when trying to install Windows XP for dual boot with Windows 7

By francis793
Jul 12, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a new laptop (Compaq Pressario CQ61) that has Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) installed. This computer has an AMD processor. I am trying to set it up to dual boot Windows XP Home Edition.

I didn't have any issues partitioning the hard drive. I used nLite to slipstream my Windows XP installation disk. I added SP2 and the SATA drivers. I then burned this onto a DVD disk. Next I booted from CD using the disk I created. The installation runs through loading the files, but when it gets to "Setup is starting windows" I get the blue screen of death. The stop code is 0x00000007B.

I used the guide at the following address to download the SATA driver and complete the slipstreaming process.
    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Operat...for-XP-solution-on-0x0000007B-BSOD/m-p/114120

Any guidance you can provide on how to resolve this issue is greatly appreciated.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.