Onboard Audio

Drivers - All original updated from intel.com
No Overclocking, stock BIOS
USB pendrive drivers
USB 2.5" WD Passport for backup

WinXP Pro SP3

New installation from on PC after full format, no imaging

Problem
PC isgiving me intermittent BSOD's with two reasons. I cannot reproduce or anticipate the BSOD, they might occur after 1hr or after 3hrs ??

PAGE_FAULT_IN_A_NON_PAGED_AREA fastfat.sys
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I am at my wits end trying to understand the reason behind this. I have installed no new software, no device drivers. All external peripherals are old and well tested. I did have a hairy time moving WinXP to AHCI after installation, but it was working fine after that.

I have included dump files from several events to help understand the problem. I am currently not in front of this PC, so please bear me out.

What causes these BSOD's and how to remove them ??

Attachments

• BSOD 24-01-12.zip
    54.9 KB · Views: 2
  • BSOD 25-01-12_2.zip
    25.9 KB · Views: 3
Check you RAM voltage in the BIOS. Is it set at 1.5v as per the manufacture's specs? If not set it manually.

Route44:

The RAM voltage is set at 1.5v, I checked.

Tmagic650:

I have not tried memtest86+, but Windows Memory Diag passed the memory. I will test the memory with memtest over the weekend.

Any other suggestions ??

Memtest is much more extensive thus T's suggestion. Usually when we see random BSODs with various error codes this is a strong indicator of memory issues.

For diagnostic purposes run Seagate's SeaTool hard drive diagnostics especially the long test but after you run memtest. Make sure that you allow it to run for a minimum of 7 Passes.

Route44:

memtest passed the RAM, I have included a pic of the final status.

I have not been able to surface scan the drive as yet, I hope to do it today. In the meantime I am trying to reinstall the whole OS and drivers etc.

I will report again in a few hours.

Attachments

• MemTest86 Report 29th Jan 2012.jpg
    MemTest86 Report 29th Jan 2012.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 2
The HDD Surface scan was fine.

I have now reinstalled the whole OS, drivers, software etc.

BSOD's came again today.

They might be caused with True Crypt, I am looking into this

I believe I have found out the problem. I use True Crypt 4.3a extensively for my office documents. I believe that FAT32 volumes of true crypt are causing all these errors in a multi-processor setting.

These two URL's also corroborate the issue faced by me.

Sorry cannot post

I have moved my documents into a new NTFS volume and am keeping my fingers crossed :)

Well, I am happy to report that the problem has been resolved completely.

It seems that the FAT32 volumes created under True Crypt have a tendency to cause Fastfat.sys related BSOD's under a multi-processor system. The problem persists in True Crypt v7 as well. The only work around is to re-format truecrypt volumes under NTFS or create new NTFS volumes.

Back