Building a new computer... but it needs power

DjKraid

Hi!

So I'm building a new computer and I was wondering if a 850W power supply is enough for it?

GeForce GTX 465
Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition
Asus M4N75TD
Corsair 2x2GB, DDR3 1333MHz (x2, so a total of 8Gb)

thx in advance!

r u sure? -My old gts250 had a minimum of 500w and overall that system was much weaker...
and them some time in the future I', going to on gtx465 more and I wouldn't want to get a new power supply just 4 that...

Just to back up JMMD, 850 is more than enough. Look at my specs, I'm running two GTX 460's and I've got a Corsair 750 watt power supply. The GTX 465 uses a bit more power, I think, but you'll still be okay.

and them some time in the future I', going to on gtx465 more and I wouldn't want to get a new power supply just 4 that...
No...GTX460 is a FAR better choice.

Corsair 2x2GB, DDR3 1333MHz (x2, so a total of 8Gb)
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM

Single 4GB kit is better too.

CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply is great.
Yes i'm sure.

Yes i'm absolutely sure, if you were wondering.

It would depend on the brand of the PSU; there are good and bad brands out there, and choosing a good one is critical.

What PSU are you considering?

And I agree with hk, the GTX 460 is a better buy. What resolution will you be gaming at?

ADD +1 to kitty and rage's post. As long as its any psu brand of note you should be fine. I can run my gtx 295 and my i7 on a 850 watt psu of good quality.

Nice!

Some of you said that 850W is more than enough...so what would be enough? -700w maybe?
Cougar Power 700 is one other power supply that I have been looking at but is it any good?

The Cougar Power is a rubbish supply; don't buy it. Any Antec NEO\TruePower, Corsair TX\HX, Seasonic S12\M12, Thermaltake ToughPower PSU with an output of 550W or more would be sufficient.

:D I have never heard about the manufacturer so I had to ask :D

What do you think is good / "rubbish"? :D

It's not the brand (Corsair, Antec etc.) that matters, but the actual manufacturer of the PSU (Seasonic, CWT, Fortron etc.). Look here for a comprehensive, updated list of PSUs and their real manufacturers. As for good manufacturers, this is a fantastic guide that, while a bit outdated, still applies pretty well.

If you need info on a specific model, feel free to ask around the forums or PM any one of us.

Back