Building a new gaming rig for $1,000 to $1,500

Hey Guys,
I am a game developer and in the unfortunate position of having my computer break down on me. So rather than sulk, I figure I'll just build a new one. My Budget is 1,000-1,500. I will use it primarily for gaming. I'll be ordering online from amazon/newegg. I'm not reusing any of my previous system other than Monitors, keyboard, and maybe speakers (though they are an 9year old 7.1 system). Oh, and I should be able to find a Windows 7 cd.

I would love feedback on this site's gaming build (https://www.techspot.com/guides/229-desktop-buying-guide/page3.html). Namely, it is one of the best pc crafting articles, though feels pretty out of date:
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6
Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K
Memory: 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHz
Graphics: GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Sound: Asus Xonar DSX 7.1
Storage: OCZ Vector 128GB + Western Digital Black 1TB
Optical: Lite-On iHAS124-04 + LG WH14NS40
Power: Corsair Enthusiast Series 650TX
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper

Thanks a ton

Just recieved this feedback. How is it?

[FONT=Lucida Grande]Processor Intel Core i5-3450 $200 - no, get an i7 ivy bridge.[/FONT]
[FONT=Lucida Grande]Memory 2x2GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz $22 - no, get at least 8Gb, but considering the price scale you may as well get 16. Get Corsair or Kingston.[/FONT]
[FONT=Lucida Grande]Graphics Radeon HD 7770 $125 - very old model at this point you probably want newer go to radeon's site and look around[/FONT]
[FONT=Lucida Grande]Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB $65 - don't get blue get black also if you missed my other post I can get you a 2Tb black for ~$80[/FONT]
[FONT=Lucida Grande]Optical Lite-On iHAS124-04 $17 - who the **** is Lite-On? Doesn't matter get Asus[/FONT]
[FONT=Lucida Grande]Power Antec Neo Eco 520C $55 - 520W is a bit on the low end for a gaming machine. Get at least 600W.[/FONT]

The one that's posted first is a lot better than whatever is posted beneath it.
Just recieved this feedback. How is it?

[FONT=Lucida Grande]Processor Intel Core i5-3450 $200 - no, get an i7 ivy bridge.[/FONT]
[FONT=Lucida Grande]Memory 2x2GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz $22 - no, get at least 8Gb, but considering the price scale you may as well get 16. Get Corsair or Kingston.[/FONT]
[FONT=Lucida Grande]Graphics Radeon HD 7770 $125 - very old model at this point you probably want newer go to radeon's site and look around[/FONT]
[FONT=Lucida Grande]Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB $65 - don't get blue get black also if you missed my other post I can get you a 2Tb black for ~$80[/FONT]
[FONT=Lucida Grande]Optical Lite-On iHAS124-04 $17 - who the **** is Lite-On? Doesn't matter get Asus[/FONT]
[FONT=Lucida Grande]Power Antec Neo Eco 520C $55 - 520W is a bit on the low end for a gaming machine. Get at least 600W.[/FONT]
If that is someone else giving you advice you shouldn't ask them for advice again.

Yeah that's some seriously dud feedback lol.

Build looks good to me after all it's Techspot's build. :)

Please also be aware that the PC Buying guide is updated quite regularly by the fine staff here ;)

You've posted 2 completely different builds, the first one is TS's "Enthusiast's PC" which will be an excellent gaming PC whereas the one you have received feedback on is the much cheaper "Entry Level Rig" at a much lower price point.

Assuming your budget of 1,000-1,500 is in USD then the Enthusiast's PC will be a great choice. If you're overclocking you might want to get an aftermarket cooler and I'd probably get the Crucial m4 over the OCZ SSD.

The one that's posted first is a lot better than whatever is posted beneath it.

If that is someone else giving you advice you shouldn't ask them for advice again.

Fair, I don't actually know enough to tell if it is good or bad feedback. Though can you fill me in for why it is worse?

Like, why is the i7 worse than the i5 processor, why would 2x8 be worse than the 2x2, and why not get more power for my machine? I can only assume that the first article had high spec older models.

Also, how do I edit old posts (I linked the wrong build in my topic)?

Simply because the parts are better?
A 3570k is definitely the way to go.
2x4GB is fine IMO. 1600mhz is pretty standard.

Aside from that the person obviously doesn't really know what they're talking about.

If you're gaming primarily, the 3570K has become the gaming CPU really :)
I've just put an 8GB kit in my machine and it's more than enough for gaming/normal use. 1600Mhz is fine as HK said.

Just a comment on the advice haha, Lite-On has been around since 1975 making computer storage devices, hence poor advice ;)

You can edit posts down the bottom of your post (edit button)

Cheers

If you're gaming primarily, the 3570K has become the gaming CPU really :)
I've just put an 8GB kit in my machine and it's more than enough for gaming/normal use. 1600Mhz is fine as HK said.

Just a comment on the advice haha, Lite-On has been around since 1975 making computer storage devices, hence poor advice ;)

You can edit posts down the bottom of your post (edit button)

Cheers

Thanks hellokitty and Norbur, you are both a great help!

Final questions, though I'm good to go if you don't have the time.
Thanks again guys, this has made it ridiculously easier to build a computer than my past experiences.

Not a problem mate, always happy to help.

Some responses to your questions:

- The base build parts wise is a great build. Personally, the only thing I would change is maybe the case. (You might like another brand for example) I prefer Corsair cases myself but choose one you like around the same price point.

- Apart from the system, I personally use a Razer DeathAdder mouse, a Leopold Mechanical keyboard (very nice to game/type on), and a nice pair of headphones for music (Using some Shure 840's at the moment.)

- I usually don't bother with a sound card in my rigs, but the ASUS one is quite competitive for its price. If you're just gaming/music, you might not bother. But if you want to have a nice 7.1 speaker setup, it could be definitely worthwhile!

- The i7 series is a great CPU, always has been :) However for gaming and just general use I don't think you will get your extar $110 worth. Hyperthreading is nice, but games don't really benefit that much from it. Put it this way, I put a 3470 in my wife's PC, and she has no worries playing any of today's games. Also, you can overclock your 3570K quite nicely with an aftermarket cooler should you so desire.

Don't ever hesitate to ask, we are here to help :)

IMO an SSD is a must and personally, I would opt for a 27" 2560x1440 korean IPS.
As for input peripherals that's entirely a preference.
Built in sound card is generally enough for the vast majority of people, and clearly you're not one of those audiophiles.
With the i7 you're basically paying for hyperthreading which isn't really useful in this case.

A few changes I would make:
The RAM is pretty generic and I would look out on amazon/possibly other sites for better deals, or look at newegg's coupon codes for good deals.
For me, a CD drive is not necessary, same with the sound card and 1TB hdd.
The vector is fast but depending on the prices, you may want to opt for an equally fast Samsung 840 pro for a lower price.
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
and
SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Sometimes the rosewill modular capstone 550/650 are on sale for very good prices.
Also I'd opt for a 7950.

All these changes are pretty minor and are mostly my preferences.

Like HK I would go with the samsung 840 ssd over the ocz ones and also I would drop the sound card and put that money towards maybe an AMD 7970 that can be found for good prices right now. that case is good but the HAF X is far superior and only cost slightly more. I personally do not see the need for a blu Ray drive on a PC unless you already own software that can take advantage of it with the savings you have from losing the blu ray and sound card I say grab that 7970 and 16gb of ram and you will be far happier.
also you can grab Rosewill CAPSTONE Series CAPSTONE-650 650W Continuous @ 50°C, 80 PLUS GOLD Certified for $85 great PSU for the money.

I've seen the rosewill capstone 550/650 modular for some really nice prices like ~$60+ so IMO $85 is overpaying :)
It'd still be a pretty decent buy at $85 though.

I've seen the rosewill capstone 550/650 modular for some really nice prices like ~$60+ so IMO $85 is overpaying :)
It'd still be a pretty decent buy at $85 though.
I picked up a 450 watt rosewill capstone modular for $56 for a customers build $85 for a gold rated modular PSU imo is freaking great.

I've heard of a good number of power supplies from Rosewill catching fire. I don't think you want that kind of risk. Unless Rosewill have cleaned up their act in recent days, I would stay away from ANY Rosewill product.

Edit:
Apparently they have somewhat. They're still using some cheap components, but their stuff has improved drastically.

They used to be among the worst but recently a lot of power supply brands have been stepping it up, including Rosewill. Why don't you search up Anandtech's review of the Capstone series.

Back