Building first gaming PC

Hi all,

I have never used a desktop besides at work and at university, so yes, I have been a complete laptop person for pretty much my whole life. Things change, however, so I am making a transition to desktop. Anyways, since this is my first post, I shall adhere to the post-making guide.

What are you going to use the PC for?
- Gaming. Pretty hardcore gaming, going to graduate end of this year and plan to take a year off doing nothing except casual work and lotsa gaming before I go corporate for life [oh how wonderful].

How much is your budget?
- $AUD 1300 - 1500

Where are you located? (a.k.a. fill out your profile)
- Okay. I'm bad, have not filled my profile, but Sydney, Australia

Are you willing to buy online?
- Depends, even though AUD USD dollar parity, I still feel its easier to handle if I were to get my parts from Australia. Oh yer, Australia is quite a bad country for building own laptops, let alone desktops, as there is pretty much only 1 place for parts [oh what a pain, I cannot link since I do not have 5 posts+]:

Google MSY Australia -> "Parts Pricelist Updated Daily" -> "Click here for our best parts price list in PDF Format"

Are you going to re-use any parts from an earlier build?
- No.

Do you need other peripherals like a monitor, keyboard and mouse, among others?
- A big screen does sound good. Keyboard and mouse I have already.

Have you already bought any parts?
- No. But I have read various reviews of parts so I sort of have an idea of what I want. For easy comparison, something like the Enthusiast's PC will do pleasantly for me.

Do you have an Operating System (OS)?
- WinXP, Win7HomePremium

Will you need any aftermarket cooling, such as a CPU\GPU cooler or a watercooling setup?
- Is it recommended?

On a side note, HT Omega does not distribute into Australia, but does individual international sales for $90 + $15shipping. Is it worth it? And is dedicated sound a necessity?

Cheers.

Do you have an Operating System (OS)?
- WinXP, Win7HomePremium
You mean that you already have one and won't need to purchase one right?

On a side note, HT Omega does not distribute into Australia, but does individual international sales for $90 + $15shipping. Is it worth it? And is dedicated sound a necessity?
Nah...unless you're an audiophile. Money is better spent elsewhere.

Would you like an SSD? How much storage do you need (I just threw in $180 worth of 1.5TB to get a price total).
Also, note that the HD6000 series is coming out very soon. At the very least, it may instill price drops, so I'd actually wait about a week.

OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3RPR1600C8LV4GK
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT55TFBGRBOX
Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Western Digital Caviar Black WD2001FASS 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
2x MSI R5850 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity
GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
LG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - OEM

Total: $1,365.87 without rebates/shipping/promo codes.
There won't be a huge price discrepancy for AUD. I didn't include a monitor, so you'll have to add that in too.
IMO a very preliminary build, we'll probably have to adjust it a bit, especially given the HD6000 series though I'm under the impression that it won't be a huge step.

EDIT: I'm starting to think that it may be better to get a p55+i5 and SLI two GTX460's, then get a bigger monitor. Anyone else?

Alternatively, you could drop the AMD motherboard, Phenom II X6, and the 2x 5850's for:
Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750
2x Palit NE5X460SF1102 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Sonic 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
MSI P55A-GD55 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Hmph, thats only about $60 cheaper...I though it'd be a bit more.

Well first HK, you have the memory linked to the CPU and itself.

Moving on, I like Intel builds, and everybody that games likes twin GT-460s.

This would be the i5-750; http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=i5-750 For on reason or another, Chipzilla has me addicted, whether it always makes sense or not.

For some reason, I like the original Antec 900 better. In the 1200 and the 900 (2) the front grill openings are too coarse for my taste.

I like the looks of this; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133072 It's aesthetically more refined, at least to my way of thinking. Note that we're not recommending it, just commenting on it.

You can never have too big a monitor. I've moved to IPS panels, so I have to give up at 24", otherwise to price is too extreme.

Ahh thats right, pick whatever case you want, the antec 902 is just there as place-holder as it is a pretty normal price for a case, maybe a little on the high side.

Thank you.

Thank for all the contributions.

And so, I have legged it around town checking up some prices and availability of certain parts and have made some findings:

1. For the OCZ Memory, is there a huge difference between CAS 8 and CAS 6? Is Corsair 4GB Dominator-GT an alternative?

2. And for MSI R5850 Twin Frozr, they only sell it under XFX and it's at a ridiculous price of 435AUD. Will

ASUS EAH5850 DirectCU TOP/2DIS/1GD5, 765MHz Core Clock, 4500MHz Memory
Clock (effective), 1024MB 256-bit GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0 x16

suffice? I am sorry in advance for the lack of URL links.

3. Australia no longer sell i5-750 so its all i5-760. That in mind, the price of AMD Phenom II x6 1055T sells at 199AUD and the i5-760 at 226. Given these prices, which one would be better?

Cheers.

1. For the OCZ Memory, is there a huge difference between CAS 8 and CAS 6? Is Corsair 4GB Dominator-GT an alternative?
Here, Corsair Dominator-GT is incredibly expensive. IMO if it's more than $10 dollars more, not worth it.

ASUS EAH5850 DirectCU TOP/2DIS/1GD5, 765MHz Core Clock, 4500MHz Memory
Clock (effective), 1024MB 256-bit GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0 x16
That'd be fine; same card really.

3. Australia no longer sell i5-750 so its all i5-760. That in mind, the price of AMD Phenom II x6 1055T sells at 199AUD and the i5-760 at 226. Given these prices, which one would be better?
Phenom II, just because it's a bit cheaper.
You can probably save some money on the motherboard too if you're not going to crossfire.

The HD6000 are out! YAY! Gigabyte HD6850 are only $249 if I pre-order them for 25th Oct... much cheaper than I would have thought... shall read the reviews later... any thoughts on them now?

It seems the HD6870 is meant to be >= to the 5850 but cheaper, at $315AUD. I will probably go with that now, lest the price of 5850 drops heaps in the coming week.

Any new thoughts?

EDIT: NviDia mulls price-cuts to counter the HD6800s, hrmm wonder how much they are gonna cut it down by? The Palit Sonic Edition 1GB sitting at 295AUD right now...

Note that in US, the 6850's are only $180 USD,
If you could find them at that price, I'd suggest you get two of them.

Back