Built new computer but monitor won't stay on

Status
Not open for further replies.

abowers22

I just built this computer. All parts are brand new. When I turn it on, the monitor turns green, then back to orange. Any thoughts?

Your description is too minimal

Please put your system specs in your Profile
(Just scroll down that page, and also answer Yes to show specs)

Also it's not something simple like you've plugged the monitor into the onboard Video card, instead of the Addon video card ? (if you have one?)

Also, the monitor doesn't turn on, but is the computer starting? (you can usually hear it.)

I don't have an add-on Video Card, so it is on the onboard card. And everything else seems to be running fine when I turn it on. Also I have already put in spacers so it's not sitting on the metal plate.

Also I have already put in spacers so it's not sitting on the metal plate
Can you explain that again (what?)

Also sometimes I just go blank, but I'm not sure what you mean :confused:

Of course :grinthumb

It's much clearer now.

Ok, so is the M/b under warranty
All parts are brand new

And everything else seems to be running fine when I turn it on

So it's either faulty Video card or M/b
Or that M/b doesn't support that Video card

I'm sorry, I lost my internet connection last night. It was the motherboard that I was talking about with the spacers. Yes, the motherboard is under warranty. So, you think I should either send it back or get a video card?

You get fans running and the monitor cycles to green light then back to orange.

Did you apply paste to your cpu heatsink before attaching it (or was it a pre-install 'pad' that had a protective 'skin' you had to remove)?

Is the heatsink FIRMLY attached?

I bought a CPU/Motherboard combo deal so i installed it just as it was. I don't recall having to remove anything.

OK - let me ask this this way - did YOU attach the heatsink to the soldered-down cpu OR was it already attached and is it STILL, after shipping to you, firmly attached?

And, again, do the fans run when you boot?

OK - you bought a case yourself and the psu wa in it?

Did you ensure the voltage selector was on 120?

Did you ensure you connected ALL required mobo connectors (20/24 pin and any 6/8 pin also required)?

The case did not have a psu, i bought that seperately. The voltage selector is correct and all connectors are right.

You will have to dismantle that comp, be sure and protect it from static while you do so, and connect everything OUTSIDE the case CAREFULLY!

This checks for internal shorting mobo etc to case.

You should be getting 1 single BEEP during post that tells you the boot checks were OK. If you aren't getting that, you aren't booting.

Remove the ram and run with only one module.

No boot? switch modules. try again.

Let us know.

Yes, the motherboard is under warranty. So, you think I should either send it back or get a video card?
I say send the Motherboard back

You may want to try with another Power Supply too, just to be sure it's not that.
But if you don't have another, just send the M/b back

I've already tried another power supply, and it comes out the same. I think I'm just going to send the motherboard back and get another one. Hopefully that will take care of the problem. Thanks so much for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back