TechSpot

Built new computer but monitor won't stay on

By abowers22
Jul 23, 2008
  1. I just built this computer. All parts are brand new. When I turn it on, the monitor turns green, then back to orange. Any thoughts?

2. Obi-Wan Jerkobi

Obi-Wan Jerkobi TS Maniac Posts: 592

First I need to know what are your system specs, you could use the system specs tool in your profile.

3. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Your description is too minimal

Please put your system specs in your Profile
    (Just scroll down that page, and also answer Yes to show specs)

Also it's not something simple like you've plugged the monitor into the onboard Video card, instead of the Addon video card ? (if you have one?)

Also, the monitor doesn't turn on, but is the computer starting? (you can usually hear it.)

4. abowers22

abowers22 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I don't have an add-on Video Card, so it is on the onboard card. And everything else seems to be running fine when I turn it on. Also I have already put in spacers so it's not sitting on the metal plate.

5. kimsland

Can you explain that again (what?)

Also sometimes I just go blank, but I'm not sure what you mean :confused:

6. Darth_Terra1

Darth_Terra1 TS Rookie Posts: 234

I think maybe abowers22 is talking about the motherboard but i cant be sure.

7. kimsland

Of course :grinthumb

It's much clearer now.

Ok, so is the M/b under warranty
    So it's either faulty Video card or M/b
    Or that M/b doesn't support that Video card

8. abowers22

I'm sorry, I lost my internet connection last night. It was the motherboard that I was talking about with the spacers. Yes, the motherboard is under warranty. So, you think I should either send it back or get a video card?

9. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 3,556

You get fans running and the monitor cycles to green light then back to orange.

Did you apply paste to your cpu heatsink before attaching it (or was it a pre-install 'pad' that had a protective 'skin' you had to remove)?

Is the heatsink FIRMLY attached?

10. abowers22

I bought a CPU/Motherboard combo deal so i installed it just as it was. I don't recall having to remove anything.

11. abowers22

And yes, the heatsink is firmly attached to the motherboard.

12. CCT

OK - let me ask this this way - did YOU attach the heatsink to the soldered-down cpu OR was it already attached and is it STILL, after shipping to you, firmly attached?

And, again, do the fans run when you boot?

13. abowers22

Yes, the fans run fine. The heatsink was already firmly attached when I received it, and it still is.

14. CCT

OK - you bought a case yourself and the psu wa in it?

Did you ensure the voltage selector was on 120?

Did you ensure you connected ALL required mobo connectors (20/24 pin and any 6/8 pin also required)?

15. abowers22

The case did not have a psu, i bought that seperately. The voltage selector is correct and all connectors are right.

16. CCT

You will have to dismantle that comp, be sure and protect it from static while you do so, and connect everything OUTSIDE the case CAREFULLY!

This checks for internal shorting mobo etc to case.

You should be getting 1 single BEEP during post that tells you the boot checks were OK. If you aren't getting that, you aren't booting.

Remove the ram and run with only one module.

No boot? switch modules. try again.

Let us know.

17. kimsland

I say send the Motherboard back

You may want to try with another Power Supply too, just to be sure it's not that.
    But if you don't have another, just send the M/b back

18. abowers22

I've already tried another power supply, and it comes out the same. I think I'm just going to send the motherboard back and get another one. Hopefully that will take care of the problem. Thanks so much for the help.

19. kimsland

By the way it's not the monitor I hope?

20. abowers22

No, I've already tried the monitor on another computer, works fine.

21. kimsland

box it up :rolleyes:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.