Bulletstorm beta leaks onto torrent sites

Matthew DeCarlo

There was a lot of commotion last weekend when a beta version of Crysis 2 leaked online more than a month ahead of the title's official NA release date of March 22. Although the early build is incomplete and unpolished, it's still fully playable and has undoubtedly been downloaded by hundreds of thousands of eager gamers.

EA's misfortune continues today as the publisher's anticipated shooter "Bulletstorm" has appeared on popular torrent sites. The Pirate Bay shows torrent files for both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 version of the game, but only the former has been confirmed to work. It seems the PC version is still under wraps for now.

Note: Video is NSFW

Crytek and EA obviously weren't thrilled about Crysis 2's leak, saying that they were "deeply disappointed by the news." They encouraged fans to wait for the final retail launch and although Epic Games and EA haven't responded to Bulletstorm's unofficial release, you can bet they'll extend similar sentiments.

It remains unclear how Crysis 2 and Bulletstorm slipped out. Many suspect that an unfaithful employee is responsible, while others believe it's just a marketing stunt. Regardless, it's worth mentioning that EA isn't the only publisher with plumbing issues as the full version of Sony's Killzone 3 also surfaced last weekend.

Permalink to story.

Princeton said:
So in like 2 weeks we've seen 3 fully leaked games. Something is very odd here.

I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same employee for both of the EA games. However, I do not think that these leaks are a marketing stunt, they are far too complete. If it was a marketing stunt they would have released a much early version or incomplete storyline.

So where is EA saying how disappointed they are in console gamers for downloading the pirate copy? Will they speak up about console game piracy like they have with PC game piracy? They pretty much trashed PC gamers over the Crysis 2 leak. Now I expect the same of console gamers.

@guest
No they will not and why would they.
I share your sentiments though. See this happens for almost EVERY game that comes out on consoles.
Sure it happens for PC too, but with PC games they usually don't get uploaded until 0 day or a couple days before it and usually it take time to crack these games. Console games on the other hand are almost always out at least a week before release and require no form of cracking, just burn and insert.
In conclusion we as PC gamers will continue getting more DRM and less games and with what games we get they are mostly shitty console ports anyway.

In terms of xbox 360 the levels will of piracy won't be close to the PC assuming the game has not been signed yet. Since it will only be playable by those with jtag systems(which is a small number). Now if it is signed than it will be playable by anyone who knows how to put files on there harddrive. However if the user is on xbl they will be flagged for playing it early.

Don't have a PS3 but I would assume with the root key being out in the wild the amount of piracy on the console would be high.

Also not that much time has passed since the leak.

I posted the comment above. It looks like it is a full game leak which for the xbox is a bigger deal than the beta leak.

Guest said:
I posted the comment above. It looks like it is a full game leak which for the xbox is a bigger deal than the beta leak.

Lol. The crysis leak was the full fledged game. Including the DRM master key and editor.

Well there is no grand consPIRACY here :p

This happens all the time with console games - they get released on release sites 1-2 weeks before retail.

Really this isn't news.

"Land in foreign environment, brainlessly kill everything in sight"

This is empty-headed game isn't so different from the US Military. Even Angry Birds is a better game (for 4.99).

The crysis leak was a leak. Yes it is a full fledged game but is isn't the finished game. The Bulletstorm game comes out the 22 so it has already been shipped to retailers. That is where the "leak" came from. What happened with Bulletstorm happens with every game console or PC. What happened with crysis happens far less often.

I guess that the security monkey missed one USB on the checkpoint?, really? i feel like that girl in Ghost World that thinks every single person is stupid, how hard can it be to secure their games from being leaked...

Why doesn't Sony use one of their "proprietary" cd/dvd formats for the ps3 games? It seems like utter stupidity to allow pcs to burn these optical media. Same with microsoft. My sixth grade teacher once had a sign on her desk that said "The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get."

Princeton said:
So in like 2 weeks we've seen 3 fully leaked games. Something is very odd here.

Why do people act like this is such a huge surprise? This happens all the times to many different games.

Unless this is some sort of brain dead stunt pulled off by EA marketing people, the company should locate and punish this wannabe pirate by making him walk the plank :).

Guest said:
The crysis leak was a leak. Yes it is a full fledged game but is isn't the finished game. The Bulletstorm game comes out the 22 so it has already been shipped to retailers. That is where the "leak" came from. What happened with Bulletstorm happens with every game console or PC. What happened with crysis happens far less often.

Why would they ship BETA code to retailers ?

Its not beta code it is the retail game. Game comes out next Tuesday. Techspot used the information from another article and that article was incorrect. This isn't a leak this is what happens with all games once they hit stores someone uploads them.

LOL leaked >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVR1isJnOII

you are a bunch of EPIC FAILs!!

This game definitely looks heavily influenced by Duke Nukem. I don't blame them though... They probably got tired of waiting for Duke Nukem and decided do develop a similar game themselves :p

There is no crack avalible for Bulletstorm, so nobody can play anyways. Might be able to install but not play.

Guest said:

Agreed, what happened to Crysis was something serious with someone on the inside leaking this to the public. These other major games (Bulletstorm, Killzone 3) being leaked is pretty common with the game being handled by so many different people. I guess everyone is just on edge and blowing this out of proportion.

TrekExpert said:
You would almost think someone is trying to sabotage PC gaming....

The PC version of the game hasn't been leaked as far as I know.

Back