Burning failed with Nero 11

Hey All --

First, I want to thank you in advance for taking the time to look at this...

When I tried to burn a .AVI (a movie that I downloaded) to a DVD, I got an error..part of that error message / log is posted below...any tips/tricks/suggestions you can offer would be a huge help...

"[22:10:23] NeroVision 22:06:19 #53 PHASE 38 File APIProgress.cpp, Line 275
[22:10:23] NeroVision Burn process failed at 2.4x (3,324 KB/s)
[22:10:23] NeroVision
[22:10:23] NeroVision 22:06:19 #54 Text 0 File SCSIPTICommands.cpp, Line 301
[22:10:23] NeroVision SPTIDismountVolume - completed successfully for FSCTL_DISMOUNT_VOLUME
[22:10:23] NeroVision 22:06:19 #55 Text 0 File Cdrdrv.cpp, Line 12125
[22:10:23] NeroVision DriveLocker: UnLockVolume completed
[22:10:23] NeroVision 22:06:19 #56 Text 0 File SCSIPTICommands.cpp, Line 464
[22:10:23] NeroVision UnLockMCN - completed sucessfully for IOCTL_STORAGE_MCN_CONTROL
[22:10:23] NeroVision 22:06:19 #57 Text 0 File SCSIPTICommands.cpp, Line 251
[22:10:23] NeroVision SPTILockVolume - completed successfully for FSCTL_LOCK_VOLUME
[22:10:23] NeroVision 22:06:35 #58 SPTI -1176 File SCSIPassThrough.cpp, Line 224
[22:10:23] NeroVision CdRom1: SCSIStatus(x02) WinError(0) NeroError(-1176)
[22:10:23] NeroVision CDB Data: 0x1B 00 00 00 02 00
[22:10:23] NeroVision Sense Key: 0x03 (KEY_MEDIUM_ERROR)
[22:10:23] NeroVision Sense Code: 0x72
[22:10:23] NeroVision Sense Qual: 0x01
[22:10:23] NeroVision Sense Area: 0x70 00 03 00 00 00 00 12 00 00 00 00 72 01
[22:10:23] NeroVision 22:06:35 #59 Text 0 File SCSIPTICommands.cpp, Line 251
[22:10:23] NeroVision SPTILockVolume - completed successfully for FSCTL_LOCK_VOLUME
[22:10:23] NeroVision 22:06:39 #60 PHASE 6 File APIProgress.cpp, Line 259
[22:10:23] NeroVision Finishing
[22:10:23] NeroVision 22:10:22 #61 Text 0 File ThreadedTransfer.cpp, Line 273
[22:10:23] NeroVision Pipe memory size 590400
[22:10:23] ExpressUI Burn process failed with status 3
[22:24:32] AMCUIBase Setting 'en-US' as Nero File Dialog language"

I am using Memorex DVD+R DL DVD's...am I doing something wrong?missing something?

Thank you again

No DVD burning with DL disc ?

Without knowing anything about your PC, does your DVD drive write to DL DVDs ?
If yes, then I would try some different software, just really to prove what is going on, i.e hardware or software problem.
My choice disc burning programs are Windows 7 own software, or Trueburner.
But don't think either support DL discs, so for a free program that does;
http://infrarecorder.org/
Also it would be worth trying a different DVD type, single layer, - or +.

Pardon my ignorance...

Thank you for the reply...how do I know if my "DVD drive write to DL DVDs ?" Like do you mean does my burner burn downloaded movies? (again, sorry for my ignorance)

I am running Windows XP...anything else about it you need to know / any specifics that would help?

Recordable DVD comes in single layer which can stores 4.7GB and double layer which stores 8.5GB. Then there's also a "+" & "-" version of each type. Not all recorder can write to a double-layer disc, some recorder will only write to a "+" or "-" disc. Some are multi-format and can burn to either "+" or "-" discs.

I think what bostonguy asked is whether your recorder is capable of writing to a double-layer DVD. Do you know the make/model of your drive?

Btw, I've used both Imgburn and CDBurnerXP when I had XP. Both worked well. Using Imgburn on Windows 7 now.

DL or maybe not?

Hi. This question is current with me too as I have just changed one of my DVD drives to an LG Multidisc.
I should have asked "Have you burned dual layer DVD's before?"
If you have and this problem has just happened then that's one problem.
Best approach would be to find out if your DVD drive can handle DL DVD's.
If you built the pc, with retail DVD parts, you should have text on the front of the drive door that lists the compatible types. Look for 'DL'.
It might say "CD/DVD+-RW DL" (What you need) or CD/DVD RW (which most likely won't support DL.)
If you are using a "brand" pc (Dell, Sony etc) there may be no info on the front.
Or the drive may not be the type it was built new with.
If you go into "Control Panel /Device manager" and list the optical drives, you will see the brand and model number of your drive~ (Sony/NEC/LG etc).
Or if not enough info there, try a program such as;-
http://www.piriform.com/speccy
or;-
http://download.cnet.com/HWiNFO32/3000-2094_4-10437914.html
Then you can Google that number and get the spec, to find out the info you need about DL compatiblity.
If you cannot burn your .AVI file to DL, then you can use the cheaper DVD-R or DVD+R's. Some years ago DVD drives would only work with - (minus) DVDs or + but not both. If your PC is 5 years or so old or younger, it should handle - & + types. I use supermarket DVD+R discs (10 for £2.75) and don't have many problems.

I think what bostonguy asked is whether your recorder is capable of writing to a double-layer DVD. Do you know the make/model of your drive?

Oops, I meant mike1959, not bostonguy.

Hi there...

Thank you for responding...

I have a Philips DVD + - RW DVD8631 in my computer. (this computer was given to me by a family member so I am not even 100% sure if it's a. hooked up properly and b. what kind of condition it's in)

Could it be that the drive is not working?

Also the specs for this say...

DVD Disc at Once
Multisession (DVD±R)
Packet Write (DVD+R and DVD+RW)
Sequential Write
Random Access Write (DVD+RW)
DVD-Video

I'd post the link but I can't as I haven't posted here more than 5 times...

I would assume that based on this is SHOULD be able to burn to / on my memorex DVD+R DL 8x 8.5 gb dvd's, no?

The full spec for that optical drive is at;
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/p82123/en/specs.htm

So it appears that it won't work with Dual layer DVD's. But it seems DVD +R and DVD -R should be ok.
Of course the maximum file you can burn onto a DVD is about 4.7GB, but you can check the .AVI you are trying to burn in it's "properties" option. (Right click on the AVI file, the "properties" is the last one on the list.)
If the file you want to burn to DVD is greater than 4.7GB, the burning software may have an option to split it over 2 DVD's.
I don't know Nero 11 software, but it's very well used by many people so really should do what you want.
Also worth checking if your XP is up to date with Microsoft updates. Nero may need XP service pack 3.

Under Performance, it says "write: 2.4x DVD+R DL", so it should work w/ +R dual layer media.

Performance Rotational Speed:
CD Read: 16X, 24X, 32X, 40X
Write: 8X, 12X, 16X, 24X, 32X, 40X (CD-R)
Write: 4X, 10X, 24X (CD-RW)
DVD Read: 4X, 8X, 12X, 16X
Write: 2.4X, 4X, 8X, 16X (DVD+R)
Write: 2.4X (DVD+R DL)
Write: 2.4X, 4X (DVD+RW)
Write: 4X, 8X (DVD-R)
Write: 4X (DVD-RW)

@ VideoHelp.com, it's also listed as being able to support +R dual layer media.
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters/philips-dvd8631/810

Perhaps a firmware update might resolve the problem.
http://www.storageupdates.philips.com/en/oem_dvd8631.html

@Rabbit01... You have some different info about that DVD drive to me.
The Dell page I found shows DVD-+R Read and Write, but nothing about DL !
Hmm... If it was mine, I would just try a DVD+R and see what happens.
I don't think Dual layer drives are very common even now, I have just last month fitted a LG multidisc with Lightscribe to my 6 year old Dell, it didn't cost much, so that's always an option.

Yes, what mike1959 said. Try burning w/ DVD+R. You can find them anywhere & they're inexpensive.

Will do...

Hey Guys --

Thank you for the prompt response....I will grab a few at Target or Walmart or something...now, my brother used to have a DVD burner and it seemed like the - R's were the most universally recognized i.e. they could play in an XBOX PS, etc. Any recommendations as to which ones play the best in those ? i.e. XBOX360

This is all the formats supported by the XBOX; (From a review website);-
•Support for DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 CD, JPEG Photo CD

So I would say either will be compatible, but it is known that + discs give more options in the way that disc info can be shown on a pc, not better discs though.
In my experience, either type can be good, either can fail from new.
The brand name DVD's do seem to be more reliable, but I buy the supermarket own brand, I get 95% good results, with the odd one fails to format.
But at 28p each ( 40 cents ?) not too much to worry about.

If for some reason, you can't burn at the default speed, which is usually the max speed the disc is rated for, try lower speed.

In fact I would go further and say to burn at x4 or at most x8, because it makes much less chance of write errors.

If for some reason, you can't burn at the default speed, which is usually the max speed the disc is rated for, try lower speed.

Let me clarify this, it's not that the burn process isn't successful. That worked, but if the player can't read the disc, then try slower speed as mike1959 suggested.

Sometimes I'd use rewritable discs to see what speed/settings work best. That way, I don't end up w/ a bunch of coasters.

Back