Buyer beware: Some iMacs arriving with broken screens or DOA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Scattered reports around the Web indicate that there may be one or more design flaws with Apple's 27" Core i7-powered iMac. Many users claim that their high-end iMac systems have cracked screens out of the box, and some units are completely dead on arrival. Among the affected are editors at Engadget, who recently received a new i7 model that refused to boot -- though, a different i7 iMac was fine.

Customers have piled into the Apple Support forum to complain about their busted machines, but Apple has yet to determine the root of the problem. It would seem most likely that the cracked displays are a result of insufficient packaging, poor handling -- or both. The DOA machines could also stem from improper shipping practices, though it is less probable.

Thankfully, Apple is replacing all cracked or otherwise defective iMacs free of charge. As noted by Engadget, if you plan to give someone an iMac for the holiday, you may want to test the system prior to gifting.

Permalink to story.

That would be the worst Christmas/Kwanzaa/Hanuka/holiday present ever...Well if the packaging used for Macbooks is anything like what they are using for these iMacs, I'd have to blame the shipping process. The packaging I have seen is top notch, and I'm noticing more packages arriving which were clearly dropped/poorly handled at work and home alike. I know shipping can sometimes be had very cheaply, but NO ONE wants to deal with returns or something being damaged due to the shipping.

I bought a 27" iMac Core i7 as a Christmas present for my brother, opened it up, and sure enough, the lower left corner was cracked. Hopefully the replacement arrives unharmed.

Maybe its the way they designed shipping the package, you know, all that foam they stick in there. Since so many are breaking it is most likely the packaging.

Agreed it probably got something to do with packaging.

I think it would be the perfect gift some a few people I know "Aww its broken, well I guess it just works right?"

I'm a Geek Squad agent, and I just had one last week that a customer bought and wanted checked before he took it home... sure enough the entire bottom stand had been messed up... the screen was fine but the packaging was all torn up and the stand was severely disfigured... We replaced it for him immediately of course, but Apple really needs to do something about it.

I would find it hard to be packaging that would cause this much damage, seriously how can a company package something so expensive in such a weak box. I've personally dropped a 42" LCD (In its box) 7 feet onto the floor of a truck and it was unharmed, the box showed some damage but the TV was good and it was some random brand name TV. I'm sure Apple is making good packaging, its more than likely some sabotage by a delivery company somewhere along the line or some really poor handling practices.

PS. It wasn't my fault the TV was dropped, I just unloaded the trucks whoever put it up that high is the one to blame :p

coldpreacher said:
Nice to see that even though the root of the problem hasnt been discovered Apple is allowing recall's free of charge.

As well any manufacture should when you shell out almost $2,000. As powerful and pretty these desktop laptops are I'd still rather have a headless imac. And no the mac mini doesn't count.

Just make sure if when you receive any electronics is too check the contents before signing for them.
Save a lot of headaches...

however, given apples' reputation on their ipod warranties, i'm sure it would be much easier for people to claim insurance in person at the retail stores, no? if it was just a cracked screen it might be difficult. but with DOA units, no?

Cracked screens or damage to the lid is not new with apple unfortunally.
This has apparently happend a lot at our supplier as well. Bad packaging thats the problem.

At the high prices apple tend to sell thier machines at, one would think they could add an extra layer of foam, and making the packaging a bit bigger, but protecting the content.

Less focus ont making the packade look good ....make it secure the expencive stuff inside instead. .. im throwing the box, away .. dont care about that...I care about the electronics i pay for.

apple again treating its customers poorly when will they learn i smell another lawsuit waiting to happen if they dont fix this problem soon.

I could see one or two computers out of hundreds/thousands arriving damaged because of careless handling, but a whole slew of them like this? Weird.

Somewhere in the distribution process there's something wrong. Maybe there's a spot on the conveyor system in the warehouse where they are dropping or banging into something? Disgruntled employee even?

klepto12 said:
apple again treating its customers poorly when will they learn i smell another lawsuit waiting to happen if they dont fix this problem soon.
Is that sarcasm, or do you just really hate apple? haha

A screw-up is a screw-up. it's not like they're out to mess with their customers. forcing themselves to replace a boat-load of imacs free of charge isnt' exactly the best way to do it anyway.

matchu said:
klepto12 said:
Is that sarcasm, or do you just really hate apple? haha

A screw-up is a screw-up. it's not like they're out to mess with their customers. forcing themselves to replace a boat-load of imacs free of charge isnt' exactly the best way to do it anyway.
the reason i say this is because apple is notoriously sly when it comes to something being wrong with there products and they always seem to blame the user instead of themselves.

LazyNinja said:
I could see one or two computers out of hundreds/thousands arriving damaged because of careless handling, but a whole slew of them like this? Weird.

I agree, maybe a container load hit something somewhere around the world. How many units were estimated to be really affected anyway?

Its not shipping's fault when its packaged incorrectly, Mr Apple Fanboy. I don't have any news of this number of just LCD screens or TV's being broken on arrival.

There are too many people reporting the same problem to be improper handling. The one used in the article looks like it was used in a high speed crash simulation. How rough can you get to make it look like that? They need better packaging and they also need to inquire the ones that made the delivery to see if they have problems too.

Possibly Microsoft are paying delivery people to put a 5 kg hammer to the packages from Apple.

So much for their "top quality hardware"...
but i mean, yeah that would be totally embarrassing giving someone
one of these, have them open it only to discover its been trashed..
they might think its a practical joke and hate you for it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back