Buying a new mobo.... advice very welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

josbd

I need to buy a new mobo pretty quickly since mine is on it's last legs.

Remainder of system comprises:

Athlon XP2500+ Barton
Creative Audigy (the original version)
nVidia GeForce4 MX440
512 DDR SDRAM

The expiring mobo is an AS Rock K7S8X rev 3. First a RAM slot fell over, and now 2 PCI slots have died. Time for a newbie, I think.

I don't have a great deal to spend, since I took you guys advice and bought a thoroughly decent graphix card for my bro!

Question is, should I go for a newer AS Rock, or try another brew entirely? At some point I will be upgrading the graphix card, and the sound card. I will also be adding more RAM when I can afford it. I don't game, but I do like listening to good quality sounds. Basically this mobo is not going to be stretched to the limit. I am UK based.

So, guys, any suggestions as to where I might begin to look?

Many thanks in advance! :D

in addition to said abit board, the gigabyte ga-7n400 pro featuring the nforce 2 chipset is a good board and would satisfy your needs. asrock generally makes boards low in quality and performance, getting another asrock now or ever is not a wise choice.

Didou's advise is bang-on, but Abit's AN7 has the edge when it comes to sound.
SPDif In/Out and a newer Soundstorm chip. The included uGuru is more a gimmick than useful.
You could always sell your Audigy towardss the cost of the new mobo.

Please realise that you will have to reinstall Windows, when you change mobo.

If you're keeping the Athlon 2500+ go with an MSI K7N2 series.

I have heard way too many problems with ASUS and Abit boards.

I just got an Abit board, and so far I have nothing but praise for it. Seems to be a good board. I bought it on advice form several people and haven't been sorry.

DFI - Lan Party NFII - Socket A ATX Motherboard with Audio, AGP 8X/4X, USB 2.0, FireWire, Serial ATA, RAID and Dual Ethernet LAN Support ... If you want to extreme oc nothing rival this board.

Thanks very much all! I shall investigate all suggestions.

I like the little old 2500+ and until it gives me grief, I shall keep that.

I've used ASRock boards in building cheapola systems for people in the past, and they have always been easy to build on, and reliable. This one is a couple of years old. Time for a better one.

I had an Asus board earlier, and it gave me nothing but grief, so I gave up on it and sold it.

Aye, good point about flogging the sound card, too.

As for reinstalling Windows.... it's all I seem to do these days! Sticking with W2K Pro, too.

Many thanks! :D

josbd said:
Thanks very much all! I shall investigate all suggestions.

I like the little old 2500+ and until it gives me grief, I shall keep that.

I've used ASRock boards in building cheapola systems for people in the past, and they have always been easy to build on, and reliable. This one is a couple of years old. Time for a better one.

I had an Asus board earlier, and it gave me nothing but grief, so I gave up on it and sold it.

Aye, good point about flogging the sound card, too.

As for reinstalling Windows.... it's all I seem to do these days! Sticking with W2K Pro, too.

Many thanks! :D
if you dont want spend a lot hold on.http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=866731&Tab=11&NoMapp=0

i and everyone i know has found asrock to be crap. low performance, low quality, short operational life, and general cheapness charechterise asrock boards. you'd never catch me building someone a system with one of those in there. whatever works for you...

Funny you should say that, I have an ASRock K7S8X working fine as it has been for the last 8 months. Asus did not want to be associated with entry level hardware so they created ASRock so it's just a smal department (spinoff if you will) of Asus.

They are quality products, they just happen to be budget oriented.

Well that's the thing, I have used them to build pcs for mates of mine who are restricted, cash-wise, so I have used the ASRock mobos together with lower powered Athlon XPs and they are all still running to this day. So I guess they have their place in this world. I didn't realise they were an offshoot of Asus, so useful info there!

I shall have a look at the Chaintech, and thanks for adding that in!

josbd said:
Well that's the thing, I have used them to build pcs for mates of mine who are restricted, cash-wise, so I have used the ASRock mobos together with lower powered Athlon XPs and they are all still running to this day. So I guess they have their place in this world. I didn't realise they were an offshoot of Asus, so useful info there!

I shall have a look at the Chaintech, and thanks for adding that in!
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/vnf4ultra/12.html heres another test on the chaintech "difrent model"

Ok, decided to go with an Abit. One final question for those in the know, what is the difference between Abit NF7-S and the Abit NF7-S2G, since they are the same price?

like i said, whatever works for you. i've seen many sorry excuses for boards with an asrock badge, more so than most other companies (topstar and ecs take the lead in crappiness).

zephead said:
like i said, whatever works for you. i've seen many sorry excuses for boards with an asrock badge, more so than most other companies (topstar and ecs take the lead in crappiness).

Well I wouldn't go that far, since I haven't had a problem with ASRock boards, and I have used many. Guess it all depends on the experiences we have eh?

No Ecs

My advice is to stay away from ECS(elitegroup). I have recently purchased two of their boards... each is buggy and when trying to upgrade bios to fix the bugs, I have run into problems both times.... The guys at ECS offer no real support either for these problems

josbd said:
what is the difference between Abit NF7-S and the Abit NF7-S2G, since they are the same price?
The NF7-S2G has the new nVidia Southbridge which has some new features, mainly Gigabit Ethernet as pointed out by IronDuke but it also has the built-in nVidia firewall, it supports native SATA (instead of SATA through the Silicone Image chip) & most importantly, it no longer has the SoundStorm sound system (which is a great loss IMO).

I've had nothing but good experience with MSI motherboards. The ASUS one I had never worked.

THIS board is great

Motherboards Socket A nVIDIA Chipsets nForce 2

MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR nVidia Socket A ATX Motherboard / Audio / AGP 8X / USB 2.0 / 10/100 LAN Support / Serial ATA / RAID

Item #: M452-2708 Avg. Rating: 2 Reviews

Price: $64.99

Availability: In Stock

Select An Extended Service Plan OptionWACA 1 Year Replacement after Mfg. Warranty Ends..$9.99WACA 2 Year Replacement after Mfg. Warranty Ends..$16.99

you wont have any problems with a MSI mobo

TIGER DIRECT

Didou said:
The NF7-S2G has the new nVidia Southbridge which has some new features, mainly Gigabit Ethernet as pointed out by IronDuke but it also has the built-in nVidia firewall, it supports native SATA (instead of SATA through the Silicone Image chip) & most importantly, it no longer has the SoundStorm sound system (which is a great loss IMO).

Well that does it for me, I shall go with the original, since the SoundStorm made all the difference in making my choice!

Thanks Didou.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back