Buzzing subwoofer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Japhir

Hey there!

I've been experiencing a very annoying problem lately.

I have a 2.1 sound system for my pc, namely this one: Sweex SP002V2 2.1.
Now after a while it starts humming/buzzing, getting increasingly louder. The only way to stop the buzzing is to hit the power button and turn it on again, but the buzzing returns very fast.

It continues to buzz when the cable to the pc is disconnected, so the problem is in the sound system.

Any ideas how to make it stop? it's kind of annoying to have to interrupt gaming/movie watching experiences to get rid of the nasty buzz.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Japhir

I'm having a bit of difficulty figuring out whether you're speaking about an "AC line hum", which is something you might hear from a damaged input cable, or a mechanical "buzz" which is something that might be caused by the surround of the woofer cone being torn, or the voice coil of the speaker being partly unwound. The latter would be caused by excess heat or a manufacturing defect. If it's not an issue of cable hum, inexpensive speaker systems, such as that of a typical computer system are sealed, and really can't be repaired. The double whammy is that generally there is a fairly stiff charge involved for returning the product for "warranty repair".

A lot of these warranties cost more than the product to enforce, and that's pretty much how the "lifetime warranty" came about. They will honor it forever, but it's still cheaper to throw it away and buy a new one.

That said, while I'm sorry to hear you're poor, the sad fact is, that when cheap plastic garbage breaks, it isn't mindful of the owners socio-economic status, it just breaks, no matter who you are.

It continues to buzz when the cable to the pc is disconnected, so the problem is in the sound system.

well i have to agree with what captaincranky said. no matter who you are, it's matter time to upgrade.

but if you still insists on keeping it, do check the transformer, maybe it's loosen (that explains the buzzing). or maybe dirty AC line (try other outlet). and anyway buzzing is not common with PC speakers, but hissing does. if it hisses, well, considering it's relatively cheap i suggest you save up for a new one.

hey guys, thanks for the replies. Somehow it hasn't buzzed the last couple of days without having changed a thing... the next time it starts i'll be sure to record the sound and post it up here :).

oh and im not THAT poor lol :p. I'm just student-poor, meaning I can't afford expensive systems ;).

This sounds like a grounding problem to me. Might aslo be a bad capacitor. How fast does the buzz return once you turn it back on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back