C-Media CMI8738 gameport not working under XP

By jsepia
Jul 11, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I bought a Genius Sound Maker Value 5.1 sound card with the CMI8738 chip. I acquired it only to be able to connect my old joysticks to the gameport because my motherboard doesn't have one.

I had XP x64, but I installed the 32-bit version (Professional SP3) after finding out that x64 didn't support the gameport.

I managed to set up the gameport and it's being recognized as 'Standard Game Port'. At first it had an IRQ conflict with the COM1 port, but I changed the COM1's configuration and fixed it.

But every joystick I plug in shows up as 'Not connected' even though they work fine on other computers.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the gameport and sound card drivers multiple times. What am I doing wrong?
  2. Ultiweap

Ultiweap TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 742

Check if that the COM port is well connected to the mobo.
  3. jsepia

jsepia Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

No, my motherboard doesn't even have a real COM1 / Serial port. Should I disable it from Device Manager?
  4. Ultiweap

Ultiweap TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 742

Yes I think that you may disable it as it may be preventing windows from detecting the one you configured.
  5. jsepia

jsepia Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

So, any advice on how to fix the game port? I tried several drivers, to no avail.
  6. imthezorro

imthezorro Newcomer, in training

No I have a same card and I use good. Pls check new driver with site.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.