TechSpot

Cable modem -> switch -> router and a SonicWall firewall

By porterj5
Aug 4, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I need some assistance with our network at the office. We recently switched from having our data and voice being managed through a T1 and a phone server on site to having a cable modem and a virtual PBX.

Previous set up was T1 Line -> Box from T1 provided -> one line to the phone server and a second line to a SonicWall Firewall which then went to a couple of dell switches.

We have switched to a cable modem with 5 static IP's and a virtual PBX. Tech support for the PBX company suggested we configure our net work as follows.

--->Router---> Switch that connects to all phones
    Cable Mode --> Unmanaged switch--|
    --->SonicWall--> Switch that connects to computers

I configured the router for the phones and that works with no problems. But, when I configure the SonicWall with the information provided by our cable modem provider it worked but the SonicWall said it needed to restart after configuration so I clicked restart. Then the the internet connection wouldn't work and I couldn't get back into the SonicWall.

After numerous attempts at powering down the SonicWall and switch I finally was able to access it again and then the connection disappeared and finally I got access back again and reset everything to how it was on the T1 line.

The WAN setting on the SonicWall are as follows:

SonicWALL WAN IP (NAT Public) Address: I set this to an IP address in the range provided and made sure it was different than the one in use by the router for the phones.

WAN Subnet Mask: I set this to the subnet our provider sent listed

WAN Gateway (Router) Address: I set this to the Gateway address our provider listed

DNS Server 1 & 2: Set to what our provider sent over.

There is also an option for LAN settings.
    SonicWALL LAN IP Address: I left this as it was
    LAN Subnet Mask: I set this to the subnet mask our provider listed.

From reading the setup guide for the SonicWall everything seems to be correct but then I am not able to access it nor do we have an internet connection. The phones still work so there is connectivity to the modem.

I also tried connecting directly to the SonicWall rather than through a switch with no success. Reseting seems to eventually work but I am not sure if that worked or if it was something else.

I am not sure what additional information would be needed so if you need something else please let me know.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.