cable select help

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok.. 2 hard drives
windows xp...

whenever I ask it to boot from [0] the new hard drive.. it freezes in a menu asking me to run in safe mode - normal..ect..

but it will boot from the [1] with no problems... the jumper is in place.. the cables are fine.. I'm stumped any ideas?

How did you install the operating system(s)?

Did you clone [1] to [0]? How did you do it?

Was [1] originally [0]?

Why do you mention cable select? Did you tell the drives to use CS for master/slave negotiation? Do you have a CS capable IDE cable and you conncted it right?

well I had initially 2 hd's..
as master and slave..

I've sold my comp and the new owner has replaced one of the hard drives with his own to use as a boot drive..

he's partitioned it... both drives are on jumper for [cableselect]

now what I'm unsure of is if he's installed a new version of xp on his own hd and I may have an older version of xp pro on my old hd...

the old hd "mine" used to be [0]... now is [1]
his new hd is now [0]...

I can only boot from [1] the old one or it freezes in the safe mode/run normal mode option screen...

he wants cable select and I believe I ahve the right cables [80] for the cable appears to hjave finer lines than the older 40...

getting frustrated here... lol
I'm hoping it's just an easy error and not some complete failure of hardware.

ok just tried booting the computer simply from his hard drive with mine not even connected....

It freezes.. "windows did not start succesfully"

Welcome to TechSpot

should make the hard drive you are using as main boot device master.
Put the drive that does boot back in machine and boot it up look for file boot.ini
copy this file ,you may have to uncheck read only in file properties.
do search on internet for boot ini sequance
also will your at it under computer management make his drive/boot partition active.
on the cabling most first boot devices go at the very end of cable,not necessary ,but it helps
in bios first boot should be HDD 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back