Call of Duty: Black Ops named 2010's most pirated PC game

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Call of Duty: Black Ops has been crowned the most pirated PC game of 2010 according to TorrentFreak. Launched only last month, the title has been downloaded a whopping 4.27 million times for PC. That's more than last year's most torrented PC game, COD: Modern Warfare 2, which reached 4.1 million illegal downloads in nearly the same time span.

Battlefield 2: Bad Company 2 (released in March) is the second most pirated PC game with 3.96 million downloads, while Mafia 2 and Mass Effect 2 were torrented 3.55 and 3.24 million times. Despite setting a record for having the most data illegally downloaded (15.77PB as of last month), StarCraft II placed fifth in total PC game downloads with 3.12 million.

Dante's Inferno is this year's most torrented Xbox 360 title at 1.28 million downloads, just ahead of Alan Wake (1.14m), Red Dead Redemption (1.06m), and Halo Reach (990k). Surprisingly, Black Ops placed fifth on the 360 list, though it was downloaded practically the same number of time as MW2 last year (930,000 versus 970,000).

Meanwhile, Super Mario Galaxy 2 was downloaded 1.47 million times for the Nintendo Wii, followed by Wii Party (1.22m), Donkey Kong Country Returns (920k), Kirby's Epic Yarn (880k), and Red Steel 2 (850k). If you're curious, TorrentFreak noted that its figures are collected from several sources, including all public BitTorrent trackers.

Permalink to story.

Not that I'm justifying piracy, but I understand that COD: Black Ops costs $60 and it took my little brother 2 hours to beat the campaign.

There's something just not right about that.

"it took my little brother 2 hours to beat the campaign."

Either your brother is a secret war machine created by the goberment or needs to get out more.

I call shens. Takes at least 4 or 5 hours to beat the single player campaign.

Still, considering the quality the game came out with and that its technically inferior to mw2, it shouldn't have cost $60

Is this game really that horrid? If it is, why are people snapping it up like they are?

I think the multiplayer is pretty darn good. The campaign was ludicrous and short, unfortunately.
It is kinda buggy though

The games piracy could be caused by the performance, due to the fact that the so called "multi core optimization" just turns the other cores into a glorified heater.

If there's any game that has ever deserved to get pirated, it's this one.

I bought this game and it took them 2 months to make it work, Why should people pay for garbage? Companies gotta actually start giving a rats *** about quality.

I wish i D/L a hacked version so i knew not to waste my money.

red1776 said:
Is this game really that horrid? If it is, why are people snapping it up like they are?

You know what they say Red... Haters gonna hate :)

That many downloaders can't be wrong.

Recycle said:
This sickens me. I could never pirate a mediocre game.

Isn't that backwards thinking? Good games should be bought while mediocre games should be pirated.

Guest said:
I call shens. Takes at least 4 or 5 hours to beat the single player campaign.

Still, considering the quality the game came out with and that its technically inferior to mw2, it shouldn't have cost $60

I second this, it took me 6 hours to beat the SP campaign and 5 hours a second time around.

Then again, people don't buy COD games for the SP anymore.

Guest said:

Neither should have MW2. It was an average game, over-hyped game and this bullshit pricing scheme is now being adopted by EA, so they can expect me not to buy any of their games any time soon.

Wow, you guys just reminded me there was a SP part of COD:BO, I completely forgot!

Let's see how many hours it takes you to unlock/beat MP,

I buy CoD games for the story, set pieces, cool scenarios. Not bought this one yet will do when it is a more resonable price in about..... 6 years.

Screw multiplayer t-bagging screeching 10yr old repetitive crap. Lol I like multiplayer really but seriously put some effort into lengthening the campaign Tryarch.

Solution.....Lower the price if you want it pirated less. Will it still be pirated sure....but a lot less. I think $39.99 would be the sweet spot for new games...any more and you get rampant piracy. Same for songs..Anything greater than .10 per song and kids will not buy....sorry. I think a lot of these companies price themselves into piracy. Example..Microsoft lowered prices on windows and office...A lot less piracy!

I see a problem here.
You almost all seem to think stealing is OK. That's what Torrenting a whole game is you know.
It's too expensive!,
It's a lousy game!,

Pretty sorry for excuses.

"Anything greater than .10 per song and kids will not buy,.. sorry"

"Kids" should perhaps save their allowance and pay for it like everyone else who does.
Or perhaps even go get jobs.
"That many down loaders can't be wrong."

Yes they can....

Back