Can an Nvidia 9800 GTX run Crysis on the highest visual settings

Y3KUZA MOB

I'm debating wether or not I should buy the nvidia 9800gtx, can it run mw2 on high settings without sli and crysis? Well any new game on high without sli, or should I try to get a 9800 gx2. I'm on a budget though,, less then 200 dollars and I don't have room to sli, that's why I ask about gx2, can anyone help??

When I first read the question, I thought you posted this 2 years ago.

For 200 dollars, you can get the latest released GTX460 768MB. Unless you're not talking about US dollars (if its not, pls tell us conversion rate).

It's US dollar, when I say 200, I mean I barly have it, anything under is good, that's why I was looking at the 9800 gtx+, could you find that card on new egg?

A 9800GTX/GTX+ is basically the GTS 250 and can be had (as you see) for $107 (low profile bracket) or $108 (standard PCB). If you get any 9800GTX/GTX+/GTS 250 be prepared to make a few compromises in game IQ (image quality) depending on your screen resolution.
A better bet would be either a HD 4870 1Gb ($122, but no DX11 support), HD 5770 1Gb ($130) or a cheap (if you can find one) GTX 260 216SP -All three cards are broadly comparable and would give markedly better performance than the 9800GTX/GTX+/GTS 250.
The card that CMH directed you to is this for $199. It is a significant step up from any of the cheaper cards I listed. The GTX 460, even in 768Mb form would play Crysis at a very good framerate and high IQ. This review will give you an idea of the relative merits of the card at stock speed, and this for factory/user overclocked.
Bear in mind that a well optimized DX9 render path for Crysis looks almost as good as an unoptimized DX10 version but will give a significantly better framerate.

CoD:Modern Warfare 2 isn't a particularly challenging game for this card either

I quickly suggested the GTX460 because of the $200 you mentioned.

I wouldn't suggest a DX9 card at this time. It is a good possibility that any new games released would require a minimum of DX10 soon. Bear in mind that DX11 cards are already available.

COD:MW2 is pretty tame requirements wise. Crysis is supposedly tougher on hardware, but I've never played it.

Personally, I'm buying into the shiny new hardware which is priced perfectly into your budget... but the other suggestions dividebyzero linked for you may suffice, depending on your budget concerns and gaming future.

Thought I'd give our OP a selection to work from.
The GTX 460 is by a good margin, the best card in the sub $200 bracket at present. There may be deals at newegg for HD 5830's especially, or HD 5770's but the OP would need to be quick in ordering since most of the deals are time constrained.

Crysis generally lives up to it's name as a game built to make systems cry, but with a few tweaks can be made much easier on the hardware than the default settings.

I made the mistake of trying to play Crysis on too high a setting, and felt nauseated within 10 mins. Never touched it again.

I'd check out the HD5830, given that the GTX460 768MB is only about 10% faster. Of course, if you were into overclocking the gap may be much wider, since the 460 is built with overclocking in mind.

Well I'm gonna do the gtx 460 1 gb and on day sli it and have no problems, but I do need a new CPU and motherboard, any suggestions??

You have an unlimited budget for a mobo+CPU but were limiting yourself to a 9800GTX for graphics for a gaming system ?

How about something like this...
SR2watercoolGTX480SLI.jpg

sigh.....

I reckon best budget for money is a plain ol' socket 1156 mobo with the i5 750. Given that I don't think SLI is a good idea, I don't know which motherboards are best.

However, I do know having SLI at x16/x16 isn't much different to having SLI at x16/x8, so don't make x16/x16 motherboards a priority. Doubt there are any to choose from with a socket 1156 anyway.

Also, Intel socket 1366 motherboards tend to be much pricier, and take only i7 CPUs. People who go the SLI route tend to go for these, only because they are more interested in bench numbers than their wallets IMO. If you can tell the framerate difference without FRAPS, you've got bionic eyes.

Or of course, you can go dual socket 1366 Xeons as pictured by dividebyzero, who is proving a very important point about STATING UR BUDGET.

Can a 9800gtx run crysis on the highest visual settings?

I am using Intel e3300 dual core 2.5ghz with my PNY 9800GT 512mb gddr3 green edition
http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/10/07/28/qg.png

I haven't tested Crysis on my dual core yet, but i did however try Crysis Warhead at 1280x1024 all enthusiast settings, without aa. Get around 25-44fps. With aa 20-37fps. So yea it can run it, but with 200 bucks, i would buy a 5770.

yea it can run it, but with 200 bucks, i would buy a 5770.
Disagreed.
The GTX460 is stronger than the 5770, and the 5770 is actually under $150.
Both good cards, different price point with the 460 being the faster card.

I wish it were.
The owner is one of EVGA/TPU forum's heavy hitters (forum name "Fitseries3" at TPU. Has a SR-2 build thread there)
Here's another couple of his creations..... (component fit out listed in the forum gallery).
Double_double_vision.jpg

A bit OTT. But if you have the connections and you aren't buying retail then why not!
My system is a little more mundane (Core i7 950/X58/6Gb RAM/Corsair 800D/ Corsair HX1000)

Yeah. It is pretty over the top. But wouldn't I love to have one of those!!!

And as for your system, it doesn't seem mundane in my eyes. Especially not with the GTX 280 SLI! :)

I will be joining work soon (college over!). Intend to spend a part of what I earn on a really mean build. :) Not sure whether I should wait for 2011 though. Any ideas?

In truth, i'm in fact quite happy with my 9600gt, and don't really want to hassle with upgrading or building a new computer.
Then again...I still play starcraft?

Not sure whether I should wait for 2011 though. Any ideas?
If you're planning on a mainstream (P67) build then 2011 is the likely way to go. That would allow the market to settle down pricing wise, more choice in boards and more importantly any driver/firmware.hardware issues should have been found and hopefully solved by the early adoption.beta tester crowd.
If you're planning on an enthusiast setup then I'd jump onto an X58/Core i7 setup either whenever you feel the urge to build (if buying all new) or once Sandy Bridge launches (if looking at new/second-hand) There may be some people who migrate from X58 to P67 just to have the newest setup, although X58 is still going to offer the best performance. I wouldn't expect X58/Core i7 to drop markedly once P67/LGA1155 launches but it's possible that some small price cuts take place from motherboard vendors.
"Patsburg" (Sandy Bridge-E/LGA 2011) won't probably hit retail until mid 2011 and will likely be hugely expensive for at least six months, followed by being merely very expensive from that point onwards. Taking into account pricing/availability (including the need for a matched quad-channel RAM kit) and possible bug fixes, the time frame could stretch out further than your patience!

Back