Can I use fan of my Dual Core for my Core 2 Duo processor?

It will probably be OK but if the replacement CPU is a higher wattage keep a carefull watch on the temperatures. Make sure you apply new thermal paste when fitting it. Use this free software to watch the temperatures, set it up so it displays the temps in the task bar.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

I highly doubt temperatures will be a problem.
Not only that, but all the intel CPUs' of the same socket come with the same fan, regardless of wattage ratting.

The fan you have should be OK, why spend more money? But if you do want to get a new one just be sure it is for the same socket number and don't go for a bargain cheap one.

The fan you have should be OK, why spend more money? But if you do want to get a new one just be sure it is for the same socket number and don't go for a bargain cheap one.
Stock intel fan is hardly out of the cheap area.

mccbrs, you'll want to learn how to properly apply thermal paste.

Early Intel CPUs, ("Prescott P-4" and "Pentium D" especially), drew more power, and hence made more heat than the later 65 watt "Core 2 Duo" offerings, which are all 65 watt TDP.

Accordingly, the early heatsinks had a lot more cooling area, (read "a lot more metal"), in them.

So, an early heatsink on your C2D, would cool better than its own supplied HSF.

I say this from personal experience, since I have a HSF from a "Celeron D", (86 watt) on my "Pentium Dual Core E2200", (65 watt TDP), and it improved the cooling from the E2200 stock unit.

With all that said, the earlier HSFs still have the annoying 80 mm fans, which have an annoying sound.

Please note that when I say, "cools better", that I don't mean, "cools great".

Also, this is a hardware question, and consequently might have been better placed in one of the hardware forums such as, "General Hardware" or "Processors, Chipsets, and Motherboards", or even "Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding".

Back