Can IDE work on SATA? How?

By shaggyvixe
Nov 25, 2006
  1. I had a old Gateway PC that I was using cause I couldn't afford anything else well I have 2 IDE HDs on it (a 250 gb and a 80 gb) and 2 days ago my motherboard burnt out (literally) an I was offered a new pc but heres the catch. It has SATA HD plug ins on it. My question is how can I use my IDE hard drives on this new PC? I have a LOT of my music on my 250 gb (220 gigs of music!!!!!) and wanna be able to access it on the new pc.

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. DegeRandolf

DegeRandolf TS Rookie

3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

you have a few options. Like Dgerandolf said, there are converters. Your next option is a USB to IDE adapter and turn your IDE drive into an external drive.

However, if you get a motherboard with BOTH IDE and SATA ports, use one type or the other. Windows gets confused when you use IDE and SATA drives at the same time. If you use a converter, this isn't a problem. Windows defaults to IDE during crashes. Some people may never experience an issue, but it is well known to happen.

In your case, the motherboard will "see" a SATA drive that is really an IDE drive. Of course the speed is significantly slower.

here's an example of a converter:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.