Can the firmware be corrupt in a computer that doesn't start up or shows no video?

rodion15

Hi,
If a computer doesn't start up properly or is showing no video (for example: doesn't start up from a bootable USB drive nor CD etc) and I've exhausted all the troubleshooting procedure. I always think, PERHAPS MISTAKENLY "what if the firmware is corrupted? shouldn't I reinstall/update it?.

Please answer to what I asked, sometimes you guys answer unrelated stuff. Thank you ;)

Last edited:
Do you have it set to boot up from these devices in the bios? How ever from what you have posted. It could be a failing motherboard.

Do you have it set to boot up from these devices in the bios? How ever from what you have posted. It could be a failing motherboard.
It's the motherboard, it's bad. Of course, the computer was set to startup from its internal hard drive. It looks like the troubleshooter presupposes the cmos can forget all startup options and leaves your computer undecided on where to start from, very unlikely I think, I guess it must be for some other reason.

If it is the mother board. Then time for a new one. Your saying it was set to boot from your hard drive. This here is why it would not boot from the cd or Usb drive. It would need to be set in the bios to boot from either the usb drive or the cd. Last of all a bad cmos battery will stop the bios from keeping it settings. For example if you set it to boot from the usb drive. In the bios. Once you reboot the computer it will go back to default settings. Most that have a bad cmos battery. Post a checksum error at the first post of the computer.

You said
  • doesn't start up properly
  • showing no video
  • doesn't start up from a bootable USB drive nor CD etc
  • I've exhausted all the troubleshooting procedure.
Okay... clarification time
  • Is this a laptop or a desktop?
  • Make; model; equipment details...
  • What other "troubleshooting procedures" have you tried, specifically?
  • For you, "doesn't start properly" and "shows no video" are the same thing?
  • Do you have activity lights showing drive activity?
  • If this is a namebrand, are there error codes (lights, beeps) being generated?
  • Can you access the bios screen or is it black too?
Even if you cannot get to the bios screen,
without more information I would hesitate to say conclusively that it is the MB.
I am assuming you are certain that
it is plugged in and that there is power available at the outlet.
Still...
  • Do we know the power supply hasn't failed?
  • Do we know that the memory is properly seated?
    Do we know that the memory passes memtest?
  • Do we know that memory timings have not been mis-set?
  • Do we know that any/all cards (video, etc) are properly seated?
  • Do we know that the cards are not faulty?
  • Do we know that the cpu has not been damaged? (Overclocking?)
  • If a laptop, do we know the screen has not failed?
  • If a laptop, are we sure that a bad battery is not the problem?
Any of these can cause a failure to boot, or the appearance of a failure to boot.
If you have botched an attempt to flash your bios, then yes, that can do it too.
=================
Edit/Add: 07Sept2015
=================
You said...
sometimes you guys answer unrelated stuff
Maybe you think that's what I did?

Last edited:
Back