TechSpot

Cannot access Control Panel in Windows xp

By mrurreta
Dec 30, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. When I try to access control panel, the screen blinks and resets, but I cannot access control panel directly. Computer is a Compaq 6000, Athlon 1800 processor, 2 Gig. ram & 160 Gig. hard drive. I did 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal steps as per topic58138.html I have attached logs below. Thanks.
  2. BlkHeartWolf

BlkHeartWolf TS Rookie Posts: 160

You are running parental controls and a system security software has locked access to the control panel.
    try uninstalling it

O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
    RECGUARD.EXE is a protection software and you have parental controls on as well

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [parentalcontrol] "C:\Program Files\parentalcontrol\parentalcontrol.exe" "C:\Program Files\parentalcontrol\parentalcontrol.dll" "parentalcontrol"

O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [DELDIR0.EXE] "C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\DELDIR0.EXE" "C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Guardian\"
  3. mrurreta

mrurreta TS Rookie Topic Starter

I previously uninstalled parental controls. However, I found fragments of the file, which I deleted. Problem resolved. Many thanks!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.