cannot access My Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I am using Win XP and NFTS file format, Win XP is in C drive and My Folder is in D drive. My Folder is a private fodder (other users on the same machine cannot access it).

I formatted the C drive two days ago and installed Win XP again, I was excepting that the private folder feature will be gone with the formatting, but I was surprised that I could not access My Folder (I think that the protection that private folder feature has put on the folder is still on).

My Folder contains very important files. :( :( :(
How can I encrypt these files?

Thanks,
Ali

You mean decrypt.
You can take ownership of these files as follows:
Boot XP into Safe Mode (Press F8 a few times when starting up) as an administrator. Now use Explorer to go to the folder on your D-drive, right-click them, select Properties, click the Security tab and click OK if a security message pops up. Click Advanced, then Owner tab. In the Name list select your (administrator's) name. Mark the Replace Owner on subcontainers and objects check box. Click OK, Yes and OK.

For taking ownership of files, rightclick them, Security tab, Advanced, Owner tab. In Name list select Administrator or Admin-group and click OK. Click Add and in the "Enter the object...list" type a user or group account or Administrator. Click OK. In the group or user name list, click the account you want (e.g. Administrator), then tick the check boxes for permissions, e.g. Full Control [Allow].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back