Cannot connect to the Internet after reinstalling XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

anna29maria

After the second reinstall of XP I cant connect to the internet this time. I've got a Dell 4300S and tried to locate the missing drivers on the maunufacturers website but am not sure what i need to install. I was able to locate the original disk to my ethernet card and installed it but still nothing. I also tried to 'repair' the connection and get the message that the IP address could not be renewed. The previous threads in the forum havent solved the problem either. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Try downloading one directly from the Dell Website, we will need your Service Tag to direct you to the correct driver, the tag is located on your machine usually close to the Product Key :)

Also, list what drivers you have missing. You can get this information by going into Device Manager

Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Device Manager.

List all the devices that have Yellow question marks

Is it a laptop or a desktop? If it's a desktop I might have an easy solution for you because I had the same problem few days ago on my desktop.

Its a desktop and the tag number is 6FH4311. The only question marks are 'Other Devices- Universal Serial Bus Controler (USB)

I did and this model appeared to be a desktop and laptop as well. That's why I asked. If it's a desktop you may wanna move the LAN card to another slot. Like I said I had the same problem few days ago and when I moved it to another slot - guess what? :) Internet was back.
But I must say that this fixed my problem. I can't say for sure that it will fix yours.

That's why I asked. If it's a desktop you may wanna move the LAN card to another slot

Make sure you are comfortable with opening up your machine and take the proper care with anti static procedures so you don't ruin anything by sticking your hands inside :)

And don't forget to unplug your computer from the electric network. You may say "I know" but I'm just saying because I've read many stupid questions like "I tried to settle my RAM plates but the electricity got me, what should I do". :D

Like I said I had the same problem few days ago and when I moved it to another slot - guess what? Internet was back.
But I must say that this fixed my problem. I can't say for sure that it will fix yours.

rado84, Since you have posted on another thread that your operating system is pirated, you probably shouldn't be giving advice to others.

Post #4:
Mine is pirated and I have no such problems. Just turn off the automatic updates after the fresh installation and you won't get such messages.
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic135491.html

I switched the slots and still cannot connect. Does it matter that I dont have the USB root hub driver installed? I dont have the CD it came with and cant find it online.

No, if you are connecting directly to the ethernet port with the ethernet cable then the USB driver shouldn't be a problem.

When you plug in the cable does it say that it's connected but you have no web access? Or does it not connect up (still have a big red cross through the symbol), or is nothing even popping up in network adapters

I'm connected directly to the ethernet port and it says I'm connected. When I try to repair,it says cannot renew IP and to contact my ISP provider. The wire itself and the connection is good also as I'm on my laptop using the same connection without a problem.

On your laptop check your IP settings by going into

Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Locate the LAN you are using > Right click on the icon > Properties > Internet Protocol > Properties.

Check the settings for your IP address, default gateway and DNS

I can actually get some of them on the desktop also...an IP address and a subnet. On the laptop I get an IP, subnet, default and DNS Server. What should I be looking for?

For example, my IP properties look like this (see attached). They are automatically assigned. I'm wondering if your laptop has an actual static IP address set. Check if there are numbers inside the boxes

Attachments

• TS.JPG
    TS.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 6
Help! Cannot connect to the internet after installing XP

Mine are automatically assigned too. I've lately given up on my desktop but really need to figure this out soon.

USB root hub driver is missing suggests you should reinstall your chipset drivers. The chipset drivers may (or may) not also fix issues with your PCI network adapter.

In any case, try these drivers here

Then if problem persists see if Windows reports any problem devices
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

Also when you look at your Control Panel-> Network Connections, is the LAN connection listed?

I downloaded the chipset driver and installed it on my desktop and still couldnt connect after reboot. This is whats listed under my problem devices:

Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller PCI\VEN_1033&DEV_00E0&SUBSYS_16001631&REV_02\4&24B99E98&0&3AF0 This device is not configured correctly.

The LAN connection is listed an enabled. When I try to repair it it says the IP address cannot be renewed.

Do you connect your desktop to a router? (i;m guessing yes?)

If so, disconnect all other computers from the router.
>Shutdown your computer
> Power cycle your router off (10-15 secs) then back on
> Startup the desktop computer
Do you still get a cannot renew IP message?

I dont use the router since this whole problem began. I just unplug the cable form one to other or use my BB when I need the internet. Anyway, I power cycled my cable modem and still got the same message.

On the problem computer, click Start->Run, then copy/paste the command line below.
Code:
cmd /c ipconfig /all > "%userprofile%\desktop\ipconfig.txt"

The command will put an ipconfig.txt file on your desktop. Please attach it to your next post

OK. This is what I got:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : amscomputer

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter(LNE100TX v4) #2

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-41-F0-53-6F

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.42.198

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Hmm... your ipconfig info looks OK. So here's some recommendations / things to try

1. Power cycle the cable modem again to force a reset at the ISP end. This time leave cable modem powered off about 10-15 minutes. Then try again

2. You can manually try to renew the computer's IP address to see if it works and what error message by
> Click Start->Run, enter cmd to open a command prompt window
> In command prompt window enter
Code:
ipconfig /release
> Then enter
Code:
ipconfig /renew

3. Uninstall and reinstall your Network Adapter driver (this will also reset all the default settings for the adapter on your computer)
> Find the network adapter entry in Device Manager, rt click Uninstall
> If you now look under Network Connections, the LAN connection will no longer appear
> Now download and reinstall the network driver for your computer and try again

Let us know.... If above still doesn't help, you may need to get a new adapter and you should still follow up to get that USB controller issue fixed
See [post=751005]How to Reinstall Your USB Controllers and Motherboard Chipset Drivers[/post]

/* edit */
btw.. you've also tried using a different ethernet cable?

/* edit2 */
And since you just reinstalled Windows, is probably not the problem, but you might also want to look at these
How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP
How to determine and to recover from Winsock2 corruption in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, and in Windows Vista

btw.. just a comment for anyone reading this thread

I have seen, on occasion, some computers with internal network cards that connect to USB (internally) vs PCI (as most internal network cards do).

Which is interesting in this thread since the USB controller has a driver problem. However, the ipconfig /all data indicates a Linksys LNE100TX. And i checked and this Linksys is indeed PCI connected.

But just fyi.. is good to be aware that some internal network cards may connect USB (not often but can occur)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back