Cannot import registry entries

EXCellR8

I've been trying to import a few entries into my Windows 7 registry but I ran into a problem. Basically, I had made registry entries for a few games under XP that I didn't want to have to reinstall, since they are on a different drive. I was importing them fine until I got the error "could not add [file string]: Error accessing the registry." I've tried launching registry editor as admin but the same thing happens, and my acct. is administrative anyways. How do I get around this and why did it all of a sudden decide to break after several entries were imported?

The correct term is right mouse click on the regedit and "run as administrator".
I would be very surprised if an XP registry key would work in Windows 7.
Is the windows 7 64-Bit?

yes, the OS is 64-bit... but i wouldn't think that would matter, would it? the registry editor itself is 32-bit and the entries i've already imported work fine-but now none of them will import. i've checked the registry for corruption and it checks out OK so i'm confused as to why it's not working anymore.

i should also point out that the .reg files are NOT marked as read-only, and it wouldn't work in Safe Mode either.

Notice the Dirrectory Program Files and I think, Program Files (x86). (sorry been a while since I was on a 64-bit computer) Anyway the point is this windows 7 has two progtram Files directories and one is for 32-Bit programs. Are you trying to import 32-bit programs into 64-Bit directory?

the programs aren't the problem... like i said they are on a completely different drive and they are just games. in other words, none of these registry entries (be they of XP origin or not) are for software that is located in either Program Files directories. my problem is that the registry entries are not being added; as far as I'm concerned there aren't any compatibility issues thus far. thanks for the input though :)

A couple comments

1) I don't know if it applies to your case (nor do i run any x64 Windows to double check) but i think pjamme has a valid point re: The registry structure for Windows x64 may well vary from the registry structure for XP x32 (Note we're talking about the resgistry data structures and not if regedit runs as a 32 or 64 bit program)

2) That said, i also wonder if registry key access control permissions are involved / may have changed. See here.

that doesn't really explain why some worked though, unless they are internally different even originating from the same 32-bit OS. i've already checked the permissions and I have full control and ownership so i have no idea what's wrong. oh well, i suppose i will just have to reinstall some stuff to produce new entries, thanks!

on a side note, a couple of the reg entries that imported fine were those for Crysis and Fallout 3... interesting

something else that's interesting:

REG_DWORD : This data type is a Double Word. It is, a 32-bit numeric value and can hold any number from 0 to 232.
REG_QWORD : This data type is a Quadruple Word. It is a 64-bit numeric value.

that doesn't really explain why some worked though, unless they are internally different even originating from the same 32-bit OS.
I don't know for sure either ;) but can only speculate

1) Just like every file/folder can have its own permission set so is similar to registry keys
2) Also, just as when sometimes you see people sometimes have "Ownership" issues when they move a drive from one system to another (and they have to do the "How to take ownership of files/folders") same can be true with problems with registry keys as well

But i certainly don't know for sure about your case, other then hope you get it straightened out! :)

you and me both lol, but reinstalling a few items under 7 isn't a big deal so i've started to do that. i'm not gonna tinker around with permissions/ownership and registry settings too much, but i do have it backed up. i would however be interested in a program that allows me to edit .reg files other than the editor itself. that could be mighty helpful in future conflicts. any ideas?

also, i've come across numerous articles stating that the registry could be in use (even when closed) and to consult some kind of registry monitoring software...

i would however be interested in a program that allows me to edit .reg files other than the editor itself.
You can edit REG files with Notepad before you import them with REGEDIT (they're just text files), if that's what you mean?? I don't know of anything other then basic text editors for REG files

btw.. A couple other registry related tools i do find quite handy, i think worth mentioning and you might also find useful sometime
> Regshot - to do a "diff" between two registry snapshots to get a report of all the registry key and value changes between snapshots
> Regscanner - for searching the registry is a much better and faster tool then searching with regedit

/* edit */
Oh. One more. you might find helpful. I also like: Regjump command can be quite handy so when you have registry key names (e.g. listed in a text file or in a post) you want to look at
> Open a command prompt window, type regjump
> Then copy/paste the key name after regjump, hit Enter

Regjump will open the registry and navigate you directly to the key

Back