Cannot install MBAM, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbbfalcs

OK This is round 2 for me, back in December I joined and was successful in resolving a search engine redirect virus with your help.

I'm back again, primarily getting pop-ups and sometimes search redirects.

I have run CCleaner but cannot get Malwarebytes to install successfully.

At first I was getting -

Unable to execute file:
C:\program files\malwarebytes' anit-malware\mbam.exe
CreateProcess failed; code 2
system can not find file specified

Then I booted into Safemode, removed Malwarebytes, restarted back into Safemode, and re-installed Malwarebytes.

I got the same message as above in Safemode and could not start Malwarebytes.

Interesting note: the shortcuts on the desktop and start menu do not link to the program properly

Now I am getting no message but the program just doesn't start up.

I realize that this is probably just a symptom of my actual problem but I thought I might as well get a thread started right away instead of wasting time trying to resolve this myself!

Looking forward to your help!

There is a difference between install and run. It sounds like you got Mbam installed but couldn't get it to run- is that right? Try renaming it and see if that will get it through.

Bobbye I guess that you are correct, It may be installing OK but it will not run.

Tried renaming the install file, but it automatically saves it to my desktop so this is after I download it.

I also tried to install under a different file name but the actual program's icon does not take the new name. After installing I did rename the icon/file and still not able to run it. It just does nothing.

I guess what I am saying is that I don't know how to rename it properly.

I should have asked you at the beginning if you were using the sites from the TechSpot Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE.

We updated the version of Mbam a couple of months ago- maybe you're trying to get the old version. Current is v1.4.4.

IF you cannot do the above, then proceed with the programs below. Please attach all logs and reports in next reply: Either from the original 3 programs, or from Combofix, Eset and HJT.

Either run Mbam, SAS and HJT or Combofix, Eset and HJT- not both sets yet.
----------------------------------------------------
Please download ComboFix HERE:
  • With ComboFix, at the download window, please rename it to Combo-Fix(.exe) before downloading it.

Important! Save the renamed download to your desktop.
  • Please disable all security programs, such as antiviruses, antispywares, and firewalls. .
  • Double click on the setup file on the desktop to run
  • If prompted to download and install the Recovery Console, please allow.
    (Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.)
  • If prompted, to update, please do so
  • Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.
  • When finished, it will produce a log.Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.
Notes:

• 1.Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
    2. ComboFix may reset a number of Internet Explorer's settings, including making I-E the default browser.
    3. Combofix prevents autorun of ALL CD, floppy and USB devices to assist with malware removal & increase security.
    4. CF disconnects your machine from the internet. The connection is automatically restored before CF completes its run. If CF runs into difficulty and terminates prematurely, the connection can be manually restored by restarting your machine.

Run Eset NOD32 Online AntiVirus Scanner HERE
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  • Click Start
  • When asked, allow the Active X control to install
  • Disable your current Antivirus software. You can usually do this with its Notification Tray icon near the clock.
  • Click Start
  • Make sure that the option "Remove found threats" is Unchecked, and the option "Scan unwanted applications" is checked
  • Click Scan
  • Wait for the scan to finish
  • Re-enable your Antivirus software.
  • A logfile is created and located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt. Please include this on your post.

Then scan with HijackThis. Maybe we can find and remove enough to run it. But I don't have much to go on yet.

I could not get anything going, Combofix would not run. Started getting a lot of errors.

Seeing as how this was the second time I had caught a bug I decided it would be worth-while to start with a clean slate.

Thanks for all of your help regardless!

Sorry we couldn't help. I'm leaving some tips that will help the system security and hopefully help protect it in the future:

Please follow these simple steps to keep your computer clean and secure:
1.Disable and Enable System Restore: This will help you to drop the old restore points and set a new, clean one:

System Restore Guide

2.Stay current on updates:
  • Visit the Microsoft Download Sitefrequently.
    You should get All updates marked Critical and the current SP updates:Windows 2000> SP4, Windows XP> SP2, SP3, Vista> SP2
  • Visit this Adobe Reader site often and make sure you have the most current update. Uninstall any earlier updates as they are vulnerabilities.
    OR
  • ">Download Foxit Reader It is free and does the same thing as Adobe without the bloat.
  • Check this site often.Java Updates Stay current as most updates are for security. Uninstall any earlier versions in Add/Remove Programs.

3.Make Internet Explorer safer. Follow the suggestions HERE
This Tutorial will help guide you through Configuring Security Settings, Managing Active X Controls and other safety features.

4.Remove Temporary Internet Files regularly: Use5. Use an AntiVirus Software(only one)
6.Use a good, bi-directional firewall(one software firewall)
See Understanding and Using Firewalls including links to download a firewall.

7.Consider these programs for Extra Security
  • Spywareblaster:
  • SpywareBlaster protects against bad ActiveX. It places kill bits to stop bad Active X controls from being installed. Remember to update it regularly.
  • IE/Spyad
  • This places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • MVPS Hosts files This replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer.
  • Google Toolbar Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know. .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back