Cannot run any prog in win xp sp2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can boot to win xp desktop - but all icons are missing. Cannot run any program - always results in a Dr Watson error window, then desktop locks. Have to power off in order to shutdown. CTRL ALT DEL also results in an error window and desktop locks.

Can run safe mode and run programs, e.g. Excel, Word, etc. Dr Watson error log reported application exception with iexplore.exe (access violation) then errors locating symbol files. Default export file being used for various windows program files.

All this kicked off following a mcafee dat file update (but the error didn't occur until the following day).

any ideas please?

Download RatsCheddar.zip

It contains a program written by Rathat, and it is a Policy Controller.
Save and extract this program to the desktop.
Once extracted, click on the RatsCheddar.exe file.
Enable everything, then click Exit
Reboot your Computer.

Thanks for RatsCheddar. I ran it and enabled everything, rebooted but the problem persisted. Error messages I get are as follows: 1 "VirusScan Control has encountered a problem ......send to microsoft". Pushed "don't send button. 2 Windows Explorer has encountered a problem.........". 3. DrWatson Postmortem Debugger has encountered a problem.........". No icons on desktop. Pressing rh mouse button = nothing. CTRL ALT DEL = "Windows TaskManager has encountered a problem........". I can send the DR Watson error log file if that will help.

Have you tried using System Restore? Restore back to a point when this didn't happen. Let us know how it works out.

Have you tried unistalling mcafee in safemode and see if it still does it?

Go here http://www.ccleaner.com download, install then run that program..scan your pc for errors and fix them, then scan your registry for errors and fix them.

Also are you using any kind of spyware/adware software?
If not go here http://lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php download and install it..run it and update the definitions file then do a full system scan.

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic19133.html read over that and do what it says. and post the log here

I will await your reply.

To Nobardin

I can only install and run programs when in safe mode. Adaware would not install. HijackThis did install. I ran it and saved the log file, which I've attached. Note, I tried to change the properties of the HiJackThis icon, but I got a "windows explorer encountered a problem....." error windo and the desktop then locked up.

Bear in mind, the attached log file was created from within safe mode.

No it doesn't help

Click on Start-->Run-->MsConfig
Select Diagnostic Startup, or even just go to the Startup Tab, and untick all your Startups

(also you can run System Retore from MsConfig, there's a button in there for it)

But anyway, after selecting Diagnostic startup, restart back to Normal mode

In Normal mode, do you see all your icons and everything?

System restored back to 2 weeks ago, but problem persists. Ran and selected diagnostic startup, rebooted - same problem. I can't run anything in normal mode. Only the background wallpaper is visible - no icons, no start button, no system tray. Pressing RH mouse button fails toi bring up a menu. Even CTRL ALT DEL invokes an error window. I can boot into safe mode, and I can run some programs in that environment. But the machine isn't fully functional in that mode. I am sourcing the original Windows XP professional CD for the Laptop (Dell Inspiron 5100) and rebuild the operating system from scratch.

I am sourcing the original Windows XP professional CD for the Laptop (Dell Inspiron 5100) and rebuild the operating system from scratch
One staep ahead of me
But I would have said backup first in Safe mode, but err!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back