TechSpot

Can't afford Google Glass? Make your own like this guy did

By Shawn Knight
May 3, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Don’t want to wait another year for Google Glass to drop? Or perhaps you didn’t have $1,500 to spare when the Explorer edition kits were available for pre-order last year? Apparently neither did an Australian techie so he did the...

Read more

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,977   +908

Awesome. Any smart glasses <$200 will kill Google Glass.

p51d007 likes this.
  3. mrcavooter

mrcavooter TS Member Posts: 65   +7

The dishes... are done!

4. Hi guys, Ash_Williams the guy who built it here. Thanks for featuring me here, I have posted some updates and videos on my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MasterGamer1234

Feel free to contact me and I'll be happy to answer any questions, thanks again for doing an article on my work!

baN893 and cliffordcooley like this.
  5. Days latter the user goes blind...

6. Ash_Williams here, actually it's not that bad, wearing it for 3 days full-time now and it's honestly not bad. First day I had a massive headache but the following days it was completely normal!

7. Twixtea

Twixtea TS Rookie Posts: 87

lol man there's a reason you had headaches the first day, and if it goes away after 3 days it doesn't mean it's healthy now.

8. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

Seems legit

9. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,003   +1,503

The weight and shape of the frames alone can cause headaches. Thats nothing new for condemning the thought of wearing any glasses. And if that is the case, it has nothing to do with unhealthy concepts regarding the eyes.

10. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,469   +622

These things all combine to produce an unhealthy device:
    - You're looking unnaturally at upward angle.
    - The 'screen' is way too small.
    - The depth of the screen is way too close to eyes.

This all applies to Google Glass too. It's a flawed product.

11. "The device is powered by a Samsung Galaxy S i9000 which feeds the display using TV-out to a MyVu Crystal 701..."

And yet it's clearly a Nokia N9 in the first picture...

12. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,977   +908

13. Seeing as this guy isn't the first person to hook a MyVu to some glasses I'm not sure what the fuss is about...

14. Poor sod maybe he should concentrate on building a life.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.