TechSpot

Can't boot to Win 2000 after installing XP on another partition

By RianShelAbbe
Feb 12, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is my first time posting a thread in a forum - hope I do it correctly.

My student was supposed to install DOS and 98 on drive C:, then 2000 on a new primary partition, then XP on another primary partition for a multi-boot system. Instead, after installing DOS and 98 on drive C: (and making sure it worked), he installed 2000 on a logical partition. That didn't cause a problem with booting to 2000 until he installed XP on a newly created primary partition. Now 2000 is the only operating system that system cannot boot into. If 2000 is selected from the boot menu, the error message states:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
    Please re-install a copy of the above file"

Looking in XP Disk Management, the partition information is as follows:

C: - Primary - FAT 16 - 2 GB - labeled Healthy System
    D: - Logical - Unparititioned - 2G - labeled Healthy 0 bytes used
    F: - Logical - NTFS - 4GB - labeled Healthy 3.83 G used (2000's partitioin)
    G: - Primary - NTFS - 10.8GB - labeled Healthy (boot) this is XP's partition

hal.dll does exist in F:\winnt\system32
    boot.ini does refer to partition(3)\winnt for 2000's path

Is there a fix for this, or something I should try?
    Or is there a reason why Windows 2000 will never boot under these conditions?

Thanks, any advice would be appreciated.

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

A system like that only needs one primary (and active) partition, the one where DOS and W98 reside. (This could also be FAT32 with MS-DOS 6.22)
    Any follow-up OS will create/add its entry in the bootmanager, which will automatically be located on the C-drive in root.
    For that to work, the other partitions need to be logical partitions within an extended partition.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.