Can't boot XP - C000021a

By Psychobiker
Apr 28, 2005
  1. Hey,

Recently borrowed a friend's Dell installation disk (XP) to install on my machine with blank Seagate 40GB HDD.
    It loads, and installs, but misses quite a few files during install, ie. the blue screen comes up and says that 'file X cannot be installed, press esc/enter etc'
    And when I boot, it comes up with the XP loading screen (green bar moving under the logo), then a screen saying 'setup is now restarting' and then a bluescreen with 'C00021a - logon terminated' 0000000x0000000 or something like that. Anyone know how to help?
    The only repair option I have is to go into the console :(
    No idea what I want to log onto or what the system admin password is lol!

Help, anyone?

2. Psychobiker

Psychobiker TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 38

before anyone redirects me to the M$ support, there is no way I can press R once my install is selected. tried it, nothing happens. AT ALL, in any of thes screens bar the first one, which takes me into the console

3. Psychobiker

4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

You may need to partition that HD first, a large one at the beginning and a 2GB partition at the end. Format that 2GB partition in FAT32, and the large one in NTFS.
    Then boot from e.g. a Windows 98se bootfloppy ( and copy the whole XP-CD into that 2GB partition.
    Then enter the command x:\i386\winnt.exe wher x: is that 2GB space.
  5. Psychobiker

You're also in Ireland?! I'm in Loughrea. Will try that now

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.