Can't boot XP - C000021a

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychobiker

Hey,

Recently borrowed a friend's Dell installation disk (XP) to install on my machine with blank Seagate 40GB HDD.
It loads, and installs, but misses quite a few files during install, ie. the blue screen comes up and says that 'file X cannot be installed, press esc/enter etc'
And when I boot, it comes up with the XP loading screen (green bar moving under the logo), then a screen saying 'setup is now restarting' and then a bluescreen with 'C00021a - logon terminated' 0000000x0000000 or something like that. Anyone know how to help?
The only repair option I have is to go into the console :(
No idea what I want to log onto or what the system admin password is lol!

Help, anyone?

L

before anyone redirects me to the M$ support, there is no way I can press R once my install is selected. tried it, nothing happens. AT ALL, in any of thes screens bar the first one, which takes me into the console

L

You may need to partition that HD first, a large one at the beginning and a 2GB partition at the end. Format that 2GB partition in FAT32, and the large one in NTFS.
Then boot from e.g. a Windows 98se bootfloppy (www.bootdisk.com) and copy the whole XP-CD into that 2GB partition.
Then enter the command x:\i386\winnt.exe wher x: is that 2GB space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back