Can't connect to internet with new wireless card

davbell22602

I bought a new wireless belkin card for PC that never had one. I installed the drivers and did the security password for our connection since its secure. Still cant get on internet.

Please tell me what OS you are using.

Is the wireless adapter visible in Device Manager?

Windows Xp and yes.

Here's som info that might be helpful.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : david-9b4f57f43

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-58-39-DE-D8

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Belkin 802.11g Wireless Card

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-50-15-5F-AE

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.221.205

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Try uninstalling the wireless adapter in Device Manager and then rebooting, this will reinstall the drivers and set the wirelss card back to defaults.

Try uninstalling the wireless adapter in Device Manager and then rebooting, this will reinstall the drivers and set the wirelss card back to defaults.

Ok did that. Still no difference. I enter the PC name and password for the computer stairs on the downstairs to gain access on the internet. I also put the card in a different slot on the downstairs PC. Now its trying to connect. Working offline when opening Internet explorer.

In similar situations, i've found it things less complicated and helpful by starting by turning off router security and and see if the local computer could then connect. This allows you to start without having to consider all security layers and ways one can accidently screw them up (as i have time-to-time) . :D

Once it connects that way, start adding your security layers one at-a-time and seeing if the local computer still connects

/* EDIT */
In fact, i'll add, the first steps could be turning off router security then see if the local computer can simply connect to the router itself over wireless by typing the router's IP address as the URL (often= 192.168.1.1 but you need check for your specific router)

Ok did that. Still no difference. I enter the PC name and password for the computer stairs on the downstairs to gain access on the internet. I also put the card in a different slot on the downstairs PC. Now its trying to connect. Working offline when opening Internet explorer.

How far is the PC away from the wireless router, this may just be a case of a weak signal, Try moving the PC closer to the router and see if it will connect.

If that doesn't work reset the router. There will be a small hole in the box with reset written over it, push a piece of wire into the whole until the router resets. This will put the router back to defaults and clear all security settings and passwords. Then uninstall and reinstall the card on the PC and try the connection again.

Hi, this is the problem i think

Wrong IP, must be in the range 192.168.xxx.xxx

Try to reset!

This is the "Autoconfiguration" IP address that Windows assigns the adapter while it waits for IP address assignment by the router

must be in the range 192.168.xxx.xxx
This is the IP address you get once the router assigns the adapter an IP address

So still same issue: Why won't router assign an IP? (could be security settings, distance/ out-of-range, etc.)

The main computer thats on the router is upstairs and I use 2 other computers wireless downstairs.Its a new Linksys router.

How do I manually configure a IP address?

http://www.home-network-help.com/set-ip.html

This guide will help but I still think you should first move the PC nearer to the router and try to connect. If that fails then reset the router to remove all the security settings and then it should be OK unless you have not correctly installed the drivers for the new wireless card.

Try:
Code:
http://www.home-network-help.com/set-ip.html

For the IP address, try 192.168.1.111, bacause 192.168.1.101 as mentioned on that site, may be in use by the other pc'S

OOOPs!
Mark56 was quicker!

Ok, That link helped but still cant connect. It is finding the wireless networks though. The one the router is setup on with a password still wont let me in after entering the correct network name and password

As you are locating the network then the problem is most likely the security, reset the router as I suggested earlier and it should all come good.

After you have it all set up you can put the security back on.

I just happened to be online so just saw your question. If i may offer some answers from my own point-of-view

So have to reset router and redo the security every time I add new PC to a secure connection?
No. In theory, you should be able to do just what you've done/tried, but when you still can't connect it can be a "hair pulling" experience to figure out which one of so many different variables went wrong!

Some things that can make that process easier
1. Many routers let you save the current configuration to disk. If so, you can reset the router and then test your local computer to see if it connects, etc. When you identify what was wrong, you can restore the old router config and fix the the router or computer problem that prevented that connection in the first place

2. Also, sometimes, i turn off only the router security layers that affect wireless connection to see if that's sufficient for troubleshooting. On the router
==> Save the router config to disk and then
==> Make sure wireless access is turned on
==> Turn off any wireless encryption
==> Make sure your wireless network SSID is being broadcast (some routers let you turn off SSID broadcast, others not)
==> Turn off any type of MAC filtering (MAC filtering allows you to restrict which specific wireless network adapters are allowed to connect to the router)

Note all the above are typically just selectable options so is easy to turn them on and off for testing

Place the computer very close to the router and type the router's IP address into the computer's browser. Does it connect?

I just happened to be online so just saw your question. If i may offer some answers from my own point-of-view

No. In theory, you should be able to do just what you've done/tried, but when you still can't connect it can be a "hair pulling" experience to figure out which one of so many different variables went wrong!

Some things that can make that process easier
1. Many routers let you save the current configuration to disk. If so, you can reset the router and then test your local computer to see if it connects, etc. When you identify what was wrong, you can restore the old router config and fix the the router or computer problem that prevented that connection in the first place

2. Also, sometimes, i turn off only the router security layers that affect wireless connection to see if that's sufficient for troubleshooting. On the router
==> Save the router config to disk and then
==> Make sure wireless access is turned on
==> Turn off any wireless encryption
==> Make sure your wireless network SSID is being broadcast (some routers let you turn off SSID broadcast, others not)
==> Turn off any type of MAC filtering (MAC filtering allows you to restrict which specific wireless network adapters are allowed to connect to the router)

Note all the above are typically just selectable options so is easy to turn them on and off for testing

Place the computer very close to the router and type the router's IP address into the computer's browser. Does it connect?

How do I get the routers IP address.

That will be the router's logon page.

Easiest is go to any of your computers that ARE connecting. From command prompt type ipconfig /all. Look at the Default Gateway for any connected adapter (that's the router's IP address). In my example, router's IP address is 192.168.1.1. You should be able to do the same on any connected computer and get the router's logon page

>ipconfig /all

Code:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : XP-PRO3
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethern
et
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-25-64-95-13-5F
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.8
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        [B]Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1[/B]
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, February 04, 2011 3:15:47 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, February 05, 2011 3:15:47
PM

From command prompt (from pc with troubles) type ping 192.168.1.1

Try this also from other pc's, and compare the outcome!

Back