TechSpot

Can't delete the damn adware

By Doctor Gallop
May 10, 2006
  1. Programs, Applications and Registry issues like Real Player, Borland, JetCar, Flash Jet, MacroSphere Player and others keep coming right back after I attempt to "uninstall".
    Is there a reliable freeware utility that can get rid of these "pests" once and for all? I've tried a few different ones with no success.
    Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.
    Dennis

2. Spike

Spike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,168

just fyi - Borland is not adware. It's a highly respected compiler.

The others are debatable.

I shall move your thread to the Security and the Web forum. Please follow Howards instructions HERE.
    Post a HJT log as a .txt attachement only when finished.

3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

which ones have you used?

4. bobby123

bobby123 TS Rookie Posts: 336

go onto download.com, download the version of spybot

5. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

I agree, that SSD is a fine programme and will get rid of quite a lot of undesirable stuff. However, it won`t get rid of everything.

If you care to look at my instructions HERE. You will see that a whole variety of methods need to be employed to clean a system fully.

Everyday security programmes, everyone should have on a computer system are.

Spybot Search & Destroy.
    Ad-Aware personal se.
    Spyware Blaster.
    Ewido.
    A good firewall and antivirus programme(not Norton/McAfee). I personally recommend AVG free and Zonealarm free.

They should be fully updated and run on a regular basis.

Another good security measure is to get and use a decent browser, such as Firefox, or Opera. IE should only be used for Windows updates and for the odd site that specifically needs IE.

Take a look at Spikes thread HERE. It outlines various ways of making a system more secure.

Regards Howard :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.