1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't delete the damn adware

By Doctor Gallop ยท 4 replies
May 10, 2006
  1. Programs, Applications and Registry issues like Real Player, Borland, JetCar, Flash Jet, MacroSphere Player and others keep coming right back after I attempt to "uninstall".
    Is there a reliable freeware utility that can get rid of these "pests" once and for all? I've tried a few different ones with no success.
    Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.
    Dennis

2. Spike

Spike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,168

just fyi - Borland is not adware. It's a highly respected compiler.

The others are debatable.

I shall move your thread to the Security and the Web forum. Please follow Howards instructions HERE.
    Post a HJT log as a .txt attachement only when finished.

3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

which ones have you used?

4. bobby123

bobby123 TS Rookie Posts: 336

go onto download.com, download the version of spybot

5. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

I agree, that SSD is a fine programme and will get rid of quite a lot of undesirable stuff. However, it won`t get rid of everything.

If you care to look at my instructions HERE. You will see that a whole variety of methods need to be employed to clean a system fully.

Everyday security programmes, everyone should have on a computer system are.

Spybot Search & Destroy.
    Ad-Aware personal se.
    Spyware Blaster.
    Ewido.
    A good firewall and antivirus programme(not Norton/McAfee). I personally recommend AVG free and Zonealarm free.

They should be fully updated and run on a regular basis.

Another good security measure is to get and use a decent browser, such as Firefox, or Opera. IE should only be used for Windows updates and for the odd site that specifically needs IE.

Take a look at Spikes thread HERE. It outlines various ways of making a system more secure.

Regards Howard :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.