Can't drag/copy/paste files and folders and other problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional [Service Pack 3]

Hi, I have various problems all of a sudden which i hope u guys can help me.

1.) i cant copy/paste files or folders or anything, i've tried right click copy, and when i right click and wanted to paste, the 'paste' is grayed out and im not able to paste anything. i've also tried ctrl-c ctrl-v which doesnt work too. And i cant drag the files or folders too.

2.) i cant open my internet explorer, when i click internet explorer, the window just open and close immediately in less than a sec.

3.) when i minimise my windows for any applications, it doesnt appear on the taskbar, the taskbar is always empty. I need to alt-tab to get from windows to windows.

It all happed when my PC restarted in my absence might be due to windows update.

I would be thankful for any kind of help.

Bad idea....

Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hold CTRL, and SHIFT, hit Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy (with Vista, most likely, you won't need it).

Already done with 'sfc' but no luck :-(

I got to know that this has not happened with me only. Other users on my network are also experiencing the same issue :-( Multiple updated antivirus were run but no virus captured.

One of my colleagues said that he got Windows Update prompt (which restarts computer after 15 minutes). After update his PC also got infected.

Hi, ive got exactly the same problem. Yesterday while using RDP over a vpn line, i got this Windows imidiate shutdown message. I've seen those when the Sasser virus was around. After restart i experienced the exact same problems you described. Done all sorts of virus rootkit and malware scans Nothing.
i will now try to replace the explorer exe from another machine.
Oh, my windows update is set to download, but not install.

Just read the reports on the McAfee update bug and this seemed exactly what happened to me.
So I ran the update fix on:
vil.nai.com/vil/5958_false.htm

and all is back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back