Can't Get into My Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inziladun

When I click on 'My Computer' from the Start Menu i get the usual Loading sign, But when the loading sign disapears nothing comes up. I ran a few anti virus scans and adaware scans but I doubt it would be either. Any help?

-Inziladun

- Thread moved to proper forum
Didou

Can you give us more info, ie os and what the last thing you installed was? Have you run chkdisk - scandisk. if windows xp go to customise desktop remove and replace icon for My Computer

Last thing I downloaded were some skins for my game, I have Windows XP and where can i go to costomise desktop?

Probably just Windows Explorer problem, kill it with Task Manager (ctrl+shift+esc) and restart it.

You can customize desktop by right-clicking on it, select "Properties" and then something..

No, no not restart the computer, just restart explorer. Because if that is the problem, when you restart the computer it will reload the bad explorer.
After killing it, in the task manager go to file>>New task (run..)
then type in explorer.exe

When you're in Task Manager, what sort of CPU usage do you see right after you click on "my computer" and does it change given some time (maybe a minute.)??

If you walk away and come back a half hour/hour later, has my computer finally come up?

If you boot into safe mode, does this help bring My Computer up?

Finally, what were you doing before and when you noticed this problem?

BTW- Welcome to Techspot!

BTW2- Glad to see you posting again Poert! :)

The normal CPU Usage 0-4, No it doesn't come up if I wait a while. It stops loading completely.

I tried rebooting into safe mode... didn't seem to help the issue.

I noticed this a little while after I downloaded some skins. I messed up on a download and tried to enter my computer to fix it. That is when I noticed I couldn't get into 'My Computer'!! :(

And thanks for the welcome, I'll be sure to dump all my problems on you guys. ;)

I also found out I can't get into any other of my goodies at Start Menu, Like control panel and search

There has got to be a way to fix it.

I might have a solution for you, but I'll need an extra piece of information.

If you right click on the start button, a menu should pop up. In this menu, you should have the option to "Explore". Click on this and an explorer window should appear.

If it doesn't appear, then I don't have much in the way of suggestions.

If it does appear, then problem lies with a third party program (most likely) on your computer. We can do some investigating afterwards to solve the problem.

I would restored my System but I can't figure out how to restore to an earlier date other than yesterday. In other words it will only restore back one day. Since I downloaded the skins a couple days ago that wouldn't work. Someway I can fix that?

And I right clicked start, Explorer did not come up.

Do I have a bad virus?

try booting into safe mode, device manager and remove the bus master controller driver. Also disable the startup group in msconfig.

Doh.. I can't get into my control panel so I can't do system restore. Is there another way?

Also KRITONIO what would I be doing that for?

why?

it forces all devices on the ide bus to redetect. Rules out the possibility of a corrupt driver (consider this - what devices are listed in my computer?)

msconfig - disabling startup group? rules out any problematic startup items. (unlikely, but worth a try)

One last thing. Does the same problem happen in safe mode?

Have you tried running a system file check??

sfc /scannow

That can help things in many similar situations...

you have to run sfc from a command prompt... I may have the option flag wrong.. if that's the case try sfc /? and read through the options. Assuming you can read, you can figure it out. :D

Hope this helps some.

start->run->command

You should have a black box that stays there. Doesn't move, close, etc.

Then type in sfc /scannow (or /? or whatever else you want.)

I've been known to have a similar problem, but it resolves itself after reboot.

I found it occured after a system hang, an update, a lost internet connection, or an msn messenger freeze. I couldn't open IE, Control panel, network places, any explorer or search window...

It hasn't happened for a while now, so it seems to be fixed, although I did nothing to fix it.

Just posting in case this might shed any extra light on the problem.

Ok, I've tried both '/?' and '/scannow' both say 'Not reconized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back