TechSpot

Can't install anti-virus

By stitchintricia
Feb 13, 2010
  1. Hello,
    I hope you can help because I am completely stumped. I've been trying to clean up my husband's computer, without much success. I did get the original worm.win32.netsky removed, but there were still other remaining virus files, among them some AVG files that kept flashing pop-ups. I managed to get rid of those by doing a system restore. Still, there are more infections that are interfering with the internet connections.

I read through your 8 step process and, since I can't connect on that computer, I downloaded the programs to a usb stick and attempted to install from that. The virus apparently blocks the installation of the Avira antivirus. I should have guessed, since I have SecurityShield2009 on that computer and it has been disabled, and I can't reinstall it.

So, I am stymied. I do have Antimalwarebytes Anti-Malware program on the computer and I have been able to run that. It removes about 30 files. I also have a program called RegCure and it scans and 'fixes' about 10 errors. Still, the problems remain.

Any suggestions? I'll go ahead and try the next step, of the 8 steps, and I hope something works.

Tricia

2. Broni

Broni Malware Annihilator Posts: 47,660   +267

3. stitchintricia

stitchintricia TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 39

Sorry, Broni, I wasn't aware that I did double post. I posted an initial query and a later update. I don't know how, or when, the duplicate posting happened.

Again, apologies,

Tricia

4. Broni

Broni Malware Annihilator Posts: 47,660   +267

No problem :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.