Can't install anything new

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtlandis

Ok it took my kids exactly 6 months to do something to their computer that causes it now to not want to install anything new. Let me give you an example of what I mean.

They have a brand new Logitech QuickCam. We followed the install directions EXACTLY. The drivers & software load fine from the CD. When the camera is plugged in it is recognized. This is where we have issues. The camera and the drivers never connect. If you then try trouble shooting and manually selecting the drivers you get a Windows error message (28) telling you there is no data. The very same thing happened with a brand new Microsoft keyboard. FYI - it doesn't matter if you connect the keyboard via USB or PS2 port - same issue.

When I poked around in the Device Manager I found the following issues:

-One DVD Combo drive is disabled and Windows is unable to enable it. (Note: this drive appears to be working fine. It reads both CDs and DVDs).
-After clicking "Show Hidden Files", the following items under "Non Plug & Play Drivers" have yellow exclamation points:
-- _ishieldA
-- _ishieldB
-- catchme (this resolved itself after a reboot)

I have run AVG, Ad Aware, SuperAntiSpyware, CCleaner, Malware Bytes, Defrag, Disk Cleanup, ATF Cleaner, SD Fix and HiJackThis. Nothing seemed to find an issue. I am attaching my latest HiJackThis Log.

Computer specifics:

eMachine T6212, AMD Athon 64Processor 3200+, 2G Dual Channel RAM, ATI Radeon XPress 200 Series, Seagate 300G SATA HDD
The computer is about 3 years old. The hardrive is less than 1 year old and the RAM is 6 months old.

Attachments

• hijackthis05-13-09.txt
    16 KB · Views: 5
Your HijackThis log is VERY big, ie too big :D

You have many Startups and many Services running. Try this:

I recommend you uninstall your free AVG Antivirus
Then run the removal tool
Here is the 32Bit version (most users): http://www.avg.com/filedir/util/avg_arm_sup_____.dir/avgremover.exe
Here is the 64Bit version: http://www.avg.com/filedir/util/avg_arv_sup_____.dir/avgremoverx64.exe

An alternative Antivirus that I recommend is Avira free Antivirus (also being in the 8-Step guide)

Run Startup Control Panel and remove any not required startups: (should be most!)

Start up Malwarebytes again; Update it; then run a full scan (remove all found Malwares)
You need to run this multiple times, until all hidden Malwares are uncovered and removed

There you go ;)

Thank you much! I will give it a try and let you know how it went.

Before I forget - moral of the story. It is much better off to give the kids a ball and a bat than it is a computer. :D

Ok all done!

I still have the sort of disabled DVD drive and the 2 yellow exclamation points in the Device Manager.

I am attaching the logs of everything. I ran Malware twice it found nothing both times.
I got rid of AVG and installed Avira. It found 2 viruses but I am not sure they are really viruses.
I cleaned up my start menu.
SuperAntiSpyware found nothing.
I ran CCleaner for both files & registry until it was "clean".

I am too tired to try and install this camera or keyboard tonight. Especially since I am thinking nothing has changed. :rolleyes:

I look forward to seeing what new advice I can get to fix this issue. :D

I'm back! Did you miss me? :D

I forgot to mention earlier - this computer is running Windows XP.

Kimsland - I ran the software you suggested and nothing has changed in the Device Manager. The DVD drive still has an X thru it. When you right click on it, you are offered the option to disable it. When you go into properties, it says the device is disabled. When you press the "enable" button, Windows is unable to re-enable the device. Yet, the device appears to work fine. :confused:

I still have 2 yellow exclamation points under Non Plug and Play:

_ishieldA
_ishieldB

I am attaching my new Hijack this log. And No, I can't get rid of anything else in the start up. Love me, love my little bit of clutter. ;)

EDIT

I tried installing the cam again. Software loads fine. Then I get to the point where I have to plug in the cam. The cam is recognized by the computer. The drivers fail to install because the data is invalid. When I go into Add/Remove Hardware, a search reveals the correct drivers but in the end I get the message that the data is invalid.

Please re-run HJT Scan Only
Place a tick next to all of the following entries, and then select Fix:
Please close all / any Internet Browsers first
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://search.bearshare.com/sidebar.html?src=ssb
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R3 - URLSearchHook: AGSearchHook Class - {0BC6E3FA-78EF-4886-842C-5A1258C4455A} - C:\Program Files\AGI\common\agcutils.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {00478381-E099-4B71-A62A-2AA09EA88D6C} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {00AEDAF4-0A00-4BE0-98E5-DC91957AD860} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {038cb5c7-48ea-4af9-94e0-a1646542e62b} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {038cb5c7-48ea-4af9-94e0-a1646542e62b} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NBJ] "C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero BackItUp\nbj.exe"
O9 - Extra button: Run IMVU - {d9288080-1baa-4bc4-9cf8-a92d743db949} - C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Start Menu\Programs\IMVU\Run IMVU.lnk (file missing)
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{7AB6EEE1-CAE9-4F66-B14D-89D981729EFB}: NameServer = 208.59.247.45
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{7AB6EEE1-CAE9-4F66-B14D-89D981729EFB}: NameServer = 208.59.247.45
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\..\{7AB6EEE1-CAE9-4F66-B14D-89D981729EFB}: NameServer = 208.59.247.45
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: fgevpz.dll

The 017 entries above, I'm not sure why are loading
Also you have about 50 016 Entries !
Please also do the following:
Run IE Reset:

Then restart

Note: You had Malware in your log. You are requested to go through this guide fully:
UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions
And post a New Thread on the Virus & Malware removal forum

I ran HJT and got rid of the entries you wanted me to. I also got rid of most of the 016 entries. I knew what they were and they are no longer applicable to this computer.

I ran IE Reset and restarted.

I am not sure why there was an issue with IE. I never use it and the kids have been told to only use FF. You see how well they listen. :rolleyes:

BTW, I say kids but they are actually 23, 19 and 18. The oldest is recently divorced and a mother herself. The middle one is just recently returned from a tour in Afghanistan and the youngest will be graduating HS soon. But I digress. I am attaching my most recent HJT log for your approval. I will now redo the 8 step process (I did this yesterday but 2 of the kids have since been on the computer).

See you over in the Virus & Malware Removal Forum! :grinthumb

Look I'm just going to handle it here, even though we are in the Windows OS forum !

The entries in IE are not caused by using IE, (well not always) they are caused by downloading programs and running programs. Basically everything attaches to IE it seems, even when not being used.

Regarding your kid returning from Afghanistan. I realize this can be a good career but it sure comes at a cost. My kids don't want to join the forces, I say hooray :grinthumb
Note: This type of "chat" is really not supported here, ie political debate = no no :)

• Download Combofix to your desktop.
  • Double click ComboFix & follow the prompts.
  • A window will open with a warning.
  • When the scan completes it will open a text window. Please attach that log back here together with a fresh HJT log.

Edit: Ignore any popups by your Antivirus, or just disable it for the duration of the scan

Thank you much Kimsland for your awesome patience! :wave:

Ok I ran a virus scan. It found 6 warnings but no detections.
I ran ComboFix.
I ran HJT.
All logs attached. :D

Um Wow, that's one of the biggest Combofix scan logs I've seen
Are you sure you updated Avira first? (I'll say yes, because Combofix does find lots of extra badies ;))

I would recommend that you uninstall Ad-Aware too, it's starting with Windows, even though you don't use it

You really should run another scan with ComboFix, and provide the log again too, just to make sure, anyway it doesn't take that long to do)

You have "FrostWire" (peer-to-peer) installed. I'd say this 100% where all the infections are coming from, I'll just quote my normal response to that ;)

File Sharing Programs found in logs: FrostWire

Info on using P2P Programs => https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic124748.html
More info supplied here => https://www.techspot.com/vb/post752079-4.html

Quote from 8-Step Removal Guide:
Uninstall File Sharing/P2P Programs

During the cleaning process all File Sharing Programs should be uninstalled
This is to avoid any possible reinfection of any malwares through file sharing

We reserve the right to withdraw our support:
  • If such programs are found in your logs
  • Should you not agree to their removal.
As they are normally set to bypass your Firewall and Anti-Virus software
Filesharing/P2P Programs serves as a constant threat to your computer
Here's the idea, uninstall FrostWire :grinthumb unless you don't care about your system and data ;)

So far the HJT log looks a hundred times better though :)

Um Wow, that's one of the biggest Combofix scan logs I've seen

If you are going to do something might as well do it in a big way. :haha:
Are you sure you updated Avira first?

I always update before I run anything. :D

I would recommend that you uninstall Ad-Aware too, it's starting with Windows, even though you don't use it

Here's the idea, uninstall FrostWire

Done :grinthumb

So far the HJT log looks a hundred times better though :)

At least something is working out! :rolleyes:

So here is what I have done. Logs are attached.

I completed the rest of the 8 steps. I updated everything before I ran it.
I uninstalled Frost Wire and AdAware.
I ran ComboFix and HJT again.

If only the dog could follow directions as well as I can. :p

Hmm HJT looks good :grinthumb

Un-install Combofix
  • Click START then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /u in the runbox and click OK
  • CF_Cleanup.png
  • Any popup errors about Antivirus just ok or close
Note: 1 space after ComboFix in that uninstall command

Clear & Reset System Restore's Cache

Go to Start >> Run - type or copy/paste control sysdm.cpl,,4 and then press Enter
* Tick on the checkbox - Turn off System Restore on all drives
* Click Apply
Turn it back 'On' by unticking the same checkbox & click Apply, and then OK

Uninstall SuperAntiSpyware (User Choice)
Any issues uninstalling this, download the SUPERAntiSpyware Uninstaller Assistant

Run CCleaner

Restart and tell me if all is running good :grinthumb

Ok so I did everything I was supposed to do and I am still back at square 1. Well, maybe square 1.5, I do have a really clean machine now. However, my original issue still remains. I attached some screenshots to show you what is going on during the install.

BTW - I remember hearing something eons ago that XP limited the number of hardware changes you could make. I have no clue how true this is and I don't even remember where I heard it. I have made a number of hardware changes to this machine in the last few years....

The original DVD drive was replaced. A second DVD drive was installed. Then both of those drives were replaced.
RAM was added then totally replaced.
Hard drive was cloned & replaced.
A second hard drive was installed, data transferred then the drive was removed. Later another 2nd hard drive was installed, data transferred then removed.
Original printer was replaced.
Original mouse & speakers were replaced.

Could this possibly have anything at all to do with my issues or am I grasping at unrelated straws?

Try this

• DriveCleanup (download: drivecleanup.zip)
    Removes all "nonpresent" (unconnected and/or powered-off) drives from the registry. This includes the device's connection data (including the drive letter which may be cause of the problem) for currently nonpresent devices: "Storage Volumes", "Disks", "CDROMs", "Floppies"

Run it (I just did :grinthumb)

Restart

Test again

Good news and bad news.

The good news first....

After running Drive Cleanup, in frustration, I uninstalled the malfunctioning DVD drive in the Device Manager. After my next reboot, the DVD drive was "discovered" and installed properly.

Now the bad news....

No matter what, I can't get this stupid camera to install. I also can't get the keyboard installed.

So I guess I am up to square 2 by now. :D

Camera.
I usually just download the most up to date drivers, or use the CD (of which you are doing I suppose)

But the keyboard issue is a bit annoying. I think you mean it works? But none of the hot key software works?

Hmm you already have XP SP3

Try this:

Start-> Run-> SFC /ScanNow -> ok

Disable any live protecting software first (like AntiVirus or Firewall, you can disconnect from Internet too ;))

I ran SFC... When it was done it just disappeared. I didn't see a log file or error message.

In reference to the issue I am having it is exactly the same for the camera and the keyboard. The software loads fine, both are "found" by Windows. When Windows attempts to install them I get a message that the drivers could not be installed because the data was invalid. I get the same message even when I try manually installing them and "pointing" the Add Hardware Wizard to the drivers.

Which drivers am I using? For the Cam I am using the disk that came with it. I went to the Logitech website and downloaded drivers from there. But when I tried installing them I was told I had newer drivers already on the computer. For the keyboard I got the drivers directly from Microsoft.

In reference to the keyboard, when I boot the machine with it attached, the keyboard works until I get to Windows. Then only 1 of the soft keys works (calculator). Opening a notepad file and pressing keys yields a blank screen with a nonmoving cursor. If you look in the device manager, the keyboard is listed but with a yellow exclamation point. (Same issue with the cam).

At this point the only keyboard that works at all with this computer is the one that came with it.

I take it that you are running an Administrator account

Actually try this
Go to Control Panel -> Users
Create a new Admin privileged account
Then log off and log on to the new account

Once in the new account then try installing the drivers
Note: Installing the drivers on any Admin privileged account, will make them work on all users

If this doesn't work it might be time for a Windows Repair. What is the Service Pack of the Windows CD you have?
Or. Do you have a Windows CD or a Restore CD?
Or. Do you actually have a Recovery Partition only?
Or. None of the above. ie No Windows Setup disc at all

Tried creating a new Admin account and no luck. :(

I have the recovery disks that came with the computer and a recovery partition. I believe the Service Pack would be Service Pack 1 for that. I seem to remember the big ta do when Service Pack 2 came out. I am pretty sure I was using that computer then.

I gave the kids till 8 pm (EDT) tonight to transfer all the stuff they want to save onto CD/DVD. At 8:05 pm I will start the repair process. :rolleyes:

I already told the kids that if this doesn't solve the issue they were SOL. I have already spent several days on this, putting off other things I need to be doing. On top of working FT I also run an active website and have commitments related to that.

I do want to thank you profusely kimsland. Even if this doesn't work I really do appreciate all your help. :grinthumb

Good idea :grinthumb

At least there are no Virus or Malwares present

Here are the exact steps to remove the partition (that most forget to do)
This guide has an excellent step by step process, with pictures

Note: Once XP SP1 is fully installed clean
Activate online (or just call MS, and say you had to do a clean install due to Virus infection)
Then load SP2
Then load SP3
Then install Drivers
Then do all further MS Updates
Then install free Avira Antivirus ;)
Then install DirectX 9.0c
Then install Adobe Flash Player
Then install Office (or Open Office)
Then install Adobe Reader
At this stage you can start Optimizing
You can also then create an image (up to you)

:grinthumb

Microsoft's Windows XP Professional Repair Install step by step (* Including Delete Partition)
http://www.windowsxpprofessional.windowsreinstall.com/sp2sp3installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

Microsoft's Windows XP Home Repair Install step by step (* Including Delete Partition)
http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/sp2sp3installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

* Warning deleting the Partition will remove all User data and Windows system files

It worked! Thank you very very much kimsland!!! :grinthumb

FYI - the recovery disks that came with the computer looked nothing like the tutorial you posted. It was a snazzy interface done by eMachines. VERY simple just time consuming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back