Cant install linux onto a partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragez0r

k.. so.. i made a partition using partition magic for red hat linux.. i boot into it.. using the cd's... everythings fine.. then its the part where it asks me to partition stuff.. i chose manual (druid)
i click on the partition i made for linux
which is on C: /dev/hda ????

it tells me
"you have not defind a root partition (/) which is required for installation of red had linux etc.."

help please ?

thanks

Are you sure that its not asking for "/boot" boot partition

when u install linux to my knowledge u need 3 partitions "/boot" "/" both of these in ext3 format and then a "swap" in swap funily enough

nope.. im quoting exactly what i saw.. and please.. this partitioning crap is new to me.. and linux even newer.. i need simplicity here

thanks

Use PM to delete the Linux partition and use Auto rather than manual and it will offer to use unallocated space. It will then create the needed partitions.

KindledSpirit said:
when u install linux to my knowledge u need 3 partitions "/boot" "/" both of these in ext3 format and then a "swap" in swap funily enough
Actually, you only need one, "/". Swap partition is not mandatory, only recommended. If there are no other partitions like /boot, /home, /usr, they'll appear as subdirectories of /. (well, they do that even if they are separate partitions)

ragez0r said:
k.. so.. i made a partition using partition magic for red hat linux.. i boot into it.. using the cd's... everythings fine.. then its the part where it asks me to partition stuff.. i chose manual (druid)
i click on the partition i made for linux
which is on C: /dev/hda ????

it tells me
"you have not defind a root partition (/) which is required for installation of red had linux etc.."

help please ?

thanks

You are supposed to choose the format for the partition and the mount point.
Choose Ext3 and / as the mount point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back