TechSpot

cant install linux onto a partition

By ragez0r
Jun 25, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k.. so.. i made a partition using partition magic for red hat linux.. i boot into it.. using the cd's... everythings fine.. then its the part where it asks me to partition stuff.. i chose manual (druid)
    i click on the partition i made for linux
    which is on C: /dev/hda ????

it tells me
    "you have not defind a root partition (/) which is required for installation of red had linux etc.."

help please ?

thanks

2. KindledSpirit

KindledSpirit TS Rookie Posts: 25

Are you sure that its not asking for "/boot" boot partition

when u install linux to my knowledge u need 3 partitions "/boot" "/" both of these in ext3 format and then a "swap" in swap funily enough

3. ragez0r

ragez0r TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 106

nope.. im quoting exactly what i saw.. and please.. this partitioning crap is new to me.. and linux even newer.. i need simplicity here

thanks

4. IronDuke

IronDuke TS Rookie Posts: 1,267

Use PM to delete the Linux partition and use Auto rather than manual and it will offer to use unallocated space. It will then create the needed partitions.

5. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Actually, you only need one, "/". Swap partition is not mandatory, only recommended. If there are no other partitions like /boot, /home, /usr, they'll appear as subdirectories of /. (well, they do that even if they are separate partitions)

6. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

You are supposed to choose the format for the partition and the mount point.
    Choose Ext3 and / as the mount point.

7. ragez0r

ragez0r TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 106

thank you. ill give that a try

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.