Can't install nvidia graphic drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys

I recently installed a 260m GTX in my laptop. When I try to install drivers from nvidia the the install wizard tell me that there is no supported hardware and then it exits. I think this might be because my laptop also has a integrated GPU? Is there any way to force the drivers to install or something?

Thanks!
//Matrolz

Have you disabled the integrated GPU?
If the integrated GPU was Intel or ATI then you'll need to clean the drivers out also.
Generic nVidia drivers may not work on a proprietry (branded) system. I would look first at your laptop manufacturers website for the their latest nVidia driver package.

Hi dividebyzero

Thanks for your response. The integrated GPU is intel. I'll try to clean those away too.
The problem is that my laptop didn't come with any 200-series GPU, so the manufacture hasn't released any for my model.

A quick check of the nVidia Forceware drivers http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook_winvista_win7_195.62_whql.html
seems to show that the new driver package supports a huge range of mobile GPU's.
The latest driver package from your laptop vendor would also probably be applicable to your new card. Could be worth a quick email or phone call to their support people to confirm this.
I would browse your laptop manufacturers current model lineup to see if the 260M is included as a standard fit or as an option. If so then likely their support could confirm a driver fit for your needs.

I have tried almost all drivers from nvidia which support my GPU. I have also tried to install drivers which come with a new model of my laptop, which has the 260m GTX. Still didn't work.

When I turn on the laptop, I can choose which GPU to boot on, so there's only one going at a time. I tried to boot on the internal GPU, uninstall the driver and then boot on the external and install the nvidia drivers, but it's still the same message. I'm running on drivers from laptopvideo2go ATM, but I'm getting a few bluescreens, so I thought official drivers would be better

What OS are you using? And what driver did you download from laptopvideo2go?
I see they have 195.94 (XP 32 bit), 191.78 (XP x64), 188.36 and 195.62 v1.1 (Vista/W7 32/64bit) listed on their frontpage.

I'm on win7 pro 64bit. I've tried drivers 186.91 to 195.81. The only one I didn't get the yellow warning in device manager with was 186.91, so that's the one I'm using. I've also tried on vista with same result.

All can suggest is that you use the outdated driver-unless your laptop manufacturer's support can suggest a better alternative. Hopefully the driver stays usable and doesn't BSOD too often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back