Can't load Win XP Pro on Intel mobo DX58SO2

Poppa Bear

I have just upgraded to an Intel DX58SO2 Extreme range mobo, with i7 960 CPU; 3 X 2 GB kit of Corsair Dominator C7 RAM; Gigabyte GTX 550 Ti graphics card; I x TB Black Western Digital SATA Hard Drive.

The Intel operating manual for this motherboard says it supports Windows XP 32 & 64 bit systems.

When I tried to load Windows 32bit XP Pro SP2, it loaded the DOS programs on the RAM, but every time it reached the point where it says "Starting Windows", it would BSOD with the following error message:

Stop: 0X0000067B (0XF78D25240XC0000034.0X00000000.0X00000000)

I am able to do a clean install of Windows 7 64bit Ultimate by itself without any problem.

I've updated the BIOS and tried various variations to it, but all with the same result.

My intention is to have both XP Pro and Win 7 Ult 64 bit loaded on the hard drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

is there a previous OS on the system?

You have to install XP first. If there is win 7 on there, it won't work.

from M$ website:

Device Driver Issues
You may receive a "Stop 0x0000007B" error message in the following scenarios:

A device driver that the computer boot controller needs is not configured to start during the startup process.
A device driver that the computer boot controller needs is corrupted.
Information in the Windows XP registry (information related to how the device drivers load during startup) is corrupted.

Windows XP requires a miniport driver to communicate with the hard disk controller that is used to start your computer. If Windows XP does not supply a device driver for your controller or if Windows XP is using a corrupted or incompatible driver, you must replace the driver with a valid copy that is compatible with your controller and Windows XP.

During the first phase of the Windows XP installation, Setup displays the following message at the bottom of the screen:
Press F6 if you have to install a third-party SCSI or RAID driver.
Press F6 and then follow the instructions to install a mass-storage device driver from your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM). For additional information about using F6 to load an OEM device driver to support, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
314859 Limited OEM driver support is available with F6 during Windows XP Setup
To determine if your hard disk controller is compatible with Windows XP and to obtain information about drivers that are included on the Windows XP CD-ROM or that are available for download, see the latest Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List (HCL). For additional information about the latest Windows XP HCL, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
314062 The latest Windows XP hardware compatibility list
If your hard disk controller is not listed on the HCL, contact the manufacturer of your computer, system board, or hard disk controller for information about the availability of a driver. Microsoft does not guarantee that a resolution is available for non-HCL equipment. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
315239 Microsoft support policy for hardware that does not appear on the Windows HCL
If the System hive in the Windows XP registry is corrupted, Windows XP may not be able to load the miniport device driver that the boot controller requires. To resolve this issue, restore a registry backup. For additional information about restoring a registry backup, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
307545 How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting
Back to the top
Hardware Issues
You may receive a "Stop 0x0000007B" error message if there is a resource conflict between the boot controller and another controller or between SCSI devices. You may also receive this Stop error message if drive translation is not being performed or if drive translation was changed. To troubleshoot this issue:

If an IRQ or I/O port address conflict exists between the boot controller and another controller, Windows XP either stops responding (hangs) or displays a "Stop 0x0000007B" error message. If you recently added new hardware, remove the new hardware or reconfigure it so that it does not conflict with the resources of any other installed controllers.
If you are using a SCSI hard disk, check the SCSI chain for correct termination. Remove any unused SCSI devices or make sure that each SCSI ID is unique.
Make sure that drive translation is turned on (if it is required) and that it has not been changed. For example, if you recently switched controllers, this issue may occur. For additional information about this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
314082 You receive a Stop 0x0000007b error after you move the Windows XP system disk to another computer

Back to the top
Other Issues
Other potential causes of a "Stop 0x0000007B" error message include:

The boot volume is corrupted and cannot be initiated by Windows XP. If the file system is corrupted and if Windows XP cannot initiate the boot volume during the startup process, either move the drive to another computer that is running Windows XP and run the chkdsk command on that drive or try to create a parallel installation of Windows XP on the drive (in a separate folder). The Windows XP Setup program checks the integrity of the volume before it copies files, and it may fix some problems in the process.
You are installing Windows XP on a mirrored boot partition that was created by Microsoft Windows NT 4.0. Windows XP does not support Windows NT 4.0 Ftdisk volume sets. If you are running Microsoft Windows 2000, you must convert all Ftdisk volume sets to dynamic volumes before you upgrade to Windows XP. If you are running Windows NT 4.0, break any mirrors and back up all the data on the stripe, the RAID5, or the extended volume sets before you upgrade to Windows XP. Ftdisk sets might not be accessible after the upgrade.

Back to the top
General Troubleshooting
If none of the issues that have been described in this article apply to you, use the following general troubleshooting steps:

If you receive one of these error messages while you are installing Windows XP, update the computer BIOS or obtain Windows XP drivers for your hard disk controller (from the manufacturer of your computer, system board, or hard disk controller), or do both. For information about how to update your computer's BIOS or obtain Windows XP drivers, contact your computer manufacturer. For additional information about the availability of drivers, see the Device Driver Issues section in this article.

Note: If Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000 was installed previously on a mirrored boot partition, see the Other Issues section in this article.
Use the Last Known Good Configuration feature. This may resolve the problem if you recently installed an incompatible device driver for your boot controller. For additional information about using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
307852 How To start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature in Windows XP
Use the Repair option with Windows XP Setup. For additional information about repairing Windows XP by using the Setup program, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
315341 How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
Restore a registry backup. For additional information about restoring a registry backup, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
307545 How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting

is there a previous OS on the system?

You have to install XP first. If there is win 7 on there, it won't work.
Hi Tedster,

Thanks for the MS reference and all the info in your reply.

It is a brand new PC that I have just built from the ground up. My intention was to boot it from the XP installation CD > choose the Repair option > open the partition manager by typing diskpart > create 3 partitions for XP, Win7 Ult and storage.

At that point no other OS had been installed as it was a new hard drive. However, I could not open the Repair option as it gave BSOD as soon as Windows tried to start up.

I will work through the steps shown in the article you sent me.

I have just upgraded to an Intel DX58SO2 Extreme range mobo, with i7 960 CPU; 3 X 2 GB kit of Corsair Dominator C7 RAM; Gigabyte GTX 550 Ti graphics card; I x TB Black Western Digital SATA Hard Drive.
You're using XP with SATA? XP doesn't come with SATA drivers (which would also explain why Win 7 installs but XP won't)

i've never had to solve this problem myself (so i'll defer to others for any further help) but just wanted to point out what i noticed - if that might apply to your problem

You're using XP with SATA? XP doesn't come with SATA drivers (which would also explain why Win 7 installs but XP won't)

i've never had to solve this problem myself (so i'll defer to others for any further help) but just wanted to point out what i noticed - if that might apply to your problem
Hi LookinAround,

Thanks for the input. I'm not 100% sure, but don't think that's the problem. On my current (old) PC, which had a SATA hard drive, the Intel board came with a notice telling how to configure the BIOS if WinXP was being installed. By setting the BIOS as instructed, WinXP Pro loaded straight off without the need to provide any drivers. And further down the track, using the same BIOS set-up, I was able to load Vista Ult on a 2nd partition; and later still added Win7 Ult. Currently I run all 3 systems on the one HD, with a 4th storage partition.

I suspect it's a BIOS issue. Unfortunately there are no IDE slots on this new mobo, so I can't run a floppy, which is the only way to load the mass storage device drivers at boot up from the XP installation CD - as mentioned in the KB314859 article in Tedster's post.

Cheers PB :)

You need to slip drivers into that XP install disc so you no longer get a blue screen. You need the chipset and video drivers mainly.

Use nLite to do that:
http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html
Since making my original post, I noticed in the BIOS under Drive Configuartion > SATA, in the right hand side panel it said: "Just XP OS needs drivers ...."

I created an nLite using WinXP Pro SP2 installation CD, and added SP3 + Nvidia card graphics drivers, but it would not allow me to add the Intel Chipset drivers. I had obtained the chipset drivers from the Intel web site, but it came as a self exe type file, and I didn't know how to extract the driver files themselves from the exe file.

Unfortunately this nLite disc didn't work, so I'm going to contact Intel and ask them exactly which drivers I need. They should know as it's their mobo and CPU.

Thanks everyone for your help. Will keep you posted on any new developments.

I was able to unpack those chipset drivers you needed with 7-zip.
http://www.7-zip.org/
Thanks for that info. I never knew about 7-zip and it was worth doing this post just to get it.

Unzipped the chipset file and slipstreamed what I hope were the correct sub-files. It said in the slipstream notes to be sure to only add the relevant driver files. Intel does not provide any onboard graphics drivers for that model mobo, so I slipstreamed the Gigabyte graphics drivers via nLite.

Unfortunately it did not work. I got the same blue screen so will contact Intel later today and ask what specific drivers I need.

When the XP CD first boots and starts to load it says press F6 if you require RAID or other drivers. It then says press F2 which gives the message: Load a "Windows Automated System Recovery Disc" into the floppy drive. I have obtained a USB floppy drive but wondered where the WASR files can be obtained? Or does that only apply if the OS is already installed but can't be accessed?

Hi PB

I googled a bit and found this guide about adding SATA drives to XP using nLite Install Windows XP on SATA without a Floppy (F6. Hope it might help/shed any new hints

(don't know if these instructions are any different to what you might have tried already)
Hi LookinAround,

Nice to be in touch again. Thanks very much for that input. I think you may have been on the right path from the get go. I'm getting the loan of a USB floppy drive, so may be able to solve it with that, but when I checked the XP installation on my old PC to get the mass storage driver suggested by Tedster in the KB article 314859, namely the Asr.sif and Asrpnp.sif, they were not in the location shown in the web article. Also a search failed to find them. Still haven't had a chance to check with Intel, but will do so ASAP.

Solved

Hi everyone, and thanks for all your help. I had an online chat with tech support at Intel today, and they directed me to the following link for this download "STOR_F6_32_10.1.0.1008_PV.exehttp://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19632&ProdId=3262&lang=eng".

As suggested by Burned, I could only solve this by creating an nLite CD of the Windows installation disc and slipstreaming the drivers from the above link into the image. I also added SP3 while I was on the job. And it worked a treat.

You were absolutely right LookinAround. The RAID/SATA drivers were included in that download. And so also were you, Burned, as it also contained the Chipset drivers. Intel said they were both necessary.

In line with your original post Tedster I had obtained a USB floppy drive and following the method suggested in KB314859 I eventually went to this M$ site here.

I followed these steps to a tee:

1. In System Tools, start the Backup program. When the Backup and Restore Wizard is displayed, click Next.

2. Click Restore Files and Settings, and then click Next.

3. In the What to Restore dialog box, select the media that contains the ASR backup. Ensure that the media is inserted.

4. Expand the Automated System Recovery Backup Set that corresponds to the ASR floppy disk that you want to create.

5. Expand the second instance of the drive letter that contains the system files.

6. Expand the Windows_folder/Repair folder.

7. Click the following files from this repair folder: Asr.sif and Asrpnp.sif, and then click Next.

I was searching in my Windows XP Pro insallation on my old PC, but I couldn't get past Step 3 as it said there was no restore media available. I had previously created a restore point.

I also ran the Search Engine to try and find any Asr.sif or Asrpnp.sif files, but came up empty.

I then put the XP Pro installation disc in the optical drive and searched it, but that also drew a blank.

For the sake of completeness, can anyone tell me what media M$ were referring to in Step 3?

Consequently I could not try this method, which if it had worked would have been a lot easier than having to download drivers and create an nLite image. Even so, I am extemely grateful to everyone for their input that led to a solution. This is a great forum and I'm very appreciative.

Cheers Poppa Bear :wave:

Back